Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Removing a tree on private property

• 24-10-2015 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy a house and have plans to extend out the back. The back garden has trees however (probably 5m tall, established), at least one of which would have to be removed.

I assumed this would be a non-issue, being on my private land, but someone mentioned to me that there might be issues by conservationists etc.

Anyone have any experience of this? Are there specific rules with what you can do on your own land?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭GrayFox208

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a house and have plans to extend out the back. The back garden has trees however (probably 5m tall, established), at least one of which would have to be removed.

I assumed this would be a non-issue, being on my private land, but someone mentioned to me that there might be issues by conservationists etc.

Anyone have any experience of this? Are there specific rules with what you can do on your own land?

I googled it and on garden plans Ireland it says that if it's over 10 years old then no you can't but there are exceptions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

We bought a house recently, the house is listed & had large trees (25+ years old) around the boundary. We removed about 5 & cut right back the rest. Never crossed our minds to ask permission. Have to say the neighbours were only too glad to see them go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i ll let you know if theres repercussions on such actions op as im in the middle of chopping myself. if you hear of some fella being jailed for threatening some tree huggers with a chainsaw, take it as a no, you cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's amazing the number of trees that die from the frost during winter ;)
    In reality unless it's an really old Oak , Ash tree etc you will be grand. Chop away old trees also tend to cause trouble to foundations and sewage.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Archaeoliz

We're looking at removing some trees too and I've been looking into it recently. Here's the official guidance:

http://www.teagasc.ie/forestry/advice/felling_licences.asp

The exemptions and penalties are there too
    The requirement for a felling licence for the uprooting or cutting down of trees does not apply where:

The tree in question is a hazel, apple, plum, damson, pear, or cherry tree grown for the value of its fruit or any ozier;
    The tree in question is less than 100 feet from a dwelling other than a wall or temporary structure;
    The tree in question is standing in a County or other Borough or an urban district (that is, within the boundaries of a town council, or city council area).

Other exceptions apply in the case of local authority road construction, road safety and electricity supply operations.

Penalties for illegal felling can be severe, ranging from fines of up to a maximum of €63.49 per tree to imprisonment for up to 2 years. In addition to any fine which may be imposed by the Court, the Minister may, by Order, require the person convicted to replant

• Advertisement
Advertisement