Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

DECEiFER - big thank you from me.
    It took me more time to install opera, than to complete job with changing router into bridge mode.
    I don't have phone yet, I'll give you my feedback on this later...

The only problem I'm having now is speed. I upgraded from 30Mb to 50Mb, but max at night time I'm getting is 32MB via cable and 31Mb wireless.

I should call UPC in the morning, just wondering what they say if they find router in bridge mode :)

With the original EPC3925 set as primary access point My tv didn't want to connect at all, and phones and pc's were disconnecting every 60 minutes. Also wireless range was extremaly poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

No problem at all!

Your problem could be an issue with your signal. Go to the DOCSIS WAN page and paste in your signal stats (Power Levels and Signal to Noise Ratios for the Downstream and Upstream channels). Ultimately UPC will have to fix this but I'm betting the front-line / level 1 support techs won't know to look at your signal stats. At the very least we can advise you on whether the stats good or bad or dreadful.

You should also look at your TV's set-top-box and see what the signal strength and quality bars are sitting at. On your remote, go to Menu > Settings > Network Settings > Type your PIN (default is 0000) > Automatic (I think that's the correct order) and hold it there while you check the two bars and guesstimate the % as it doesn't give you an exact figure. When you're done, back out instead of pressing OK any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Martynet

At last! I'm so happy about this. I can use my airport extreme the proper way again and everything is working like a charm. Can I buy you a pint? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Deanicus

Hi guys,

Quick question. I am not computer illiterate by any means but am not fully up on networking etc.

Question is, if I put the router into bridge mode, is it possible to do so for one of the ports only (by ports I mean ethernet ports on the back of the router)

My house has a smart home system so I have the router hooked up into a switch underneath the stairs. Whilst this is great for various PCs etc that I have in the house I still use wireless for my phone, tablet etc.

I want to keep this system as is but also want to hook up a Netgear wireless router from one of the ports in another room. Can I isolate the bridge mode to a single port or is it all or nothing? I guess I can keep the Netgear router underneath the stairs if I can't, but its not ideal for me.

Any advice is appreciated

Martynet wrote: »
    At last! I'm so happy about this. I can use my airport extreme the proper way again and everything is working like a charm. Can I buy you a pint? :-)
    No bother! Alcohol, a fair reward. :)
    Deanicus wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Quick question. I am not computer illiterate by any means but am not fully up on networking etc.

Question is, if I put the router into bridge mode, is it possible to do so for one of the ports only (by ports I mean ethernet ports on the back of the router)

My house has a smart home system so I have the router hooked up into a switch underneath the stairs. Whilst this is great for various PCs etc that I have in the house I still use wireless for my phone, tablet etc.

I want to keep this system as is but also want to hook up a Netgear wireless router from one of the ports in another room. Can I isolate the bridge mode to a single port or is it all or nothing? I guess I can keep the Netgear router underneath the stairs if I can't, but its not ideal for me.

Any advice is appreciated
    I'm not exactly sure what you're looking to achieve here exactly, so let me take your questions one at a time.

Bridge mode will affect the whole device so it won't be isolated to one port. This is normal and not just pertinent to the EPC3925.

I'm guessing that you want to keep the EPC and the switch under the stairs for all your wired computers and use the Netgear for something else (this is where I'm confused about what you're trying to achieve)? You can still use the switch with the EPC3925 to distribute the connection throughout your home, but you will not be NAT'd or have any protection (all your ports will be open to traffic so your sole protection will be your computers' firewalls), which is not ideal at all.

You can opt to use the Netgear as one NAT and the EPC as another. I mean, don't bridge the EPC and put the Netgear on the DMZ inside the EPC. ED E has written a guide on this procedure but you won't be following it to the letter in your case. The best way I can explain it quickly is to tell you not to disable DHCP on the EPC as the guide advises you to. This way you can use both routers. Use the Netgear for Wireless and turn off the EPC's Wireless, while use the EPC under the stairs with your switch as before and put the Netgear where you planned to put it.

If you have your heart set on briding your EPC with your Netgear, then you'll need to put the Netgear under the stairs or relocate everything to a more convenient location using cable extensions or whatever works in getting these devices moved while still being hooked up to everything!

If you could explain exactly what you're hoping for, I can give you more specific information on how to get it done (if it's possible). I'd be happy to help you out in any way, even if you're not going to bridge and use the DMZ/double NAT method that ED E has written about (if that being the case, we should do it over in his thread - which I am also subscribed to). If what I've said is Double Dutch, it'll be easier to break it down once I understand your networking requirements better, so don't worry.

• Advertisement

DECEiFER wrote: »
    No bother! Alcohol, a fair reward. :)

I'm not exactly sure what you're looking to achieve here exactly, so let me take your questions one at a time.

Bridge mode will affect the whole device so it won't be isolated to one port. This is normal and not just pertinent to the EPC3925.

I'm guessing that you want to keep the EPC and the switch under the stairs for all your wired computers and use the Netgear for something else (this is where I'm confused about what you're trying to achieve)? You can still use the switch with the EPC3925 to distribute the connection throughout your home, but you will not be NAT'd or have any protection (all your ports will be open to traffic so your sole protection will be your computers' firewalls), which is not ideal at all.

You can opt to use the Netgear as one NAT and the EPC as another. I mean, don't bridge the EPC and put the Netgear on the DMZ inside the EPC. ED E has written a guide on this procedure but you won't be following it to the letter in your case. The best way I can explain it quickly is to tell you not to disable DHCP on the EPC as the guide advises you to. This way you can use both routers. Use the Netgear for Wireless and turn off the EPC's Wireless, while use the EPC under the stairs with your switch as before and put the Netgear where you planned to put it.

If you have your heart set on briding your EPC with your Netgear, then you'll need to put the Netgear under the stairs or relocate everything to a more convenient location using cable extensions or whatever works in getting these devices moved while still being hooked up to everything!

If you could explain exactly what you're hoping for, I can give you more specific information on how to get it done (if it's possible). I'd be happy to help you out in any way, even if you're not going to bridge and use the DMZ/double NAT method that ED E has written about (if that being the case, we should do it over in his thread - which I am also subscribed to). If what I've said is Double Dutch, it'll be easier to break it down once I understand your networking requirements better, so don't worry.

Hi DECEiFER,

Thanks for your reply.

I guess I should have been more clear in my post. I live in a 3-storey house. The switch is on the bottom floor underneath the stairs. My fear was that if I put the Netgear under there, the signal would not travel to the 3rd floor or would be very weak as is the case now. As such my plan was to put the Netgear onto the 2nd floor where hopefully it will cover all of the house sufficiently. Also I want to connect both a PS3 and Xbox to the Netgear as the room I have in mind only has 1 network port. So the Netgear was to serve as a wireless router for the whole house and also as a switch for that room.

I have read that putting the Netgear into the DMZ was not as good as bridge mode (the reasons for which I am unclear) but I was under the impression that once put into bridge mode that the EPC would no longer function as a router (apart from the line connecting it to the Netgear) and so any ports connected on the switch would no longer work.

From your very helpful post I realise it will still work but that any devices connected to it are vulnerable and those connected to the Netgear will be protected.

I think the best option is the DMZ route with DHCP enabled so I get not only the wireless capabilities of the Netgear but also get to use the switch under the stairs.

One last thing though, could you explain the benefits of bridge mode over DMZ?

Thanks very much for all your help

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Sorry to hijack this thread, I'm not sure whether I will need to do this or not.
    I currently have the 25 meg package on the Cisco 25 meg capable router.
    I'm getting the upgrade to 50 meg and they are sending out the new router in the next few days.

Currently I have another device managing my network connected to the current cisco router via LAN cable.
    Will I be able to continue using this configuration or will I need modify settings as outlined in this thread on the UPC Cisco router?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

Any recommendations for a cheap router thats decent quality that I could bridge with?

Thanks

kippy wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread, I'm not sure whether I will need to do this or not.
    I currently have the 25 meg package on the Cisco 25 meg capable router.
    I'm getting the upgrade to 50 meg and they are sending out the new router in the next few days.

Currently I have another device managing my network connected to the current cisco router via LAN cable.
    Will I be able to continue using this configuration or will I need modify settings as outlined in this thread on the UPC Cisco router?
    If the device they're sending is the EPC3925, to bridge it (assuming that's what you have done already with your current Cisco), you will need to follow my instructions. As for keeping the settings in your other device, that all depends on what they're currently set to. But I wouldn't worry, settings can be easily changed. :)
    JHet wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a cheap router thats decent quality that I could bridge with?

Thanks
    Define cheap? I got my WNDR3700v1 on eBay for around €70. PC World did the router back then for €130, though I suspect it was a v3 model and not a v1. If you can give me the highest amount that you're willing to splash out, I'd be happy to give some recommendations.
    Hi DECEiFER,

Thanks for your reply.

I guess I should have been more clear in my post. I live in a 3-storey house. The switch is on the bottom floor underneath the stairs. My fear was that if I put the Netgear under there, the signal would not travel to the 3rd floor or would be very weak as is the case now. As such my plan was to put the Netgear onto the 2nd floor where hopefully it will cover all of the house sufficiently. Also I want to connect both a PS3 and Xbox to the Netgear as the room I have in mind only has 1 network port. So the Netgear was to serve as a wireless router for the whole house and also as a switch for that room.

I have read that putting the Netgear into the DMZ was not as good as bridge mode (the reasons for which I am unclear) but I was under the impression that once put into bridge mode that the EPC would no longer function as a router (apart from the line connecting it to the Netgear) and so any ports connected on the switch would no longer work.

From your very helpful post I realise it will still work but that any devices connected to it are vulnerable and those connected to the Netgear will be protected.

I think the best option is the DMZ route with DHCP enabled so I get not only the wireless capabilities of the Netgear but also get to use the switch under the stairs.

One last thing though, could you explain the benefits of bridge mode over DMZ?

Thanks very much for all your help

The one downside of going the double NAT route is that it will add one more hop before the Internet but it's not going to have a detrimental effect that you'll notice. You need to set the EPC's DMZ to an IP of your choosing and set the Netgear's IP to that same DMZ IP. This way it's faux bridging and things like UPnP will still work, the EPC won't block any traffic to and from the Netgear when done correctly, similar to bridging.

What I would do (and used to do before discovering the true bridging solution) was to set my DMZ to something outside the DHCP range of the EPC and then in the Netgear's "Basic Settings" I would set the following:
    IP Address	    192.168.1.10  (this was my EPC's DMZ IP, you can use a different IP, just make sure it's the same IP as the EPC's DMZ is all)
    IP Subnet Mask	    255.255.255.255  
    Gateway IP Address  192.168.1.1

Primary DNS	    192.168.1.1  
    Secondary DNS       (leave blank)

You'll also have to set the Netgear to use a different subnet/NAT, so I recommend in the "LAN Setup" or wherever it is on your Netgear to set its IP address to 192.168.2.1.

Just remember, turn off the EPC's Wireless. Make sure the Netgear is assigned the the same IP as the EPC's DMZ (as above). This way you can have your cake and eat it and you'll never really notice that it's not using true bridging, that extra NAT hop won't be a detriment.

Thanks DECEiFER

I think I understand.

Gonna buy the Netgear this week so when I do go to set it up, do you mind if you ask you some questions if needs be?

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Thanks DECEiFER

I think I understand.

Gonna buy the Netgear this week so when I do go to set it up, do you mind if you ask you some questions if needs be?

Thanks again
    Cool, that's not a problem. What model are you going for?

Am gonna go for the WNDR3800 N600 as from what I read its great bang for the buck

Whats your thoughts on it?

That sounds like an excellent choice. Dual-bands simultaneously (2.4GHz and 5GHz Wireless Radios). It's better than my WNDR3700v1, which is also dual-band, it's one model up and it's part of Netgear's elite consumer range. How much is it, can I ask (just out of curiosity)?

At the moment its going for €120 on Pixmania (including shipping). Havent really looked up anywhere else but will do before I buy.

I was going to buy something cheaper but thought I should get something a little bit more expensive as I didnt want to be disappointed with another crap router.

No, you're right and €120 sounds about right also (it's nearly €190 on Dabs!). Though, you could save €10-€30 if you buy it on eBay from a continental seller. Here's a search for all EU-based sellers of the product sorted by the lowest price ascending to the highest:
    http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=3&_nkw=WNDR3800&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283

It should be safe as long as you stick to sellers who have a lot of sales and great feedback. I've had things break down or come DOA from the likes of Komplett and other big stores and from eBay, all resolved fairly quickly. I have learned to trust eBay based on my positive experiences, but it depends on your own experiences whether you'd be willing to. One of the sellers happens to be pixmania_deutshland and it would come to just about €114 inc. shipping! Or better yet, pixmania_fr for just under €106.

Regarding not getting something cheaper, your house being 3-storeys would need more than what the standard router could offer and you probably would have regretted going down a cheaper route.

No, you're right and €120 sounds about right also (it's nearly €190 on Dabs!). Though, you could save €10-€30 if you buy it on eBay from a continental seller. Here's a search for all EU-based sellers of the product sorted by the lowest price ascending to the highest:
    http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=3&_nkw=WNDR3800&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283

It should be safe as long as you stick to sellers who have a lot of sales and great feedback. I've had things break down or come DOA from the likes of Komplett and other big stores and from eBay, all resolved fairly quickly. I have learned to trust eBay based on my positive experiences, but it depends on your own experiences whether you'd be willing to. One of the sellers happens to be pixmania_deutshland and it would come to just about €114 inc. shipping! Or better yet, pixmania_fr for just under €106.

Regarding not getting something cheaper, your house being 3-storeys would need more than what the standard router could offer and you probably would have regretted going down a cheaper route.

Thanks for the recommendations! Will definitely check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Enabling bridging without disabling wireless seems to have resulted in some strange behaviour from UPC.

mkw0uh.jpg

My usual IP address (or has been for the past 6 months) is the top one in the 79.97.***.*** range. That's the IP address assigned to me by the secondary router (linksys running ddwrt).
    The laptop and the smartphone are both connected to the UPC Wireless at the same time, and at the same time as the PC is connected to the linksys Wireless.

Three different IPs for three different devices all from the one connection
    Device 1: Linksys Router
    Device 2: Laptop through UPC
    Device 3: Android through UPC

Also, how can I get into the UPC router's admin page without resetting it to factory defaults?

Ha, I was afraid of that. Their DHCP pool is assigning you an IP address for each different device that's connected based on each MAC address. That's...gas. This is another reason why you don't want to use more than one device on the EPC when it's bridged.

The EPC's web configuration can now be found at http://192.168.100.1 until it's back in Router mode.

EDIT: If you ever have a reason to change your IP address at will (for example, to get around file sharing website's waiting periods between downloading multiple files), you can't do it unless you're truly bridged. You just simply change (spoof/clone) the router's MAC address (something which most Netgear routers can do with ease) and UPC's DHCP server will be fooled into thinking a new device has connected and it will assign a new IP. But again, you won't be able to do this if you're using the DMZ/double NAT method. The reason being is when the EPC is not truly bridged, it uses the EPC's router's MAC address, which as far as I am aware, cannot be spoofed so the IP you get will stick. Also UPC's DHCP lease times are massively high so even turning off the modem for a few days won't rid you of the IP, it'd have to be off for longer, which for most people isn't an option.

Ha, I was afraid of that. Their DHCP pool is assigning you an IP address for each different device that's connected based on each MAC address. That's...gas. This is another reason why you don't want to use more than one device on the EPC when it's bridged.

The EPC's web configuration can now be found at http://192.168.100.1 until it's back in Router mode.

Cheers! It's amazing how incompetent this has shown them to be (both in not removing the actual code, and in how their DHCP servers deal with the router when running in bridged mode!).

If only they would enable bridged mode by default.

My guess is the 79.97.*** ip address is the default one assigned to my router and when a new separate connection is requested, it assigns the next free one - hence why one was in the 89.101.*** (an IP range my parents UPC has been sitting on for around 5 years) and the 171.61.*** range.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think the EPC2425 did the same.

• Advertisement

I think the EPC2425 did the same.
    Maybe that's the real reason they don't want you doing it, hence hiding the functionality in the EPC3925. :eek:

Maybe that's the real reason they don't want you doing it, hence hiding the functionality in the EPC3925. :eek:

Does this mean that devices connected to the EPC when bridged are using up multiple public IP addresses of which UPC have a limited number they can assign?
    Better add the disabling of the EPC wifi before bridging to the original guide!!

Does this mean that devices connected to the EPC when bridged are using up multiple public IP addresses of which UPC have a limited number they can assign?
    Better add the disabling of the EPC wifi before bridging to the original guide!!
    Hi Songok,

Already done, I have requested another edit from Cabaal since late last week by PM. Just waiting for him to log on and apply the new post content I provided with step one being to disable certain functions, including WiFi.

Hi Songok,

Already done, I have requested another edit from Cabaal since late last week by PM. Just waiting for him to log on and apply the new post content I provided with step one being to disable certain functions, including WiFi.

Way ahead of me!
    Thanks for the tips re. disabling the wifi etc earlier, nice to have one less SSID showing!

Way ahead of me!
    Thanks for the tips re. disabling the wifi etc earlier, nice to have one less SSID showing!
    Yeah that could be a problem, especially if you're in a busy area, with extra interference. The neighbors might not be all too happy about it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Cheers! It's amazing how incompetent this has shown them to be (both in not removing the actual code, and in how their DHCP servers deal with the router when running in bridged mode!).
    Au contraire, it's not incompetent at all and is perfectly normal behaviour.

If you're connecting through the wireless on the bridged EPC (or even the ethernet ports) then each connected device will ask for, and get, a separate IP address, as the built in wireless AP is effectively connected internally to the ethernet ports. It's the same situation as if you'd taken a simple cable modem (not router), attached an ethernet switch to it and connected 3 wired clients to it.

AFAIK UPC only allow 3 addresses per connection, so if you connect a 4th one it will kick one of the other 3 off.

Alun wrote: »
    AFAIK UPC only allow 3 addresses per connection, so if you connect a 4th one it will kick one of the other 3 off.
    That's good to know, I wasn't sure if there'd be a limit.

Au contraire, it's not incompetent at all and is perfectly normal behaviour.

If you're connecting through the wireless on the bridged EPC (or even the ethernet ports) then each connected device will ask for, and get, a separate IP address, as the built in wireless AP is effectively connected internally to the ethernet ports. It's the same situation as if you'd taken a simple cable modem (not router), attached an ethernet switch to it and connected 3 wired clients to it.

It's not the same situation. One is a wireless router (so assumed to be either able to handle internal DHCP or handing off the connection to a device that can handle internal DHCP) and the other is a simple ethernet/usb cable modem that's a dumb terminal.

There's no legitimate reason for a modern consumer combined modem/router to act this way, while there may have been in the past (although fwiw, I've had UPC/NTL since 2001 and at least in 2001-2003, you were only assigned 1 IP address and connecting a switch did nothing).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's not the same situation. One is a wireless router (so assumed to be either able to handle internal DHCP or handing off the connection to a device that can handle internal DHCP) and the other is a simple ethernet/usb cable modem that's a dumb terminal.

There's no legitimate reason for a modern consumer combined modem/router to act this way, while there may have been in the past (although fwiw, I've had UPC/NTL since 2001 and at least in 2001-2003, you were only assigned 1 IP address and connecting a switch did nothing).
    But when you place the router in bridge mode, then it's not a router any more and the internal DHCP server is (or at least should be) disabled along with any routing or NAT functionality. Offering private DHCP addresses from the internal DHCP server to connected clients in such a scenario would be pointless as there's no NAT taking place, and you'd then have no Internet connectivity. Any DHCP requests from connected clients will then simply be forwarded on to UPC's network as you have seen, and each device gets it's own public IP address.

I know that in the past UPC would offer 3 addresses, as back in the day when they were only offering modems, people on here were attaching their old eircom ADSL routers by connecting their modems to one of the router's ethernet ports, and although this would work up to a point (albeit with none of the security offered by NAT or firewall), odd things started happening when more than 3 clients were connected, either wired or wireless. I don't have first hand experience of this, but there are old threads on here relating such experiences if you search.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

But when you place the router in bridge mode, then it's not a router any more and the internal DHCP server is (or at least should be) disabled along with any routing or NAT functionality. Offering private DHCP addresses from the internal DHCP server to connected clients in such a scenario would be pointless as there's no NAT taking place, and you'd then have no Internet connectivity. Any DHCP requests from connected clients will then simply be forwarded on to UPC's network as you have seen, and each device gets it's own public IP address.

I know that in the past UPC would offer 3 addresses, as back in the day when they were only offering modems, people on here were attaching their old eircom ADSL routers by connecting their modems to one of the router's ethernet ports, and although this would work up to a point (albeit with none of the security offered by NAT or firewall), odd things started happening when more than 3 clients were connected, either wired or wireless. I don't have first hand experience of this, but there are old threads on here relating such experiences if you search.
    The whole point of this thread iis about using yiur own router connected to the epc ...so i dont see where this thing abiut using multiple public ip's comes in...yiu will still only be using one.

Advertisement