Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gusty Conditions

Options
  • 14-01-2015 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭

It is probably a technical point but I was wondering what would be the circumstances likely to make the wind gusty or steady?

I imagine it is all down to whether the lines of isobars on a chart are more or less stable but what might influence that.

With the strong winds we are having recently I have been looking at wind maps such as you can find at
    http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-11.61,54.13,3000

and since the lines seemed to stretch right back well into the middle of the Atlantic I said to myself "well I don' think there will be many gusts on top of the strong winds" -but the met service did give a warning for such gusts.

Is there any way we can judge for ourselves whether winds might turn out to be gusty or steady?

More generally are there any online tutorials explaining how to interpret weather charts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's a very good question & it's disappointing that no one has given you an answer. I would also like to know. I suspect that while there is even a million to one chance of snow people will be otherwise engaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Here's a very simple explanation: As you go higher in the atmposhere the wind speed increases. Gusts are basically these higher level windspeeds mixing down to ground level. The more unstable the atmosphere, the more likely they will mix down to lower levels.

Advertisement