Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Private landlords?

Options
  • 05-12-2011 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Do you have any recommendations/numbers for private landlords in dublin?

I hate agencies for numerous reasons and having a private landlord is just more convenient.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

There are thousands... what sort of property are you looking for and where?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

No real way of comprehensively checking out a private landlord as most people will only have dealt with a very limited amount in their lifetime - there is as yet no "ratemylandlord" type service available. What you can do is check out the Private Rented Tenancies Board website (https://www.prtb.ie/) where all private tenancies must be registered by law. If a property you're looking at isn't on there then the landlord is either a cowboy trying to evade tax by keeping the property below the radar or is a complete eejit who isn't aware of his/her responsibilities - neither of which are good signs. While being on the register doesn't mean that the landlord will be fantastic it does at least demonstrate that they're prepared to adhere to some standards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Custardpi wrote: »
    NWhat you can do is check out the Private Rented Tenancies Board website (https://www.prtb.ie/) where all private tenancies must be registered by law.
    Not all private tenancies need be registered by law. Some landlords may not want the PRTB poking itself into their affairs, so have tenancies which are not registerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Kosseegan wrote: »
    Not all private tenancies need be registered by law. Some landlords may not want the PRTB poking itself into their affairs, so have tenancies which are not registerable.

Why would they not want a body set up to promote transparency in the rental sector to have that information? What would they have to hide? What type of properties would be exempt? As a private renter I've always checked out properties by this method since the register came in & queried any properties I've looked at that weren't on it. In almost every case (honest oversights do happen of course!) where it wasn't the response to my query was evasive & shifty so I chose not to rent those properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ceekay123

I want a house/apartment just in the city :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Custardpi wrote: »
    Why would they not want a body set up to promote transparency in the rental sector to have that information? What would they have to hide? What type of properties would be exempt? As a private renter I've always checked out properties by this method since the register came in & queried any properties I've looked at that weren't on it. In almost every case (honest oversights do happen of course!) where it wasn't the response to my query was evasive & shifty so I chose not to rent those properties.

Quite reasonably they don't want interference in their contracts. Who wants to be told what to do by the PRTB. The service is pathetic anyway. There are 10 categories of tenancy excluded from the ambit of the PRTB. These categories are set out in the Residential Tenancies Act. Landlords are better off without tenants like you anyway.

Advertisement