Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

RuthieRose wrote: »
    What's the northern midlands looking at here? Namely Cavan/Monaghan & Longford areas? I've gotta be on the road a bit with work this week so need to organise my diary. Don't want to be driving up a back road on Thursday when I could have do it on Tuesday... If you catch my drift. ;()

My advice Ruthie is get as much of your driving done tomorrow and Tuesday if you can so your covered :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Not on the same scale but parallels can be drawn to the famous "Greenland Express" as MT dubbed it in 2010. A rapid onset of frigid air with gale force winds from Wednesday. Exciting times ahead. All aboard the express train once again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

What's the northern midlands looking at here? Namely Cavan/Monaghan & Longford areas? I've gotta be on the road a bit with work this week so need to organise my diary. Don't want to be driving up a back road on Thursday when I could have do it on Tuesday... If you catch my drift. ;()

Cavan, Monaghan, Leitrim & Longford can do quite well for showers in stiff WNW flow as shower trains stream in directly from Donegal Bay without much interruption from high ground on the way to weaken them. Under the right circumstances, showers can sometimes survive well into N Leinster from this direction.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm being induced tomorrow night in dublin. How is this looking for Dublin/kildare? Family will likely be travelling up from Mayo later in the week too?! Not the most confident of drivers either

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

right now my evening has been travelling from Roscommon - Mullingar raining heavily reached Dublin and it has hit 9 degrees an bucketing down 20 mins ago and now died.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

An increasing prospect the showers remain as snow right through Thursday daytime and in to Thursday night. Remember beyond Thursday afternoon is still volatile but we are trending colder right now.

As for those dreaming of a northeasterly tint at some stage during this period...ask and you might receive

gem-0-204.png?00

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well the 18 continues the trend.

Wednesday is the day really with widespread heavy snow showers and surely lying snow in many areas by Thursday morning.
    Thursday continue with more of the same though ppm is modelled to ease off later.
    I would think disruption.....school closures etc look highly likely further West.

Beyond Thursday looks the wrong side of marginal for a couple of days before a reload on Sunday

All in all some fascinating weather lies in store and I for one will be loving it no matter how long or short

Just looked at met and they say Wednesday is rain not snow.... that snow is Thursday.. I am in South Kerry near the coast...on this depends shopping so HIGHLY vital!;)

Same thinking here in Kerry ;) Wise we are!

I'm being induced tomorrow night in dublin. How is this looking for Dublin/kildare? Family will likely be travelling up from Mayo later in the week too?! Not the most confident of drivers either

Oh good luck! Blessings and prayers!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

UKMO-very cold
    GFS-Not bad but not as good as Ukmo. Cold spell not as long
    GEM-keeps us locked in the cold pattern. Much better than GFS.

Cold air getting in to the NW on Wednesday morning with an increasing risk of snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Ecm is poor this morning with a distinct lack of blocking after Sunday

Wed/Thurs still look snowy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Getting a real block this time was always going to be tenuous, still have 3-5 day cold shot.

But real interesting from mid Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I suppose we will somehow have to pretend to be excited by the prospect of just the two days of snow.

Getting a real block this time was always going to be tenuous, still have 3-5 day cold shot.

I wouldn't completely dismiss this upcoming cold spell to 3-5 day period just yet. By Wednesday we will have a better idea. Lots of weather to get through first. If not a 3-5 day cold spell is better than nothing lol

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Very rinse and repeat on GFS and ECM this morning. Again we see phantom mid term amplification in Atlantic being crushed by a powerful jet as we get nearer the time.

GEM looks more interesting. Would be good for east coast

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

For any SSW'ish event or Vortex split, I am waiting to see what happens in the next week to 10 days. Its all FI and up in the air with them two. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

I suppose we will somehow have to pretend to be excited by the prospect of just the two days of snow.

Pretend? Speak for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

MT's forecast this morning is very reserved with no snowmageddon forecast. Met Eireann on the other hand have several cm's of snow forecast and accumulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

MT's forecast this morning is very reserved with no snowmageddon forecast. Met Eireann on the other hand have several cm's of snow forecast and accumulations!

The forecast is as in the OP. Nothing has changed. Very high level of confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭rickdangerouss

MT'S is more up to date. Once Met review the latest outputs, that should change \downgrade to a few flakes on hills forecast. :( (View point from an person in Dublin)

• Advertisement

The forecast is as in the OP. Nothing has changed.

thanks Kermit for this update and the continued updates. as ever snow and this country is never straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

By Wednesday we will have a better idea.

Wouldn't we want to have a better idea by Wednesday:)

I really don't know what to think of the forecasts. Met eireann has kinda reduced the snow but prolonged the cold spell. MT is forecasting the cold but little snow. Not as hopeful as yesterday tbh :(. Still, Thursday night I'd keep my eyes peeled. It could be interesting !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

while i enjoy reading the posts, and everybody getting excited, I'm sticking to my if i can see it, its happening forecast.

No disappointment, and no anger when it doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Mt's forecast is not what the models show.
    His view is that the weekend is colder than Wed night and Thursday
    Simply not true as the truly cold air is happening Thursday along with the snow chances.
    I think MT's eyes are more northeast US this morning

If MT could come back and give his view later that would be great! the models later this afternoon will have further updates

Hi Carn. I meant come Wednesday we will have a better idea on how it's looking for early next week

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Mt's forecast is not what the models show.
    His view is that the weekend is colder than Wed night and Thursday
    Simply not true as the truly cold air is happening Thursday along with the snow chances.
    I think MT's eyes are more northeast US this morning

Sunday night is colder over a wider area than Wednesday/Thursday on the GFS.

72-580UK_ube7.GIF

168-580UK.GIF?26-0

I think January means he is underplaying the snow risk for Wed/Thur which I'd agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'd get/ do get excited with a day's lying snow. In fact, if we got that, with the schools out, I might even join in the "winters over" we've been hearing since December!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Pangea wrote: »
    Pretend? Speak for yourself.

You may have missed my sarcasm Pangea! Two days of snow showers is a once in a 5 year event in this country (if it comes off) and this snow bunny is ready and waiting....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement