Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainfall/Drought Watch 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Danzy wrote: »
    Grass roots are related to the plant above ground, so 8f you have a foot of grass you'll have a deep and large root ball, if you cut it back to an inch approx, 90% of the root will die back.

Didn't know this, but thanks. Grass growth is stunted a little around these parts but colour is maintained. We just had enough rain over the last few weeks to keep things from dulling down.

Edit, for what it is worth, here is the latest forecast totals out to midnight Sunday. Does seem to be a bit of a scale back, with no real useful amounts at all for more southern (of which parts has had their fair share of rain recently) and eastern parts.

FR060gK.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If the weather models verify, the weather is looking better than the previous days, as we may get rain next week.
    For me, rain is good weather. We badly need it or things will eventually be bad for everyone where rainfall has been way below normal for months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Didn't know this, but thanks. Grass growth is stunted a little around these parts but colour is maintained. We just had enough rain over the last few weeks to keep things from dulling down.

Edit, for what it is worth, here is the latest forecast totals out to midnight Sunday. Does seem to be a bit of a scale back, with no real useful amounts at all for more southern (of which parts has had their fair share of rain recently) and eastern parts.

FR060gK.png
    Looks like I'm in line for some rain. Friends a few km away aren't. I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,213 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Grass is growing at about a qtr of normal in much of the country.

With the hard wind of the past few weeks sucking moisture out of the ground and keeping things cool well see June be a scorcher and really put the tin hat on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

A lot of rain between now and the end of the month now showing.

Some relief on the way for farmers but misery for the rest of us. What do I do with the kids now that the 50 day dry spell is over? Previous to that we had a 231 day wet spell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭eon1208

Yes. Some soft rain badly needed. However I want to make a bit of golden hay about the 10th June. Would be bliss to get a bit of northern blocking then and a few days of lovely sunshine. Need the rain now and a dry section in June.

Some rainfall stats since April 1st and up to yesterday from all of the reporting Met Eireann stations. Note that 3 days of data is missing for Ballyhaise for the end of April period so data for this station on this table is incomplete.

jmzirRS.png

Source of Data:
    https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/daily-data

New Moon

0.8mm here since midnight. Floods! Seriously though, even that small amount when combined with the saturated air (which ensures low evaporation rates) is welcome if just for the garden and pots.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Dry weather, Gorse Fire below the Hellfire Club Dublin

a9dAFQg.jpg

UAauz5U.png

I mentioned this I think earlier in the thread, but it still bugs me a little.

Here are the daily totals for May so far regarding Casement Aerodrome, as taken from the 'Daily data' page on Met Eireann.

ST0cRpI.png

Yet, when one is to refer to their 'monthly data' page, it shows that rainfall totals for this month so far is 3.7mm.

gOb5Tkq.png

This seems to happen a lot, not just for Casement, but randomly for others stations as well. Does anyone know if there is a different methodology used to obtain these monthly totals as opposed to using the standard sum of daily totals? As there is nothing stated beneath the monthly page to state that there would be.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a different methodology used to obtain these monthly totals as opposed to using the standard sum of daily totals? As there is nothing stated beneath the monthly page to state that there would be.

That is an interesting quirk Oneric 3. Looking at your charts, the 1.6mm (or part of it) from May 1st could actually belong to April!

Climate measurements are taken at 9am UTC (10am Summer Time) and any rainwater in the gauge that morning on May 1st gets "thrown back" into April.

However, upon investigation there was no rain between 00hrs and 10hrs on May 1st at Casement - so this discrepancy leaves me baffled!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Collected 4,8 mm during Monday here in SW Mayo. The ground has softened a little bit...
    More during the week, esp. Thursday night and Friday, I hope. Never thought I would ever say this during winter, but the garden needs it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭pauldry

A mighty good storm on Thursday night Friday. Was going to go to garden centre Thursday but the flowers will be destroyed by this.

I dont think this storm will bring huge rainfall though. Maybe 10mm. Then its drier again for another week with a risk of high pressure especially South and East

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Had 4mm this week in North Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I am dying for a day when is lashes heavy rain all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Comhrá

bazermc wrote: »
    I am dying for a day when is lashes heavy rain all day.

Careful what you wish for now - you know how it goes in Ireland when a long dry spell ends. ;)

Comhra wrote: »
    Careful what you wish for now - you know how it goes in Ireland when a long dry spell ends. ;)

Lol yes, but I am wishing for it!!

Comhra wrote: »

It gives Ireland back its 40 shades of green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Did it rain last night?

It looks like this so called storm is going to be a fairly regional affair albeit windy everywhere for a day or so. But the rainfall could be pretty modest in the east/south east.

Did it rain last night?

It looks like this so called storm is going to be a fairly regional affair albeit windy everywhere for a day or so. But the rainfall could be pretty modest in the east/south east.

Here in north Kilkenny we had 0.6mm of rain last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

RobertKK wrote: »

Zero in Arklow
    Its already much warmer than yesterday here despite the "cold front"

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

In Dublin 16, just 1.6mm so far for May. Total for March was 20.0mm and April 20.6mm. So, 42.2mm for Spring so far.

Grass looking very summer 2018!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭pad199207

RobertKK wrote: »

Ditto in Kildare 0.6mm

Is it raining yet?

bazermc wrote: »
    Is it raining yet?

Coming down by the bucketload in midwest, and heartily welcomed by my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That's a good dollop of rain moving across the country tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Actually excited waiting for some decent rain, my garden is parched. Miss hearing it against the bedroom skylight.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭pad199207

Still parched in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

pad199207 wrote: »
    Still parched in Kildare

Ay7BAurmvpZrK6LN0NiGPtmvCLeGRu61TZK7iHv8BC3IruA35GUK3vwSakivHZW4t0cOtNi9gvtRPIqa-TGcNzza9bwzNLmVsUstizYr23ZyQBGS22o5f_oxDqnc_wrhypWx0yZ2nym9uO8o6TK2LogxItM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Just started raining in Arklow now

Advertisement