Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

You may have missed my sarcasm Pangea! Two days of snow showers is a once in a 5 year event in this country (if it comes off) and this snow bunny is ready and waiting....

being a fellow corkonian i did get it rebelbrowser! we do better out of these set ups than easterlies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

You may have missed my sarcasm Pangea! Two days of snow showers is a once in a 5 year event in this country (if it comes off) and this snow bunny is ready and waiting....

Apologies :D, With the greed for snow on display in here that went over my head :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Just looking at the GFS in more detail, you can see a rather dramatic arrival of the colder dew points.

At 3am on Wednesday morning chart looks like this....

15012803_2600.gif

At 9am, just 6 hours later, its like this...

15012900_2600.

That's an 11 degree drop in dew points for most in just 6 hours!

I take snow charts with a pinch of salt, particularly when they show straight lines as the boundary of rain and snow, but just a tad concerned on an imby basis with these charts! See below..

15012818_2600.gif

This map or similar is repeated for most of the 48 hours on the WeatherOnLine version of GFS. Seems hard to believe there would be rain falling as at the time uppers are -7 down here, dew points are never more than -2 throughout and thickness is sub 828. Am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Good man Kermit, you're making January fly by!
    I'll be on high ground next weekend no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

I'm back, not really optimistic, not after the huge let down on the last chance for snow, hope I'm proven wrong this time though! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Much improved 06 run for the longterm

Updated warning out for NI
    5 ms widely and 10 cm for high ground

As the rest of Ireland is under the same air source we should expect same

Updated warning out for NI
    5 ms widely and 10 cm for high ground

As the rest of Ireland is under the same air source we should expect same

but will the precipitation make it down south?

coming on a NW flow so it should. To be imby about it, the Cork showers, if they reach us, will come in over Kerry / Clare and travel down that way. It was the same on 17 December 2010 as I recall happily........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A dusting to a couple of cm further south. It's the north/northwest that will get the most of it. A bit more on hills.

84-780UK.GIF?26-6

• Advertisement

coming on a NW flow so it should. To be imby about it, the Cork showers, if they reach us, will come in over Kerry / Clare and travel down that way. It was the same on 17 December 2010 as I recall happily........

Incidentally to someone who was asking how Clare would fare, on charts I've see it looks like it will fare very well indeed......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

A dusting to a couple of cm further south. It's the north/northwest that will get the most of it. A bit more on hills.

Strange how the Mayo galway border has a patch with no snow. Is that just a random patch due to snow showers on 1 model run? Or is it predicted from an ensemble of runs?
    Only 2cm for my house on that map.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Strange how the Mayo galway border has a patch with no snow. Is that just a random patch due to snow showers on 1 model run? Or is it predicted from an ensemble of runs?

It's just a rough estimate, you can't predict exactly where will get 0.5cm and where will get 2cm when it comes to snow showers. Some of the higher amounts further south on the chart denote areas of higher ground.

The north/northwest will get the most then up to couple of cm for areas further south, but it will be a case of watching the radar to see if those showers reach you or not on the day, and how beefy they will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Does Lough Mask & Lough Corrib influence snowfall?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm being induced tomorrow night in dublin. How is this looking for Dublin/kildare? Family will likely be travelling up from Mayo later in the week too?! Not the most confident of drivers either

it should be similar to the last event with Dublin Kildare receiving nothing or a few light flurries in a few places. Should be frosty by night tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Gonzo wrote: »
    it should be similar to the last event with Dublin Kildare receiving nothing or a few light flurries in a few places. Should be frosty by night tho.

Thanks so much! So just the parents who need to be careful travelling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

I think kildare Meath and Dublin will see some snow cover from this by Sunday

I don't agree

very hard to predict with any accuracy this far out. best to err on the side of caution though and check updates closer the time.

Cork usually does well out of Northwesterly as we don't have any mountains in the way.

In fact a northwesterly can work better for us than a westerly.

I'd be certain of lying snow by Thursday morning on hills anyway.
    Similar to last spell 10 days ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

This event looks alot better for the Wicklow Mountains than last week. Nearly 24 hours of snow potential.

uksnowrisk.png

• Advertisement

Cork usually does well out of Northwesterly as we don't have any mountains in the way.

In fact a northwesterly can work better for us than a westerly.

I'd be certain of lying snow by Thursday morning on hills anyway.
    Similar to last spell 10 days ago

yeah was thinking that too.

the cork and kerry mountains kill showers from the west. need the strong airflow to bring the showers south.

HighLine wrote: »
    This event looks alot better for the Wicklow Mountains than last week. Nearly 24 hours of snow potential.

the charts look a lot better snow wise than the recent event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/footage-shows-daring-rescuers-save-climbers-stuck-on-frozen-carrauntoohil-30935097.html
    Seems there was still a good bit of snow on Carrauntoohil on saturday night from this video of climbers getting rescued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

very hard to predict with any accuracy this far out. best to err on the side of caution though and check updates closer the time.
    I know
    But my logic is simple, this is a stronger more disturbed,more solid flow than the last one where even Carlow town had snow cover for a time Ergo it should deliver some goods to the tri state area :D (Dublin, Meath,Kildare)

Cork gets rain showers in a normal spring or summer Atlantic Northwesterly or westerly even though it's on the south coast, it's west enough so why shouldn't it get snow showers when cold enough in a scenario like this week, it does and it should like the spell a fortnight ago
    I've often driven out the N25 towards Waterford in heavy downpours only to have dry roads in east cork
    The city is inside enough a sort of cut off point for frequent showers in that type of flow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It just so happens im going to Galway on Sunday so if it snows here im going to miss it!

I know
    But my logic is simple, this is a stronger more disturbed,more solid flow than the last one where even Carlow town had snow cover for a time Ergo it should deliver some goods to the tri state area :D (Dublin, Meath,Kildare)

Cork gets rain showers in a normal spring or summer Atlantic Northwesterly or westerly even though it's on the south coast, it's west enough so why shouldn't it get snow showers when cold enough in a scenario like this week, it does and it should like the spell a fortnight ago
    I've often driven out the N25 towards Waterford in heavy downpours only to have dry roads in east cork
    The city is inside enough a sort of cut off point for frequent showers in that type of flow

I hope so WheatenBriar and definitely we do better from north westerly set ups down here. as you said there does look more shower activity for everybody from wednesday on.

It just so happens im going to Galway on Sunday so if it snows here im going to miss it!

You should be fine in Galway though so might satisfy your snow addiction. still though its nice to see it falling in your own backyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

for the meath game?? :) (im nosey!)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mt's forecast is not what the models show.
    His view is that the weekend is colder than Wed night and Thursday
    Simply not true as the truly cold air is happening Thursday along with the snow chances.
    I think MT's eyes are more northeast US this morning

Which is understandable. I have family living near him in BC and they are bracing themselves for the worst storm in living memory there. Need to give him some leeway these next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

yeah was thinking that too.

the cork and kerry mountains kill showers from the west. need the strong airflow to bring the showers south.

As in stop dead? Oh dear! No getting past them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement