Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford University discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Lost me as well, this sure looks like a good news story to me.

It is. and should be getting FAR more coverage than it is getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 RYGCat

7upfree wrote: »

I too am a bit lost on this post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

7upfree wrote: »

Go to any college webpage; There are plenty of these type of awards being given out. When someone wins a Nobel prize we will take real notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Figerty wrote: »
    Go to any college webpage; There are plenty of these type of awards being given out. When someone wins a Nobel prize we will take real notice.

Agreed. I think 7ups "can't deny them now" post means that WIT should be made a University on foot of this award :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    Agreed. I think 7ups "can't deny them now" post means that WIT should be made a University on foot of this award :D:D:D:D

How many awards did Carlow win Pete?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭space2ground1

7 wants whats best for Waterford IT and is sick of the Dublin/Cork/Galway centric media which feeds into their growth and our stagnation.

I find the current tendency to take the P out of people who are passionate about Waterford quite curious so close to an election. Should dissenting voices that disagree with the Dublin/Cork/Galway axis which secures political power for the incumbent government be smacked down by their supporters from the woodwork?

Or he could be paranoid. You choose I guess. :o

O Riain wrote: »
    How many awards did Carlow win Pete?

https://www.itcarlow.ie/study-at-itc/institute-of-technology-of-the-year.htm

As if creedence should be given to any of these awards anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

https://www.itcarlow.ie/study-at-itc/institute-of-technology-of-the-year.htm

hmmm interesting! Carlows sudden move from near the bottom of the IT tables seems to be as a consequence of WIT/CIT and GMIT operating at University level. They are after all in seperate categories so it seems:)

http://9thlevel.ie/university-rankings/sunday-times-league-table/

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

Its an irish times award with no real educational criteria
    2015 winner gmit ,
    2014 winner carlowit
    2013 winner lit
    2012 winner cit
    2011 winner wit
    2010 winner ait
    2009 winner dit
    Etc
    seems like the times just give this award out and carlows turn came around in 2014.The big deal they made about it was embarrassing

imacman wrote: »
    That is an irish times award.
    2015 winner gmit ,
    2014 winner carlowit
    2013 winner lit
    2012 winner cit
    2011 winner wit
    2010 winner ait
    2009 winner dit
    Etc
    seems like the times just give this award out and carlow turn came around in 2014.The big deal they made of it was embarrassing

That was my initial impression. Although in fairness they have been climbing up the tables in the last 10 years.

• Advertisement

That was my initial impression. Although in fairness they have been climbing up the tables in the last 10 years.

Ah lads,, ye are over complicating it.. who ever buys the biggest ad in the paper gets it..
    Ever read the supplement...the winner always has a big add at the back....

Figerty wrote: »
    Ah lads,, ye are over complicating it.. who ever buys the biggest ad in the paper gets it..
    Ever read the supplement...the winner always has a big add at the back....

Well that explains the "IT of the year" not being the top of the league.

Well that explains the "IT of the year" not being the top of the league.

Yup ,, or like the kid a school who gets the most improved sticker..

DIT should be winning it every year. 20,000 students..

• Registered Users Posts: 37 RYGCat

Its an irish times award with no real educational criteria
    2015 winner gmit ,
    2014 winner carlowit
    2013 winner lit
    2012 winner cit
    2011 winner wit
    2010 winner ait
    2009 winner dit
    Etc
    seems like the times just give this award out and carlows turn came around in 2014.The big deal they made about it was embarrassing

Seems like WIT are happy to plug the Sunday Times ranking when it suits them?? (But not when Carlow win)

seems like the times just give this award out and carlows turn came around in 2014.
    Much the same as most 3rd level national awards handed out. Hence my statement that no credence should be attributed to these awards.
    The big deal they made about it was embarrassing
    As embarrassing as suggesting that WIT should be given Uni status based on a research award :D

RYGCat wrote: »
    Seems like WIT are happy to plug the Sunday Times ranking when it suits them?? (But not when Carlow win)

But Carlow won even though they were behind WIT in the rankings. When WIT won they were ahead of Carlow in the rankings. The "IT of the year" has nothing to so with the ranking. It kinds of undermines the award logically speaking.

As embarrassing as suggesting that WIT should be given Uni status based on a research award :D

Nobody said this. But WIT have the credentials without this and you know it. And everyone can see that you know it. So you should be embarrassed...For yourself.

But Carlow won even though they were behind WIT in the rankings. When WIT won they were ahead of Carlow in the rankings. The "IT of the year" has nothing to so with the ranking. It kinds of undermines the award logically speaking.

Absolutely 100% agree and this is a complete red herring.But bashing Carlow is counter productive.The key fact here is WIT shouldnt be forced into any merger and be allowed to got it alone for University status.
    Anybody who thinks that this merger is still viable with all of the bad feeling between the two institute and the TUI strike notice is deluded.
    With a new president about to start WIT its time for a new approach and time to stand up to the politicians who want to bully WIT and Waterford into the stupid merger

Nobody said this. But WIT have the credentials without this and you know it.

Ahem no that is obviously not true. HEA and DoE have been absolutely and categorically clear that no TU can be created without a merger.

However WIT still have to beat this futile drum.
    How many time do they have to be told?

Absolutely 100% agree and this is a complete red herring.But bashing Carlow is counter productive.The key fact here is WIT shouldnt be forced into any merger and be allowed to got it alone for University status.
    Anybody who thinks that this merger is still viable with all of the bad feeling between the two institute and the TUI strike notice is deluded.
    With a new president about to start WIT its time for a new approach and time to stand up to the politicians who want to bully WIT and Waterford into the stupid merger

I loosely agree with most of the above. In fact the whole TU structure across the country will most likely fail due to TUIs outlook (and proposed strike action) on the whole process

• Advertisement

Ahem no that is obviously not true. HEA and DoE have been absolutely and categorically clear that no TU can be created without a merger.

However WIT still have to beat this futile drum.
    How many time do they have to be told?

How many times do "Johnny come lately s" to the debate like yourself need to be told that that this is not a merit It was a made up criteria by the government of the day. The criteria before that was already fulfilled.

How many times do "Johnny come lately s" to the debate like yourself need to be told that that this is not a merit It was a made up criteria by the government of the day. The criteria before that was already fulfilled.
    Can you back up this statement with any facts?

A question, these criteria you mention. Do they meet the standards of a TU or a University?

Can you back up this statement with any facts?

A question, these criteria you mention. Do they meet the standards of a TU or a University?

The facts have been done to death here for six years or more. On the lettters pages of the Irish Times. In Dail Eireann. Have the decency to read the thread before you come along making factless claims. The facts are that there was never a legal requirement for IT's to merge and WIT is closer to a University by itself than any would be merger with Carlow IT would entail. The facts are that the merger criteria has been criticized not by WIT but from other sources which have been reported on by outlets such as prime time etc.

The facts have been done to death here for six years or more. On the lettters pages of the Irish Times. In Dail Eireann. Have the decency to read the thread before you come along making factless claims. The facts are that there was never a legal requirement for IT's to merge and WIT is closer to a University by itself than any would be merger with Carlow IT would entail.

If these facts are so easy to find then please feel free to use them to back up your claims. Otherwise what you claim is just meaningless hyperbole.

And please tell me which "factless claims" I have posted? I'll gladly retract (if they are false) or gladly back them up with evidence (if they are true).
    Will show you how its done. ;)

If these facts are so easy to find then please feel free to use them to back up your claims. Otherwise what you claim is just meaningless hyperbole.

And please tell me which "factless claims" I have posted? I'll gladly retract (if they are false) or gladly back them up with evidence (if they are true).
    Will show you how its done. ;)

I have used them.And I never said they were easy to find. Just that you're to lazy to read the thread. So it's not hyperbole. As for your factless claims on your behalf. Pretty much all of them are. But look we all know you're here batting for Carlow IT so let's disregard with any pretense. The merger is being steamrollered through by Phil Hogan and Brendan Howlin. This has been reported on in the national media and discussed in this thread prompted by the same reports. On the other hand you have only made a half a dozen posts so even for someone as inanimate as yourself can provide the evidence. But be quick I suspect another couple of posts will be too much for you to read.

I have used them.
    Where?
    And I never said they were easy to find.
    You just said they adorned the Irish Times :confused:
    As for your factless claims on your behalf. Pretty much all of them are.
    Which ones?
    On the other hand you have only made a half a dozen posts so even for someone as inanimate as yourself can provide the evidence.
    Ah so number of posts here equates to knowledge on this subject. :eek:
    But be quick I suspect another couple of posts will be too much for you to read.
    Don't really know what you are getting at here.

Where?

Like I said they have been done to death in the thread but go back to about page 40 and you will see reference to the Prime Time debate as well as numerous other links. I am not going to indulge anyone who is too lazy to read six of their own posts any further
    You just said they adorned the Irish Times :confused:

No I didn't. Which post did I say this specifically? Learn to read properly!
    Which ones?

Well you've only made about six in the last day or so. Surely its not to much of a task for you to find your own "facts". Yet you expect me to trawl through 52 pages of posts:D
    Ah so number of posts here equates to knowledge on this subject. :eek:

Who said this?
    Don't really know what you are getting at here.

You don't really know much do you?

Looks lads all arguments aside can we agree that the whole TUI merger /Hunt report was another government policy fudge mainly based on political aims rather than any academic or structural framework.
    It was always going to run into trouble as it has majorly between WIT and ITC and to a lesser extent CIT and Tralee IT. The DIT and Tallaght/Blanchardstown merger in Dublin was always on a better footing as DIT is almost a de-faco university now and going places with the investment in Grangegorman.
    A fact that seems to have passed everyone by in relation to the merger is there is no extra funding coming from the government for this. The closer to the election we get the greater the chances are this whole TU project will have to go back to the drawing board for the ITS outside Dublin under the next government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Looks lads all arguments aside can we agree that the whole TUI merger /Hunt report was another government policy fudge mainly based on political aims rather than any academic or structural framework.
    It was always going to run into trouble as it has majorly between WIT and ITC and to a lesser extent CIT and Tralee IT. The DIT and Tallaght/Blanchardstown merger in Dublin was always on a better footing as DIT is almost a de-faco university now and going places with the investment in Grangegorman.
    A fact that seems to have passed everyone by in relation to the merger is there is no extra funding coming from the government for this. The closer to the election we get the greater the chances are this whole TU project will have to go back to the drawing board for the ITS outside Dublin under the next government.

Spot on , it was always a political fudge and nothing else, it will die with this Governments tenure.
    To be replaced by another Governments promises!

• Advertisement

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Spot on , it was always a political fudge and nothing else, it will die with this Governments tenure.
    To be replaced by another Governments promises!

I will get interesting soon. The GE is not far off so there will be huge pressure on Coffey to get this done. People won't be had this time around. Vague promises will be seen for what they are and it will be a case of twice shy for the voter.

Advertisement