Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold discussion 18th Jan onward - cold for at least 5 more days, some snow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I'm interested to see how long that low hangs over Europe. With the proper mixing from Russian high we could drop back day time negative tepretures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

BBC Ni newsline there showed footage from Omagh Co.Tyrone, some amount of snow there yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

The charts are woeful at the moment

Too mild for decent snow and yet feeling chilly throughout.

By this time next week most will have seen little or no snow and we'll be moving into the last week of January

Like most winters. In fact it's been ( and will continue) to be wintrier than most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

By this time next week most will have seen little or no snow and we'll be moving into the last week of January

Head for the hills, there's loads up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Hail showers here. The roads will be fun in the morning I reckon!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

despite this winter seeming a bit cooler and far less stormy than last winter, this winter is running almost neck to neck with last winter for lack of snow and all over dissapointment (at least in the majority of Leinster). It's basically crunch time now with just 5 to 6 weeks to save this winter.
    It can still be saved, we've had epic snowfalls in February before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Gonzo wrote: »
    despite this winter seeming a bit cooler and far less stormy than last winter, this winter is running almost neck to neck with last winter for lack of snow and all over dissapointment (at least in the majority of Leinster). It's basically crunch time now with just 5 to 6 weeks to save this winter.
    It can still be saved, we've had epic snowfalls in February before.

Most of Ulster has had a full week of lying snow now with much of Connaught and Munster at least seeing some snowfall and even parts of Leinster have had lying snow. Did most people even see a snowflake through the whole of last winter? There's more to the country than the east coast ;)

I feel your pain having not seen a single snowflake since two years ago but by Irish standards the current spell isn't a bad effort

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Everyone knows east coast snow is better.

I think the east will see lying snow at sea lvl. Might be short lived. But we are set to stay cold for a few more days. Cant speculate any further. In December the consensus was westerly Atlantic mild muck. But having seen -8 uppers stretch across the Atlantic, who knows what can happen. Too much variables for those super computers. I think this winter has been great so far. Has had a bit of everything bar an easterly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Is it really bad I'm hoping for heavy snow like we had a couple of years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Clear skies on East Coast tonight . When is Dublin likely to get snow if any?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Is it really bad I'm hoping for heavy snow like we had a couple of years ago?

That kinda hoping will probably get you hurt :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

Charts may not look good at present but they keep changing so you never know

Most of jet seems to be over ireland than south of it but id say some of the coldest weather of the winter will be this week n then back to mild cold mild cold of pre january

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Nabber wrote: »
    Everyone knows east coast snow is better.

I think the east will see lying snow at sea lvl. Might be short lived. But we are set to stay cold for a few more days. Cant speculate any further. In December the consensus was westerly Atlantic mild muck. But having seen -8 uppers stretch across the Atlantic, who knows what can happen. Too much variables for those super computers. I think this winter has been great so far. Has had a bit of everything bar an easterly.

Sounds like someone is trying to start a rap battle..........except with snow :)

East is best of course, East Donegal that is... :)

Smidge wrote: »
    Sounds like someone is trying to start a rap battle..........except with snow :)
    Or without snow in their case. *leaves mic on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Harps wrote: »
    Most of Ulster has had a full week of lying snow now with much of Connaught and Munster at least seeing some snowfall and even parts of Leinster have had lying snow. Did most people even see a snowflake through the whole of last winter? There's more to the country than the east coast ;)

I feel your pain having not seen a single snowflake since two years ago but by Irish standards the current spell isn't a bad effort
    Ah he's allowed to be disappointed as many posters from Cork have been in the past! Though Cork has historically been a bad place to wait for snowfall so perhaps their need is more understandable :)

As for forecasts... Monday night looks touch and go on the 18z when it looked a little more safe on the 12z. But it comes with more precipitation though. My family are a little higher up at 150 metres in Louth and I suspect it will be a toss up. Could well fall as snow for most of the duration while not actually sticking.

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/euro4/2015/01/18/basis18/ukuk/th85/15012003_1818.gif
    http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/euro4/2015/01/18/basis18/ukuk/prec/15012003_1818.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I drove up to the Mournes yesterday just to see some snow. I forgot my camera though, which was stupid.

It was very busy up. The feeling and the smile spreading across my face as I went through Hilltown and up into the hills, the snow rising on both sides, just a wonderful joyful thing the snow. LOVE IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think it was Robert Browning who said there are two kinds of people. One who says " Good morning, God" and the other, "Good God! Morning!" I was the former until one of the cats woke me with yelling in my ear and my warm body hit the cold air.... Knew it was going to be bad as when I went to toilet the dogs at nightfall ( they sleep in the extension with their own front door) I was met with a total stunned silence that meant ARE YOU CRAZY! They refused to budge...It is bitter, brazen stunningly COLD. The met site does not even have the temp for Kerry at the top..This is a grand house, renovated with all the water pipes inside and its own well so grand. I see no let up today.. ah well, we survived the other winters and we will this one. Grand SO!

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Low of -1.2C in Greystones so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Low of -6.2c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Graces7 wrote: »
    I think it was Robert Browning who said there are two kinds of people. One who says " Good morning, God" and the other, "Good God! Morning!" I was the former until one of the cats woke me with yelling in my ear and my warm body hit the cold air.... Knew it was going to be bad as when I went to toilet the dogs at nightfall ( they sleep in the extension with their own front door) I was met with a total stunned silence that meant ARE YOU CRAZY! They refused to budge...It is bitter, brazen stunningly COLD. The met site does not even have the temp for Kerry at the top..This is a grand house, renovated with all the water pipes inside and its own well so grand. I see no let up today.. ah well, we survived the other winters and we will this one. Grand SO!

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

-5.3c in Naas this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Coldest morning of the winter so far here in Donegal Town with temp at the minute of -4.7

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Waterford Weather reporting -2.6 at the moment

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

irish1967 wrote: »
    Coldest morning of the winter so far here in Donegal Town with temp at the minute of -4.7

Oh gee! very glad I moved south!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see both Dublin AP and Casement have dropped to -6c at 0800.

-3.9c atm here (in south Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

-8 on car earlier here in the hills in Cavan. Chilly. A mere -5 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Between -5 and -6 in Slane. Roads are ok though.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭The12thMan

-2.5 in cork city

quick question, what conditions are needed to turn rain to snow? air temps etc.?

and wher can i view a snow forecast?

i use
    meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

The12thMan wrote: »
    -2.5 in cork city

quick question, what conditions are needed to turn rain to snow? air temps etc.?

and wher can i view a snow forecast?

i use
    meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php

I use this one

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=snow;sess=

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement