Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

Confirmation of the dry spell in Cork: https://www.met.ie/dry-spells-in-county-cork

We've had such an unusual year of weather. It feels like it's been a pattern of deluge/dry spell/deluge/dry spell since the start of the year. Hopefully tonight's rain isn't the start of another prolonged wet spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Cloudy evening in Wexford, just starting to rain now. TBH I'm glad it's raining for once because watering everything in the garden is a nuisance :D

Cloudy evening in Wexford, just starting to rain now. TBH I'm glad it's raining for once because watering everything in the garden is a nuisance :D

It's been so weird getting the hose back out watering the garden the last few weeks. On the plus side, my garden has had a second wind and some of the plants have flowered again and it's looking great. Fingers crossed we don't get the first frost for another while as it would be nice to enjoy the colour well into October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

There was a snow event in Ireland in December 2000, a huge snow event in December 2010......December 2020 incoming. Just saying :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Clare, Cork and Kerry

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Very windy conditions are expected to develop in parts of Munster overnight and during Thursday morning. Southerly winds veering west to northwest will reach mean speeds of 55 to 65km/h at times, with gusts of 90 to 110km/h, highest in coastal areas and on exposed hills and mountains where winds may temporarily exceed these thresholds.

Given the time of year with many trees in full leaf, there is a greater potential for wind related impacts.

Valid: 23:00 Wednesday 23/09/2020 to 12:00 Thursday 24/09/2020

• Advertisement

Currently sunny in wexford, although it's very cold and feels like winter. Still, it's nicer than most of June, July and August.

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Dublin, Louth, Wicklow and Meath

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy downpours on Wednesday night and into Thursday morning may result in some river and spot flooding.

Valid: 01:00 Thursday 24/09/2020 to 14:00 Thursday 24/09/2020

Issued: 13:00 Wednesday 23/09/2020

Just got a random blast of hail just outside Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Gorgeous day in Dublin today. It's cooler but there's no wind so still very pleasant. This is infinite times better than nearly every day in the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Heavy shower in cork city, stopped now. Sunny spells in between but definitely worse then the last few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I can never understand ME weather warnings, look at the wind warning below are we to take it that the wind will veer around Limerick and the start again in South Clare.

https://www.met.ie/warnings/today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

Saturday: Mainly dry, with good sunny spells and light northerly or variable winds. Highest temperatures of 11 to 14 degrees.

Above is Met Eireanns Forecast for Saturday
    The main thing I look for in the forecast is what will weather be like on Saturday.
    Because whatever about the other days its important Saturday is nice. Each day I will see what they predict as an experiment. Id reckon myself showers passing over the country a bit like today and cool but no mention in their forecast yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Just got a random blast of hail just outside Galway

Same in Letterkenny, was a nice enough day up till now and just suddenly had a massive hail downpour!

First wintery precip I've seen this season

What? Hail?

I thought that didnt exist anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    I remember the build up to last winter, we had plenty of north-west to south-east lows last October and just as these were starting to turn wintry on high ground towards the end of October we were into a relentless very mild winter from first week of November right across to early March and then we got the dry and mild Spring.

Hopefully this isn't another case of cold October followed by a very mild winter but we shall see.

November was a cool month too but very wet in the east and dry in the northwest. To me, this doesn’t look much different to November last year which is the last thing I would want since it was one of my least favourite months I have experienced. Some had some early snow around 13th/14th too including Kildare :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

despite the cooler air today is a beautiful Autumn's day here in Meath, lots of gardening work/lawnmowers active in the area. I would easily take days like today for the next 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

After a lovely day today very intense hail has arrived here. Surprised there was no thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

sryanbruen wrote: »
    November was a cool month too but very wet in the east and dry in the northwest. To me, this doesn’t look much different to November last year which is the last thing I would want since it was one of my least favourite months I have experienced. Some had some early snow around 13th/14th too including Kildare :rolleyes:

Remember October 2008 which was cold around Halloween with snow on mountains in the east. If I remember correctly Winter 2008/2009 was mixed. We had some mild, wet days but also some cold, foggy days before Christmas. Then we had an easterly in February for a few days. I’d gladly take something similar but yea it will probably turn out to be another sh**te one!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

esposito wrote: »
    Remember October 2008 which was cold around Halloween with snow on mountains in the east. If I remember correctly Winter 2008/2009 was mixed. We had some mild, wet days but also some cold, foggy days before Christmas. Then we had an easterly in February for a few days. I’d gladly take something similar but yea it will probably turn out to be another sh**te one!

The cold foggy days were after Christmas that year. Late Dec/early Jan 2008/09 is one of the more forgotten cold spells. It didn’t provide snow, so that’s probably why but it was very cold and I think I recall waters freezing over near Galway or somewhere in January 2009. The rest of January was changeable and unsettled but not the normal kind before that February easterly you speak of. I’d gladly take it too but asking for a lot here 😂

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

with a bit of luck we may get something similar to February 2008 this winter, a 2 to 3 day cold spell with some snow. Dreaming of a beast from the east or a December 2010 is way overboard, those are generally a once per decade event and Ireland does not always tap into them.

If we are going to get any cold spell this winter i'd like it to happen in either December or January for a change. We are overdue a cold snowy interlude in January by well over a decade so it's overdue. Getting a bit tired of the snow getting here eventually by March.

• Advertisement

Visibility was great today. Good clear air. For those with clear skies tonights pass of the ISS (Space station)is at 2130. Look west. It will be very easy to find.
    Photo below is just outside Westport a short time ago looking towards Mulranny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Gonzo wrote: »
    with a bit of luck we may get something similar to February 2008 this winter, a 2 to 3 day cold spell with some snow. Dreaming of a beast from the east or a December 2010 is way overboard, those are generally a once per decade event and Ireland does not always tap into them.

If we are going to get any cold spell this winter i'd like it to happen in either December or January for a change. We are overdue a cold snowy interlude in January by well over a decade so it's overdue. Getting a bit tired of the snow getting here eventually by March.

Totally agree here, it would be amazing to finally get a snowy blast in January when temperatures would be at their coldest. But as we know it’s as rare as hens teeth in this country.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Here comes the rain.

Would like to see a few sparks with this, but doubtful I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I can never understand ME weather warnings, look at the wind warning below are we to take it that the wind will veer around Limerick and the start again in South Clare.

https://www.met.ie/warnings/today

Let it go or put it in the right thread AT LEAST ffs.

If limerick was included, should Tipperary then be? Hard to imagine the wind dies at the border, same for Waterford, Galway, etc all these other counties.

No part of limerick will see likely winds of yellow criteria, some part of Clare likely will. That's all that the warning means. The warning does not say all of Clare will receive this wind, and then it will die at the politically established border.

1c Mt Dillon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭compsys

1 degree in Mount Dillon atm
    13 in Sherkin

That’s a big difference!

Despite the very mild start, overall September may end up being pretty close to the mean temp as some chilly nights are in store.

Sun is shining again this morning in wexford, clear skies too. It's also pretty cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Savage rain hopping off the ground Meath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm starting to wonder about the puling the electric blanket out of the cupboard! :eek:

• Advertisement

111kph wind in Valentia

Advertisement