Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have you ever met an actual Psychopath?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Dognapper

hayoc wrote: »
    My ex husband.

He was living a completely secret double life for some (maybe all) of our marriage. Never gave away any hints. No remorse when he was found out. No empathy.

That doesn’t make him a psychopath

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

I don't think so.
    Mad people think they are sane and everyone else around them are crackers.

I think that no, normally they wouldn't know unless they are tested or someone points it out to them

One unsettling thing I read is how some psychopaths mimic "human" behaviour. For example, trying to cry when they think the situation calls for it but they can't do it right and apparently it sounds and looks hideous - unlike real crying which sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Wars are started by normal people. politicians

A lot of high ranking politicians are psychopaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

Dognapper wrote: »
    That doesn’t make him a psychopath

Maybe, maybe not. His entire life was a lie - both threads of it. He was lying to me, his family, etc - and then in his "other" life he was lying to the people in that. For YEARS. I have no idea how he was able to maintain it over that long. He completely disregarded the feelings of everyone in "both" lives.

Manipulating those around him to suit his own agenda.
    No empathy.
    God complex.
    Socially irresponsible behaviour - rules didnt apply to him.
    Compulsive liar.
    Extremely deceitful.
    No real friends - inability to form emotional connections.
    Sometimes he faked how he thought he should behave in situations and would say afterwards that he hadnt a clue how he was supposed to act so he did what he thought was right.
    Complete inability to understand someone elses emotional pain - but pretended to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I don't think so.
    Mad people think they are sane and everyone else around them are crackers.

I would say they realize on their own that they are different. Or that we are different from them.

Or that people are more emotionally reactive than they are.

In fact I would say its going to be hard for them not to realize they are different.

If they didn't know. They wouldn't be able to construct the mask that conceals this.

I.E they wouldn't know to hide it from us.

If they didn't know they were different from us ..they wouldn't know they should pretend to be like us.

The person pretending to be overly empathic ..is a psycho.

The person who is volunteering publically for every charity ...

• Advertisement

Maybe, maybe not. His entire life was a lie - both threads of it. He was lying to me, his family, etc - and then in his "other" life he was lying to the people in that. For YEARS. I have no idea how he was able to maintain it over that long. He completely disregarded the feelings of everyone in "both" lives.

Manipulating those around him to suit his own agenda.
    No empathy.
    God complex.
    Socially irresponsible behaviour - rules didnt apply to him.
    Compulsive liar.
    Extremely deceitful.
    No real friends - inability to form emotional connections.
    Sometimes he faked how he thought he should behave in situations and would say afterwards that he hadnt a clue how he was supposed to act so he did what he thought was right.
    Complete inability to understand someone elses emotional pain - but pretended to.

Oh , see that paints a bigger picture. Maybe you do have a point

A lot of high ranking politicians are psychopaths.
    No ....i would say a lot of them are nuerotypical.

Society has to stop blaming its woes on the 'wolf'.

WE ALLOW our politicians to do this ..we are psychos to then?

Look at the States!? Trumpers ...every single person who voted for a man who clearly displayed who he was ? Are they all ASPD? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Knew a psychopath years ago was good friends with him, he smashed his wife's head in with a barbell then carried on as if nothing had happened, he didn't see any wrong in what he had done she was in the way of what he wanted to do and who he wanted to be with and the easiest way to do it was to get rid of the wife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

Oh , see that paints a bigger picture. Maybe you do have a point

I also found out that he had had a diagnosis of "borderline" psychopathy in childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

There is a lot more to it than that
    glib and superficial charm grandiose (exaggeratedly high) estimation of self need for stimulation pathological lying cunning and manipulativeness lack of remorse or guilt superficial expression of emotion callousness and lack of empathy parasitic lifestyle poor behavioural controls sexual promiscuity early behaviour problems lack of realistic long-term goals impulsive irresponsibility failure to accept responsibility for own actions many short-term marital relationships juvenile delinquency revocation of conditional release criminal versatility

it's unsettling how many boxes a certain US politician ticks here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Knew a psychopath years ago was good friends with him, he smashed his wife's head in with a barbell then carried on as if nothing had happened, he didn't see any wrong in what he had done she was in the way of what he wanted to do and who he wanted to be with and the easiest way to do it was to get rid of the wife.
    Jaysus - Joe?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Jaysus - Joe?

Aye I rang him the day of the murder his answer when he picked up the phone was you heard then? had a tour around the house off him after her murder cool as ice nasty piece of work still doesn't see any wrong in what he did

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Maybe.

I know a guy who is the main suspect in his wife's murder but they hadn't enough to get him on the murder charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    What's the difference a psychopath and a sociopath?

I was watching a movie once, one character called another a psychopath, which engaged him and he responded
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a sociopath. There's a difference. See, a psychopath is insane. He can't distinguish between wrong and right. A sociopath knows the difference. He just doesn't have a conscience, you know? So he doesn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

The Guard was it? Brendan Gleeson.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Nidge

I also found out that he had had a diagnosis of "borderline" psychopathy in childhood.

I hope you’re happier without him so , I don’t know , I have a few traits of one myself , no friends , no remorse or empathy for people , I can lie with a straight face. I however love my wife and kids more than anything and will always put them before myself or anyone else ,I’ve never cheated on my wife and I always try to be a kind person , I think it’s a broad spectrum and a lot more too it than the eyes can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Yester wrote: »
    Do psychopaths know that they are psychopaths?

Do psychopaths know how to use a cyclepath

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You meet plenty in business

Kylta wrote: »
    Do psychopaths know how to use a cyclepath
    cyclops ....for no partic reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I met Graham Dwyer a handful of times. Does he count?

I reckon so, I worked with him for 3 years :o

Defo counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

cyclops ....for no partic reason

A cyclops is just misconstrued as a one eye monster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭inthenip

Piers Morgan interviews psychopath on Netflix, jaysus still gives me chills thinking about it. It's well worth a watch.

Paris Bennett is the guy's name. They guy has no emotion. His IQ is through the roof as well.

I feel the above disgusting monster ....is just someone who was over ridden by negative emotions.

This is not someone who feels nothing. He strikes me as someone who let his negative emotions overwhelm him.

Not a very logical person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

There is a very reasonable chance that we may all have encountered a psychopath at some point in our lives.

We may not have realised it at the time but they say that psychopathy may be more prevalent that you'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I REMEMBER SEEING THIS.

It gave me uncomfortable dreams.

That guy seems definitely much more like a psychopath. The guy with the long curly hair. He always tries to keep the masks up.

You meet plenty in business
    And politics. They tend to do well in those fields. A lot of CEOs they reckon and leading politicians, they will do whatever it takes to get to the top and have no real loyalties to co-workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

inthenip wrote: »
    Piers Morgan interviews psychopath on Netflix, jaysus still gives me chills thinking about it. It's well worth a watch.

Paris Bennett is the guy's name. They guy has no emotion. His IQ is through the roof as well.

Yeah, I saw this. Did you notice how infrequently he blinked? And how there was always a pause before he answered the questions. You could practically hear the cogs in his head whirring. Not really human at all.

I think there's a lot of confusion between psychopathy and sociopathy on this thread. They are not the same thing at all. And don't assume that narcissists aren't dangerous. The presence of narcissism with ASPD is what creates a true monster. Think Ian Brady.

• Advertisement

Was that the guy who killed his brother when they were kids and made it look like an accident. he had it all pre-planned.

He couldn't understand that it is wrong to kill innocent people :confused:
    People who did the slightest wrong thing to him were in trouble, he tried to kill his boss too.
    The only time he showed any real emotion was when talking about how his boss had survived: you could see on his face that he was furious that he hadn't managed to kill him.

I saw a show about a woman in US who had 3 kids, single mother. She was going out with a man, but when she wanted to get more serious he said he didn't want a serious relationship or marriage.
    She thought it must be because I have kids, that's why, so she hatched a plot to murder her children and pin the blame on a non-existent hitch hiker.
    How broken does somebody have to be to think that that is the correct course of action to take.

No emotions displayed for her kids (luckily one of them survived), it was the logical thing to do in her mind :(

Advertisement