Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much money left after closing

• 20-08-2020 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

I wonder, how much money do people usually have left after securing a mortgage, closing on a property, and paying all the appropriate fees?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I wonder, how much money do people usually have after securing a mortgage, closing on a property, and paying all the appropriate fees?

Depends on how much you start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Dav010 wrote: »
    Depends on how much you start with.

What I meant by the question is:

Is it better to go with the lowest mortgage possible, even though it may leave you with little savings?

Mortgage A: 300000 for a property worth 360000 at 2.7% equals a total cost of credit of 138 k
    Mortgage B: 270000 for the same property and same rate equals a total cost of credit of 124k

That’s a difference of 14k in interest for the life of the mortgage.

Do you think it’s worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

What I meant by the question is:

Is it better to go with the lowest mortgage possible, even though it may leave you with little savings?

Mortgage A: 300000 for a property worth 360000 at 2.7% equals a total cost of credit of 138 k
    Mortgage B: 270000 for the same property and same rate equals a total cost of credit of 124k

That’s a difference of 14k in interest for the life of the mortgage.

Do you think it’s worth it?

14K over 20 years is 700 euro a year
    What will 700 euro be worth in 10 years time.
    If you intend to put the 30k into the property or save it for a rainy day then go with the bigger mortgage
    If you intend blowing it on a Vegas holiday then go for the smaller mortgage
    There again a 30k car loan at 2.7% does not make a lot of sense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I would say go for the bigger mortgage, have the savings on hand in case some unexpected expenses pop up, there will always be some with a new house.

If in a year or twos time you still have all the savings you can overpay or just get a new smaller mortgage if you want, that way you will pay a fairly small amount extra interest. Taking the bigger mortgage gives you flexibility and gives you more options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 frankzappa

Interested in this as we doing the same mental exercise.
    Let's say you buy a turn-key recently renovated property (hence no immediate maintenance expected), what do you guys think is a good safety margin in terms of savings to keep?
    I will be immediately left with, more or less, 12/18 months of full living cost, saying that me and my partner both lose our job immediately, we would be able to live up to 18 months. I know it is not an exact science, but wondering what do you guys think of that?

About the OP, i would prefer borrowing more, doing the simple math, if you put those 30k into something that returns 4% on annual basis you would get ~97k after 30 yr, more than 3 times. Just saying..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

frankzappa wrote: »
    Interested in this as we doing the same mental exercise.
    Let's say you buy a turn-key recently renovated property (hence no immediate maintenance expected), what do you guys think is a good safety margin in terms of savings to keep?
    I will be immediately left with, more or less, 12/18 months of full living cost, saying that me and my partner both lose our job immediately, we would be able to live up to 18 months. I know it is not an exact science, but wondering what do you guys think of that?

About the OP, i would prefer borrowing more, doing the simple math, if you put those 30k into something that returns 4% on annual basis you would get ~97k after 30 yr, more than 3 times. Just saying..

The value of your investments can fall as well as rise.
    I would not be borrowing to invest.
    Borrow extra to have a rainy day fund for sure or to put into the house ,but not for investment,holidays or luxury purchases

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I think for the world we live in now where we do not know what covid part two will look like I would be happier with a cash buffer , assuming your fixing for 3 years you can change your mind in 3 years time with very little of the savings lost , but that 30K could be a huge in either bridging a gap in the near future or to invest in the recovery if we see a crash.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

We've earmarked a chunk of our savings that won't be used towards the deposit (or legal fees etc in relation to buying the house). We have a few reasons for this:
    - We're getting married next year (was supposed to be next month...) so need savings to pay for that, even though it will be a fairly modest affair by Irish standards.
    - Our car is quite old and on it's last legs. We'd prefer not to take out a car loan, so we're keeping money aside for a new second hand car that we might need in the not too distant future.
    - Furniture etc for the new house.
    - And a little extra aside for unforeseen expenses or a rainy day.

Advertisement