Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

1484950515254»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I didn't think there would be an actual bus in the image.

was just hoping for an image of a 50 foot wave all angry.

I figured that there aren't to many ways of capturing such an image and surviving long enough to upload/share.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Halpenny

Great minds eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Tactical wrote: »
    Well said M.T. well said.

Many thanks for all your experienced input and forecasting.

Thanks to all the other regular experts here whose opinion and input and forecasts I also value.

As far as I'm concerned, the level of warning attached to this weather event both here on the weather forum and by Met Eireann was perfectly warranted.

They were warnings. Not a guarantee of what was going to happen but a notice to take heed and prepare accordingly.

What happens in practice can never be certain before an event but rest assured if no warnings were given things could be a lot worse.

As for things not apparently being too bad in Limerick, locally in West Limerick trees were knocked and roads blocked. Not as widespread as Feb 12th 2012 but nonetheless trees did get blown down. I have also heard on a news broadcast that a tree fell on a vehicle with its driver inside it. I don't have an exact location other than Limerick, possibly near or in the city.

The incident happened in Anglesborough
    on the Cork / Limerick border and near the Galty mountains. The thing about county Limerick is that it stretches all the way from sea level to an elevation of over 3000 feet. Part of the Red Warning issued for Limerick by ME related to exposed and mountainous areas. Those regions are likely to be severely affected during severe storms more so than low lying areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Halpenny

It is a strange thing when people appear disappointed/disgruntled that the storm didn't live up to their expectations of a Red Warning even though is did eventually prove to be a level 3 storm albeit not as wide spread as last year's Feb storm. And it's sad that they then vent their anger at the individuals who, in good faith, made their findings known and accuse them of "hyping" things up when that couldn't be further from the truth.

A newspaper headline using the word BOMB is hype. Pages upon pages of data and information over a number of days on boards certainly does not equate to hype.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't I guess. On-wards to the next system and I hope all you avid weather followers continue to keep us novices so well informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Mech1

Halpenny wrote: »
    It is a strange thing when people appear disappointed/disgruntled that the storm didn't live up to their expectations of a Red Warning even though is did eventually prove to be a level 3 storm albeit not as wide spread as last year's Feb storm. And it's sad that they then vent their anger at the individuals who, in good faith, made their findings known and accuse them of "hyping" things up when that couldn't be further from the truth.

A newspaper headline using the word BOMB is hype. Pages upon pages of data and information over a number of days on boards certainly does not equate to hype.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't I guess. On-wards to the next system and I hope all you avid weather followers continue to keep us novices so well informed.

Nothing orange level for the passengers and crew Holding, Missed approaches, Diversions etc today at Dublin airport. Red warning well in order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Mech1 wrote: »
    Nothing orange level for the passengers and crew Holding, Missed approaches, Diversions etc today at Dublin airport. Red warning well in order.

Look at the dublin airport winds and you will find an orange level wind.
    Whether planes can land or not does not dictate wind warnings.

I see alot of jokes about this storm on Facebook and alot giving out about the cancellation of schools (also alot praising this :P).

My fear is that people will not trust red warnings in the future and will end up putting themselves at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Carnacalla wrote: »

My fear is that people will not trust red warnings in the future and will end up putting themselves at risk.

It's not 'the boy who cried wolf' it's a red warning and it's weather I'd trust those in the know to advise - most certainly would not take unnecessary journeys - baton down the hatches and be only too delighted it passed over without causing damage - why would anyone be disenfranchised by being too warned?

I have no doubt Red Warnings can save a life/lives and alert the masses more than weather jargon used to, for the populous. Also I know if I was a school going child now I'd be rubbing my hands at the thought of closures!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Pretzill wrote: »
    It's not 'the boy who cried wolf' it's a red warning and it's weather I'd trust those in the know to advise - most certainly would not take unnecessary journeys - baton down the hatches and be only too delighted it passed over without causing damage - why would anyone be disenfranchised by being too warned?

I have no doubt Red Warnings can save a life/lives and alert the masses more than weather jargon used to, for the populous. Also I know if I was a school going child now I'd be rubbing my hands at the thought of closures!

A lot of people are annoyed with having to miss work or orginise babysitters for their children while off school. Of course if your in school its great :).

My point is their has been a lot of Facebook and even news reports saying how much Met Eireann overreacted, IMO they gave what they could with the info they had, but not many people are as educated in the weather as people on here. People may have less faith in the warnings and therefore not act with as many precautions when a red warning is seen.

Parts of cork and Kerry got bad weather and Dublin Airport was certainly hit with a strong crosswind, but that's not as widespread as predicated. Here in west Clare the storm peaked at around 7pm, with winds slightly abating after that before levelling for a few hours at a maybe gale force, but certainly nothing more. Nothing shook, the lights didn't flick, very little wind noise which is quite the contrary to the storm last February.

Met Eireann does issue warnings for a reason and a lot of people respect these warnings, but there still people who don't and this will increase with this slight disappointment of a storm. All it takes is for a few eejits to decide to drive along a cliff, have a Sunday drive through a forest, or even leave out garden furniture for accidents to happen, and the more eejits there is, the more accidents and eventually fatalities you will see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

gozunda wrote: »
    on the Cork / Limerick border and near the Galty mountains. The thing about county Limerick is that it stretches all the way from sea level to an elevation of over 3000 feet. Part of the Red Warning issued for Limerick by ME related to exposed and mountainous areas. Those regions are likely to be severely affected during severe storms more so than low lying areas.

Blanket red for limerick in effect for all of limerick from 9pm. After the peak.

Previous, sensible warning was red for exposed or coastal areas. Orange otherwise.

Just in case you were confused or making things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Zack Morris

A hurricane is an area of low pressure over tropical or sub-tropical waters, with organised convection and winds at low levels of at least 74 m.p.h. Hurricane Season runs from June 1 to November 30.

I know this. I already explained it in a previous comment on this thread. You should be explaining that to the posters whom cannot distinguish the difference between a European windstorm and a tropical storm.
    A hurricane can on rare occasions maintain Hurricane status as it reaches Ireland as Oneiric shows. Map below tracks of all known Atlantic tropical cyclones from 1851 to 2012

Hurricane Debbie may have reached sustained winds of 74mph at Malin Head, but whether it maintained its tropical storm status is up for debate, but it certainly was not a hurricane by the time it reached Ireland. Your map includes extratropical storms, not just tropical storms - they are related but they're not the same thing.

There's more to a tropical storm than just sustained winds and being a low pressure system. They're actually clusters of rotating thunderstorms that suck up energy from seas surface temperatures of 26.5*C and produce heavy rain. Oh and because they're composed of thunderstorms, the cloudtops are a brilliant white. Most of them have an eye in the center, where the weather is very calm.
    European wind storms can often reach hurricane status wind speed wise but aren't classified as such as they don't form over warm waters which Hurricanes do. Globally storms of this type forming between 30° and 60° latitude are known as extratropical cyclones

Congratulations. You know how to copy and paste stuff. I already know this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

F-Stop wrote: »
    BuoyM3Graph.JPG

There you go.

Obviously, this is from the Met Eireann website

Did the poor people on the bus get a warning? :(

Blanket red for limerick in effect for all of limerick from 9pm. After the peak.

Previous, sensible warning was red for exposed or coastal areas. Orange otherwise.

What? "Making things up" ? Making what up exactly?

This is what I said
    gozunda wrote:
    on the Cork / Limerick border and near the Galty mountains. The thing about county Limerick is that it stretches all the way from sea level to an elevation of over 3000 feet. Part of the Red Warning issued for Limerick by ME related to exposed and mountainous areas Those regions are likely to be severely affected during severe storms more so than low lying areas.

These were the warnings
    Status Red warning issued by ME at 14:00
    MetEireann wrote:
    National Weather Warnings

STATUS RED
    Wind Warning for Exposed coastal and mountain areas of Donegal, Sligo, Mayo, Galway, Clare, Limerick and Kerry.
    Wind gusts 130 to 150km/h possible.

High onshore seas also

Issued:Wednesday 14 January 2015 14:00
    Valid:Wednesday 14 January 2015 21:00 to Thursday 15 January 2015 12:00

Status Red issued at 20:00
    MetEireann wrote:
    2000 update
    National Weather Warnings

STATUS RED

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick

Mean speeds in excess of 80 km/h with gusts of 130 to 150km/h possible. The strongest winds will be along exposed coasts and mountainous areas.
    Issued:
    Wednesday 14 January 2015 20:00
    Valid:
    Wednesday 14 January 2015 20:00 to Thursday 15 January 2015 14:00

Do explain your reasoning if any ....

gozunda wrote: »
    Do explain your reasoning if any ....
    The 2pm warning was relatively apt. The 8pm warning was not.
    Justifying an upgrade to blanket red for limerick by emphasising the parts that refer to specific locations is just illogical?

edit - just to make this clear - if exposed / coastal areas having a red warning was the reason for the upgrade to a blanket red for limerick - why was limerick not blanket red at 2pm? There was no upgrade for exposed/coastal areas between 2pm and 8pm.

If the same systems and criteria led to an orange for darwin (until structural damage occurred) and a red for rachel, then there is something wrong with those systems and criteria.

If the systems and criteria were updated between the two, then they need to be revised further.

If there is another significant overshoot/undershoot on the next storm then the credibility of what should be a useful system will be seriously damaged.

The 2pm warning was relatively apt. The 8pm warning was not.
    Justifying an upgrade to blanket red for limerick by emphasising the parts that refer to specific locations is just illogical?

That is your opinion on the ME Status Red warnings and has nothing to do with my post.

I stated it how it was in the context of a tree falling on an individual in a mountainous area of Co Limerick. There was no making it up or confusion as you put it. I suggest you take up any issues you may have with ME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod note

Overly confrontational. There's no need to personalise the discussion - play the ball, not the man - see point 3

Thanks

Yup, that was uncalled for, as was some of my followup post. Apologies. My beef isn't really with any individual but an unreliable orange/red system but I've channelled that frustration the wrong way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement