Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shopify or Woocommerce

Options
  • 14-08-2020 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

A client was asking me to quote on an ecommerce site recently. I haven't done too many ecommerce sites to be honest but what I have done I have done with Wordpress / Woocommerce.

The client mentioned Shopify. It kind of stopped me in my tracks. They could pretty much rig it up themselves and all for about 25EUR a month. 300, a year! Aside from the initial cost of setting up the Wordpress / Woocommerce site there is going to be an annual recurring charge of around 500 when you include domain, hosting, ssl cert and a developer to keep WP and plugings up to date! SSL, hosting and security are all managed for them on Shopify. Having the security taken is a huge headache out of the way!

I will probably pass up on this if shopify is the best option, I don't know enough about it to sell it as a service to someone.

I know there is a bit more flexibility with WP/woocommerce but I started to feel I'd be selling this person a pup by sending them down the woocommerce route.

What do people here think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

dahayeser wrote: »
    A client was asking me to quote on an ecommerce site recently. I haven't done too many ecommerce sites to be honest but what I have done I have done with Wordpress / Woocommerce.

The client mentioned Shopify. It kind of stopped me in my tracks. They could pretty much rig it up themselves and all for about 25EUR a month. 300, a year! Aside from the initial cost of setting up the Wordpress / Woocommerce site there is going to be an annual recurring charge of around 500 when you include domain, hosting, ssl cert and a developer to keep WP and plugings up to date! SSL, hosting and security are all managed for them on Shopify. Having the security taken is a huge headache out of the way!

I will probably pass up on this if shopify is the best option, I don't know enough about it to sell it as a service to someone.

I know there is a bit more flexibility with WP/woocommerce but I started to feel I'd be selling this person a pup by sending them down the woocommerce route.

What do people here think?

Depends on what they are selling.

I initially had a shopify shop for my business but quickly moved to wordpress and never looked back because woo just suits what I sell better by allowing me to use advanced product addons and take advantage of things like conditional logic (which I couldn't do at the time on shopify).

Advertisement