Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to contract on buying a house

• 06-12-2011 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all...i've decided to take the plunge and am buying a 4bed house on the outskirts of Galway. I intend on living in it for a few years then renting it out and building on a family site after that period of time. Does anyone think the banks would have a problem giving me a second mortgage on the new build a bit further down the line?? I've asked the banks (boi) mortgage advisor and she gave me a wishy washy kinda answer.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Do you need to buy now?

Could you not continue what you're doing now, and then build your new house whenever?

Personally I think lumbering yourself with a house in the future that you have to worry about getting rented out is not wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

the bank would be very whishy washy alright .. the reason being ...

They really have no idea what the state of the property market will be like in a few years, more than likely you will be in neg equity this time next year if you buy now and it is almost impossible to secure a second mortgage when your current mortgage is in neg equity.

What you are proposing to do seems like a bad move from the outset.

You obviously want to self-build in a few years, why not rent until then. If you qualify for a mortgage now you will more than likely have no problem in a few years getting the finance for the self-build.

Advertisement