Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What to offer?

• 07-12-2011 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

I am a first time buyer and have been keeping an eye on a house near me. It has been up on the market for a good few months now and the price has dropped twice. The current asking value is 199,000 and I think the original asking price was in around 245,000. The house in question is in need of quite a good bit of work but my question is what would be a reasonable offer to make?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Impossible to answer this unless you post a link to the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

150k?

As zac8 says, depends on the property and the amount of work that needs done.

Ignore the original asking price. This was probably a boom price. They are ancient history now.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

€199k is still an absolute joke, with the sheer volume of renovation work involved I wouldnt pay a penny over €120k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

There is a 3 bed near me for sale and its in tip top condition. En suite, wooden floors, new kitchen etc and its going for 200k so there is no way I would even think of paying that for your one op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Dubdude wrote: »

That first appeared on the market in May 2011 at 300k and has been dropping since - www.irishhousehunter.com.

Seller was clearly chancing their arm and now trying to adjust to a more realistic price. Still some way off though.

Have a look at installing this plugin for daft.ie which will show you a history of price changes while you're browsing properties - property bee. This is invaluable for any buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Too much work to be done in that property for it to be worth that. You will be able to pick up something similar with a lot less work. THis is around the corner and less work.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/1-clarence-mangan-road-the-tenters-south-circular-road-dublin-8/1255695

Price seems to be relatively reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I'd start with a bid of about 100,000 and wouldn't pay anything more then 115,000.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Too much work to be done in that property for it to be worth that. You will be able to pick up something similar with a lot less work. THis is around the corner and less work.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/1-clarence-mangan-road-the-tenters-south-circular-road-dublin-8/1255695

Price seems to be relatively reasonable

Ye but that is a lot smaller and only has a yard out the back with a little front garden, also just down the road is a girls secondary school which means you get groups going up and down the road in the morning at lunch and afternoon so it would be quite busy mon - fri. Plus the road it is on is very busy for on street parking which means its a battle to get parking outside your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

It could take up to 100k to completely finish that house inside and out, bear that in mind when deciding what you'l pay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Ye but that is a lot smaller and only has a yard out the back with a little front garden, also just down the road is a girls secondary school which means you get groups going up and down the road in the morning at lunch and afternoon so it would be quite busy mon - fri. Plus the road it is on is very busy for on street parking which means its a battle to get parking outside your house.
    I don't think there is that much of a difference in size. The back garden in corner houses tend to be pretty small and looks v small in the sattelite picture. I take your word on the parking as I don't know the area that well.

They both have benifits but the OP one needs a lot of work a 100K is probably a bit on the high side of estimations but it always depends on the quality and how much you do yourself.

People are funny when they quote massively low prices I doubt they have ever bought a house or really ever paid attention to property prices.

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone who pays 199 grand for that is a mug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

As a general rule, if the street is named after a saint then the maximum offer is €0.
    There may be exceptions, this isn't one.

awec wrote: »
    Anyone who pays 199 grand for that is a mug.

Never said I was going to pay that and if you read the OP you will see that the question was what would be a reasonable offer.

Advertisement