Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Boulevard Outlet. Banbridge. Jack Jones were taking euro for pound in cash.
    Didn't have euros cash on me so paid by Revolut.

Sasso wrote: »
    Boulevard Outlet. Banbridge. Jack Jones were taking euro for pound in cash.
    Didn't have euros cash on me so paid by Revolut.

Is that place still open? It's usually a ghost town any time i visit.

Must look up the website to see what shops are there these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Watch out for the small print though

€ for £*
    *Valentine's day items only

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭horse7

Hadn't been there for years, when up 2 weeks ago. It's a nice day out. They have built a huge Tesco near the shopping mall, and a MC Donald's , which is handy. Clarke's, M&S etc, it's all on the website. No bargains when we were there. Attached on to Tesco is a high home store and more type shop, enjoy.

Thanks guys- I might pay it a visit mid-week when it's quiet and bring a few yoyo's so see what the appetite is to take them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CBCB

was in Banbridge outlets at the weekend. Didn't find any great bargains.
    The Asics outlet in Kildare Village is cheaper.

Some great bargains in Tesco for booze though. 12 cans of 330 ml Punk IPA for £13. 1 ltre Smirnoff £17

• Administrators, Sports Moderators Posts: 21,676 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭smashey

CBCB wrote: »
    was in Banbridge outlets at the weekend. Didn't find any great bargains.
    The Asics outlet in Kildare Village is cheaper.

Some great bargains in Tesco for booze though. 12 cans of 330 ml Punk IPA for £13. 1 ltre Smirnoff £17
    I was there last week and got some good bargains in the Skechers shop and Mountain Warehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Waternotsoda

I have to go to Enniskillen tomorrow. Never been. I was thinking of doing some shopping in my spare time. What's the best place for parking? What are tthe shopping centres /stores like?

When paying should I use my debit visa(Tapping) or credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

In my opinion its better to use cash.

With tap you have to pay the exchange rate the bank charges you on top of the item. If that makes sense.

I don't use a credit card up north so can't advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭horse7

check out the revolut forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

horse7 wrote: »
    check out the revolut forum.

Second that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

I have to go to Enniskillen tomorrow. Never been. I was thinking of doing some shopping in my spare time. What's the best place for parking? What are tthe shopping centres /stores like?

ASDA and TESCO inthe town both have free parking while there is free parking bu the quays, Parked in all three and all are grand and close to shopping. Centres are grand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭5500

Anyone been in the Quays recently and know if they are taking euros or not in Sainsburys ect?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭paska

5500 wrote: »
    Anyone been in the Quays recently and know if they are taking euros or not in Sainsburys ect?

I suspect every shop in the North takes euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

paska wrote: »
    I suspect every shop in the North takes euro.
    Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭admcfad

Sainsbury's are taking Euro notes at the tills.
    They do have a Bureau de change but their rate isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

admcfad wrote: »
    Sainsbury's are taking Euro notes at the tills.
    They do have a Bureau de change but their rate isn't great.

What exchange rate to they give you in the shop? Are you better off paying revolut?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Hogzy wrote: »
    What exchange rate to they give you in the shop? Are you better off paying revolut?

The market / interbank rate is €1.1332 per £1

Revolut are €1.14 (weekend 0.5% above interbank)

Visa are €1.138 + Bank fee of between 1% & 1.75%

At a guess, an in-store exchange will be about €1.15-€1.18 per £1

Yesterday morning I paid for an item online (£300) and my credit card rate worked out at €1.13. An hour later I drove down the road to Strabane and went into the Bureau de Change and bought a small amount of sterling and their rate was just slightly over €1.16.

I was always led to believe that the CC's were more expensive but based on yesterday's experience I think I might just pay by card in the future or withdraw cash from an ATM instead

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭admcfad

Hogzy wrote: »

I always use Revolut. But I keep an eye on the rates offered by the Bureau for cash and I have noticed that they are not giving a fair exchange rate as they would have done 18 months ago. I feel that they are cashing in on the current fall in sterling and not passing on the full benefit of the current exchange rates.

• Advertisement

muffler wrote: »
    Yesterday morning I paid for an item online (£300) and my credit card rate worked out at €1.13. An hour later I drove down the road to Strabane and went into the Bureau de Change and bought a small amount of sterling and their rate was just slightly over €1.16.

Are you sure it was €1.13 and not 87p/€1?

A lot of people make this error.

Considering the interbank rate was €1.133/£1, it would be impossible to get a rate better than this unless it was an error.

If it says a gbp to eur rate of 87p, then the eur to gbp rate is €1.15. (or €1.1494 to be precise)

A lot of people make this error.

Considering the interbank rate was €1.133/£1, it would be impossible to get a rate better than this unless it was an error.

If it says a gbp to eur rate of 87p, then the eur to gbp rate is €1.15. (or €1.1494 to be precise)

Edit - if online purchase was Friday morning, the interbank rate was hovering at €1.136 until about 2pm when it moved back to 1.133.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I was always led to believe that the CC's were more expensive but based on yesterday's experience I think I might just pay by card in the future or withdraw cash from an ATM instead
    Was that using a credit card from a bog standard bank? When you make an FX transaction on these cards, the pending transaction that appears is just an estimate based on the MasterCard/Visa FX rate on the day of the transaction and doesn't include the bank fees.

The FX rate you actually get will be the MC/Visa rate on the day the transaction is finalised so may be higher or lower. Also, the bank fees will be applied at this stage so the effective FX rate you're getting will be significantly worse.

CC rate always cheaper in my experience - at least mine is.

Darc19 wrote: »
    The cost of the item was £299.99 and €338.71 is the charge showing on my CC account so that equates to £1 = €1.129 or €1.13 as stated above.

Quackster wrote: »
    Was that using a credit card from a bog standard bank?
    Avant card.

Quackster wrote: »
    When you make an FX transaction on these cards, the pending transaction that appears is just an estimate based on the MasterCard/Visa FX rate on the day of the transaction and doesn't include the bank fees.
    The €338.71 is showing as pending but based on past experience this usually ends up as the actual amount charged.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The cost of the item was £299.99 and €338.71 is the charge showing on my CC account so that equates to £1 = €1.129 or €1.13 as stated above.

Avant card.

The €338.71 is showing as pending but based on past experience this usually ends up as the actual amount charged.

Well the Avant Card FX fee is 2.65% on top of the MasterCard rate so this should be better than any Bureau de Change I would reckon. You'd save that 2.65% if you used Curve with your credit card (or indeed Revolut) instead.

Avant card.

It's either a minor error or the retailer had a set rate programmed in @1.13 as interbank rate did not drop below 1.1318 Thursday or Friday. Visa rate was 1.1357 for Fri https://www.visa.ie/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html

Bank commission is now shown as a separate charge as per eu regs, So possibly you'll see their 2.65% fee as a charge in itself.

Overall, I find using cards is best value esp as you don't end up with a pocketful of blighty coin :)

Just to update the thread as the actual charge is now registered on my CC account. item purchased in Argos cost £299.99. Initially a payment of €338.71 was showing on the statement as "pending". That figure has now changed to €341.31 but there is also the separate foreign currency charge of €9.04 making a grand total of €350.35 :eek:

How does a man get one of these Revolut cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just to update the thread as the actual charge is now registered on my CC account. item purchased in Argos cost £299.99. Initially a payment of €338.71 was showing on the statement as "pending". That figure has now changed to €341.31 but there is also the separate foreign currency charge of €9.04 making a grand total of €350.35 :eek:

How does a man get one of these Revolut cards?

It'll be your best decision....

You will get a card and free credit once you top up...

I found it great in UK and online.

Advertisement