Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty housemates

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭4Marie

Or you could add to the mess, ehem be clever. And give them no choice but to clean up after themselves . Be creative!! Don't get worked up about them ☺ï¸Â

If there dirty dishes are stacked up . Adjust them so that it might fall.

Use every piece of cutlery so there nothing left to use . Forcing them to do something.

Try get one of them on side by bringing up something other than cleaning up

Organise an inspection from the landlord

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I'm an owner occupier slob with a reasonably clean tenant. We were honest when he moved in. We're not too bad but the kitchen does sometimes get left. Just one of those things living with people.

I only say this to it fair do's if you want to push back when I say what on earth were you cleaning for 4 hours! I'd get the whole house done in that time, twice, and to a good standard. I wouldn't do it again for 3 months but 4 hours?!

Definitely some chillaxing needed IMO OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Jonti wrote: »
    Move out and leave them to wallow in their own ****!!

Or to say it another way, find a bunch of neat-freaks, and move in with them instead. Everyone will be a lot happier.

what on earth were you cleaning for 4 hours! I'd get the whole house done in that time, twice, and to a good standard. I wouldn't do it again for 3 months but 4 hours?!

This. One time I had a leg injury that meant I couldn't do any housework for a month. So I got allocated home-help of of 2 hours/week. The first week was ok 'cos there was a build-up, but after that there was no way I could keep the woman busy for 2 hours. Modern houses just don't get that dirty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I imagine theres good and bad of both. I havent ever lived with anybody as bad as to leave several bags of rubbish about but anecdotally most girls ive lived with have kept their own rooms very untidy - not unhygienic but very messy.

Give me messy over unhygienic any day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You only need to get the owner occupier onside. Get him to increase the rent by €10 each per month and then hire a cleaner. All the advice to move out really ignores how difficult it is to get accommodation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My house is the same, also live with owner occupier. I do 99% of the cleaning, usually the one bringing bins out etc...they'd leave crumbs all over counters, start piling rubbish on the floor, take bag out of bin and leave it in the middle of the floor etc Don't even bother arguing over it. I like things clean (kitchen and bathroom especially) and like things to have their place. They don't. Not going to argue over it. They'll generally do their own dishes (badly) I then just put the badly washed dishes into the dishwasher. If I get really lucky, the owner will empty the dishwasher every once in a while...or if I'm REALLY, REALLY lucky he'll put the recycling bin out.

Just say FFS really loudly when you walk in to the kitchen, take a deep breath and move on. I am at peace by doing this. :)

Would live on my own in a heartbeat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dannyluvsu

Just move.

I'm pretty allergic to mold and had the same trouble with messy housemates. I tried dividing chores, pleading and even going so far as to dump anything I'd find left out or going bad in the fridge (which just makes me sound like a joy to live with, I know).

The only solution was to keep moving until I found housemates who took a little pride in their living-space.

In the end I found people I had more in common with and had a much better time in my home as a result. There's nothing worse than hating the idea of going home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

start piling rubbish on the floor

That's so disgusting. :( Animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Nicola20

I'm an owner occupier slob with a reasonably clean tenant. We were honest when he moved in. We're not too bad but the kitchen does sometimes get left. Just one of those things living with people.

I only say this to it fair do's if you want to push back when I say what on earth were you cleaning for 4 hours! I'd get the whole house done in that time, twice, and to a good standard. I wouldn't do it again for 3 months but 4 hours?!

Definitely some chillaxing needed IMO OP.

I would really have appreciated when I moved in if they were honest about how clean they were happy to keep the kitchen.

The reason it took four hours was because the kitchen had been left so long before that. Fair play for getting the entire house done - do you want to come and clean mine?

The house has gotten better since I brought it up. There is only one person who has a problem, so I have no problem continuing to nag him!

Thanks for all the messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kobe

Exactly my situation now, my roommates are very dirty, I am lucky if they wash their own dishes or wash their own dishes properly, let alone cleaning the kitchen or toilet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Nicola20 wrote: »
    The house has gotten better since I brought it up. There is only one person who has a problem, so I have no problem continuing to nag him!

Thanks for all the messages.

Not your job to nag him considering you live with an owner occupier. Bear in mind if things go sour with the owner then he can have you out of the house very quickly. It is essential that you keep him onside by not going over the top. Continuously nagging someone who you have already indicated has problems does not seem like an especially nice thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Nicola20

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Not your job to nag him considering you live with an owner occupier. Bear in mind if things go sour with the owner then he can have you out of the house very quickly. It is essential that you keep him onside by not going over the top. Continuously nagging someone who you have already indicated has problems does not seem like an especially nice thing to do.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I chose my words poorly but I don't appreciate the character assessment at the end of your message. You don't have any idea the situation I'm in at the moment with this very aggressive housemate.

Thanks for all the messages, have made up my mind now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note Posters please remember to attack the post not the poster. Thanks

Advertisement