Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strong gusts to 130 km/hr will redevelop Thursday after 1500h Mainly Western Counties

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Couple of Spherics off the SW Coast as well , could get sparks anywhere along the coast tonight, and by the looks of it heading inland in the NW.....

2md59oh.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Lightning in Castlebar now

The wind has picked up here outside Newport with some very strong gusts, but no signs of lightning.
    We're only about 7 miles from Castlebar so seems odd that I haven't seen anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

half dozen flashes of lightning here in crossmolina / killala, power flicked for a second,
    one good rattle of thunder, wind has picked up but somehow not as gusty as earlier.. having said that i have a fair bit of shelter from n/w

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kmoneill

Some serious gusts here now in Kerry..

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

I'm looking nw across Donegal Bay and I have to say the lightening is just mad - haven't seen so much in such a short space of time in years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some lovely loud thunder in castlebar now. nice one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

shmaupel wrote: »
    I'm looking nw across Donegal Bay and I have to say the lightening is just mad - haven't seen so much in such a short space of time in years!

Enjoy! it's been years since we have seen a good lightening show here in D24 Firhouse. ...would love something tonight but not a smidgen of a chance. ....

Enjoy! it's been years since we have seen a good lightening show here in D24 Firhouse. ...would love something tonight but not a smidgen of a chance. ....

It really is great craic, reminds me of when I was small, I even got one of my wee fellas out of bed to watch it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    The center also has a small dry core, not sure what this means - if it is to mean anything at all.

4V4mgt.png

Descending air in the eye. Well spotted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

I'm in North Tipp and have seen lightning flashes to the W & NW in the last few minutes. Moon and stars are out too.

• Advertisement

Some lovely loud thunder in castlebar now. nice one!!

We actually heard that, was it on the Newport side by any chance?
    Had a big flash, lit up the entire house and then a rattle of thunder that I thought wouldn't end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Severe gusts for 5 mins about an hour and died down after that

It certainly is a lightning fest for the North west/ west at the moment, hope people are on the look out as it wont be long until you see a flash!

Gust of 117kmph just now. My own personal record since I put the station up last spring!

Edited to add : South Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Fierce wind here at the moment, Rachel was a letdown, but this one isn't!

2100 reports- gust of 63 knots at Newport co.mayo and finner

shmaupel wrote: »
    Gust of 117kmph just now. My own personal record since I put the station up last spring!

Where are you located? I'm on mobile so I can't see your location.

corsav6 wrote: »
    Where are you located? I'm on mobile so I can't see your location.

South Donegal on the coast.

Forgot to add it with excitement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Lightning now Galway city

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Hail and lightning, sweet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Image at 2126.

336969.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Get ready in Dublin region, this looks to be headed past you around midnight to 0200h and there could be some vicious gusts in exposed locations (I would think along coast near Drogheda to Bray, also anywhere a bit higher up on the west side of the Dublin-Wicklow mountains). M2 buoy should make for interesting obs. I have mentioned on Net-weather that I am concerned about severe wind gusts in southwest Wales around 0300h (in their case, 160 km/hr possible). Will say for now peak gusts about 120, possibly 130 near Dublin. Won't last very long, maybe 2-3h.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Just got really windy in Cavan. It's got some pretty fierce gusts!

2200 reports-gust of 59 knots at finner, 57 knots at Newport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Getting some solid gusts here(Nrth Meath/cavan)atm. Lashings of rain to wash away the snow from today :(

Edit: Roof shaker of a gust just now, strongest so far this year

• Registered Users Posts: 22 GreyRock Lass

Living in this house 7 years & I have never heard the creaks it's making in these fierce gusts we are having right now! Holy moly!! Wasn't expecting this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

What's the expected lifetime of this, I see Met Eireann's advisory is valid to midnight and talks of gusts "early tonight". When should the winds subside below gale-force on the West coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Fierce winds here too :eek: Even tho we're not in any of the wind warnings on Met.ie

Just got worse here, pretty strong gusts now under those showers...what ever about those red warnings we had for Storm Rachel :P

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭elecktras weather bomb

I feel like Dorothy out of the wizard of oz waiting on the house to take off. very windy here now. very eventful day here in north Kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Wind really picking up now here up in the hill, it's getting stronger by the minute. Bonnie, one of my dogs who gets really agitated before a storm comes is pacing the floor for the past hour.

Advertisement