Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Setting up a residents committee

• 12-02-2020 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Our estate is approx. 20 years old and has just over 50 houses. While its a nice place to live, it could be better. There is no residents committee and I am thinking to set up one.

Does anyone have any tips on getting this started? For example, should I just book a local venue e.g. the village pub and invite people via a flyer through their letter box? What should we aim to do/cover at the first meeting? I want to make sure that that initial meeting doesn't end up going round in circles without any outcomes/conclusions.
    While I know a good few people here to say hi to, this would be my first proper interaction with most of them, and I don't want to make a twit of myself. Any tips/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Get two or three others onside before you schedule a meeting. Talk to neighbours now so that you have some critical mass before calling a meeting.

If you don't already have a WhatsApp group, set one up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Hi,

Maybe I can help as we just set one up in our estate.

Firstly, you need to ask yourself about the aim of the committee. How could your estate be better? Cosmetics/Crime - huge variance here!

It is definitely an idea to set up a whatsapp group. Neighbours will probably have each other's numbers and the group should grow quickly. We have an estate whatsapp group and then a rezi com whatsapp group.

Our committee comprises of a Chairperson (retired man so it's great - he has time to meet contractors etc) , a secretary and a treasurer. We then have 4 other standing members who represent the estate. We are a small estate though - only about 20 houses.

I assume your estate is managed by the council? Ours is in limbo between developer who has done a runner and the council who are now finally taking legal action against them as they have failed in the obligations to maintain the estate - it has been a very long process trying to get the council to listen to our concerns. It has taken recent storms for them to take the matter seriously as we have had some dangerous street lighting issues for example.

We also made a constitution (easily available through a google search) set up a bank account (for maintenance / landscaping) and just had our first AGM. As a committee we meet about once a quarter.

If you've any particular questions, feel free to contact me.

Good luck

Advertisement