Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

designers working together idea?

• 14-04-2009 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Any unemployed designer people out there wana start a new something along the lines of a working together situation and create exciting stuff?

Just because the world says there is a recession doesnt mean we should sit back and enjoy watching daytime tv!? Now I dont have any real answers but surely a few people, mixing skills and learning new ones, can achieve something, even if its great portfolio pieces, or an exciting exhibition....

Im suggesting perhaps renting the cheapest office space we can find, and beginning a happy place with group ideas to attract clients, and make stuff happen for ourselves.

Im a fashion/multimedia/web designer (I know that's a weird combo!), not too long out of college and with only bits of freelance experience to my name, so dont expect me to a font of knowledge or anything, rather it would be great to get a few enthusiastic people together and see what happens.....

Also if theres any good advice on offer for trying to get something off the ground, im all ears? Thanks

ps. I did think about this and dont feel this is an ad for paid services, but if its more appropriate in the adverts section my apologies, and Ill move it right away!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Where in the world (or country) are you? I finished my honors degree in Industrial Design (Carlow IT) last May and there hasnt been any work going, at least not that I could find anyway.

Sounds like an interesting idea, and something I know that was threw about amoung my classmates this idea of getting together and starting something up, but I think it sounds easier than it is. I'd imagine, and maybe I'm wrong, that you may not attract much if any clients unless you had some considerable work experience under your belt, but, in saying that, if your stuff was good and you could prove yourself at being a capable designer then there is no reason I suppose why you couldnt produce the goods.

Personally I'm going down the root of furniture myself, back to my first love. Again, like the above venture I've never actually worked for anyone making furniture, but, I know I can, and do produce the goods, so I believe its gonna be hard to get a foothold at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭susy

Thanks, it stupidly never crossed my mind to say where I was, Im in Dublin.

Yeah I finished up my course last October, and Im finding very little in the way of jobs out there. I kinda get the impression that those junior jobs I might have had a chance with are now going to people with a couple years experience (which is great for those people!) but I feel its next to impossible to get that first step in the door anywhere these days.

I have managed to get a few very lovely freelance projects, which is just great, but I also had to turn away some work because I just didn't have the knowledge for the project. So this is kinda my basis for thinking that there are possibilities for getting something like this off the ground, the more people you have with various skills the better the chances. Im not thinking its gona be a huge money maker for a while, but Im pretty sure there's some self employment incentive, where you can keep getting the dole for a while till you find your feet, so in that way what have you got to lose really?!

Another half project I was thinking about was getting an online shop for beautiful products, so maybe if that ever happens you might like to include some furniture, im just on for anything that gets designers getting work!! Best of luck with it anyways!

Lol, yeah, I found that too, the whole 'get back to us when you have a couple of years experience', seemed to be the same story everytime, the only trouble being that if you cant get in anywhere where do you find this illusive 'couple of years experience'?! :rolleyes:

I'm trying to find a niche and currently trying to find a unique style, something thats uniquely Irish, traditional and most of all hand made with care and attention, ie something that will last and be valued. I dont know how the current economic climate will effect yours or my plans, some say its a good time to go out on your own as people start to invest more in home industries and supporting there own........just hope thats the case ;).

The only thing that really puts me off is the business side of things and unfortunately when going out on your own you have to become a business man first and (in my case) craftsman/designer second.
    susy wrote:
    Another half project I was thinking about was getting an online shop for beautiful products, so maybe if that ever happens you might like to include some furniture, im just on for anything that gets designers getting work!!

Sounds like an idea to me, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, and sure let me know how things go. Best of luck to you too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

susy wrote: »

Im suggesting perhaps renting the cheapest office space we can find, and beginning a happy place with 1.)group ideas to attract clients, and 2.)make stuff happen for ourselves.

1.) Group ideas to attract clients - is that another way of saying "artificially creating demand"? For example, you made up an idea, yet there is no demand for it, and then you are trying to sell it. It's a bit of a gamble, some people may like it, and some may not. If there's no demand for something, then there's no need for it. The reason why clients choose their designers is that they want something improved. The reason why clients choose their designers is that they want something improved, that has already been researched and tested. In other words, attracting clients never works, let clients attract you instead.

The only way in which you can attract clients in these times is through process improvement. Say, if you are in graphic design, you can propose a cheap method of printing or an idea for a software program that can ease the process of prepress setup and halftone pattern manipulation.

When it comes to styling and visual design, the only way you can attract clients is to stage exhibitions of your own work, and rise through the ranks to have your work displayed in trade publications, etc.

2.) Making stuff happen for yourselves is very difficult, you'll have to get someone to let it happen for you, e.g investor or a patron.

Sorry to be on a rant, but I have some more pointers:

How about ditching the whole business side of things completely, and going for something more worthy?

My suggestion is that we should use vacant retail spaces, especially in Dublin and Cork, to stage exhibitions of stuff. We could use industrial design, sound and computer graphics skills to present information in an exciting way, to educate and entertain. We could make installations, animations and infographics relating to raising awareness of subjects.

There was a BBC series called "Look around you", http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCWA7uevo_Q It's far from educating, its actually 100% spoof, but it raises awareness of a subject in a completely interesting way. If we could do the same with our design skills, we could be on a roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭susy

Hey, thanks for all the advice, I'm sure I said a lot of things that made no sense with the current practise of design studios, but that's just because I don't know how they work, not having been able to get a job since finishing up college. Im not trying to totally revolutionise the ways to attract/let clients attract me, I just want to spend time working on interesting projects, like exhibitions etc which may or may not get a little bit of recognition and help us build our careers in some way, (not necessarily in a business money making way).Also Ive been offered bits of work with were beyond my skills and it would be great top be part of a group that could share this work. Sorry for causing any kind of rant from you....

Id absolutely love to take empty stores and do interesting things in them, sounds like just the kind of thing I'd enjoy getting into. If you're interested Id love to chat more about the idea, what we could do and how? And I can promise to keep it totally non-business.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

I'd be interested in this. Well at least meeting up for a preliminary meet and greet.

PM if you're interested - I'm in south Dublin but work close to Pearse Street. Can meet almost anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Bakharwaldog

Wow. This sounds like a pretty cool idea. Im still in college but if i was finished and without work id definately be interested. Seems like a good way to broaden your skill set and maybe gain some experience. I could see this being succesfull or at least very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

susy wrote: »
    Any unemployed designer people out there wana start a new something along the lines of a working together situation and create exciting stuff?

Just because the world says there is a recession doesnt mean we should sit back and enjoy watching daytime tv!? Now I dont have any real answers but surely a few people, mixing skills and learning new ones, can achieve something, even if its great portfolio pieces, or an exciting exhibition....

Im suggesting perhaps renting the cheapest office space we can find, and beginning a happy place with group ideas to attract clients, and make stuff happen for ourselves.

Im a fashion/multimedia/web designer (I know that's a weird combo!), not too long out of college and with only bits of freelance experience to my name, so dont expect me to a font of knowledge or anything, rather it would be great to get a few enthusiastic people together and see what happens.....

Also if theres any good advice on offer for trying to get something off the ground, im all ears? Thanks

ps. I did think about this and dont feel this is an ad for paid services, but if its more appropriate in the adverts section my apologies, and Ill move it right away!

I think that is an excellent idea Susy. Go for it! There is a market for this and it does need folks like yourself with this kind of initiative and interest to make it work. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭chocolatepan

Hi all,

This sounds really interesting, like a design co-op. I am also like yourself, a recent graduate. I've also been looking for full time work and have got the similar reply of needing more experience. My degree is Visual Communications with my strength in print design. I also dabble in crafting and fashion design. The variety of skills on offer could potentially lead to some exciting and portfolio-worthy stuff!

I've been in the printing industry since 1998. Background as a screen printer, and 8 years designing for print in lithographic and digital for magazine, books etc. Anything from b/c size to 40 foot banners.

I'm still interested and haven't had a pm yet.

What's happening with this idea?

• Advertisement

We haven't hit on a universal decision. Simple as that. An exhibition has to be focused, rather than contain random unconnected pieces.

What I'd advise to do is actually to do more research on designer collectives, etc - not how they got together, but where have they got space and funding for promoting their work. Look up "Troika" on google, the people who designed the "Cloud" installation in Heathrow Airport.

I thought the idea was to start a business not an exhibition?

sorry about this, I was meant to use the word "business" or venture instead of "exhibition".

However, I have to say that even before starting a business, we'll have to do some research beforehand and only then start pitching some ideas.

That's why I suggested a meet up for a meet and greet type of thing in an informal setting.

See what we can bring to the table etc.

I'll be onto this too - I'm based in Dublin on Fridays from 16:00 to 23:00
    I'm not sure about venues to stage meetings, but the only good one I can think of is DIT Aungier Street, but it closes at 21:00. I'm a student there and I can book conference rooms for meetings.

I'll be onto this too - I'm based in Dublin on Fridays from 16:00 to 23:00
    I'm not sure about venues to stage meetings, but the only good one I can think of is DIT Aungier Street, but it closes at 21:00. I'm a student there and I can book conference rooms for meetings.

I was thinking of a hotel lobby, bar, or somewhere public.

I mean a totally informal area. Sit down and have a chat and introduce ourselves and what we do and what the idea is.

I perfectly agree on the last point, as long as the hotel or a informal area will be in Dublin. Sorry to be so picky, but I just don't have the time to go anywhere else, due to current college workload.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭veryrandom

This sounds like a really good idea, i myself am in my second yr of college but have a strong liking for graphic design and would love the oppertunity to expand my horizons in this area. So the idea sounds great!

Would 1st of June suit anyone for the meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

If someone wants to take the lead on this, I'd be open to providing a venue
    ( studio) for your meeting (Terenure area). I'd also be willing to provide some professional insights/discussion on design matters etc.

Designers with attitude need only reply.

• Advertisement

Would 1st of June suit anyone for the meeting?
    If someone wants to take the lead on this, I'd be open to providing a venue
    ( studio) for your meeting (Terenure area). I'd also be willing to provide some professional insights/discussion on design matters etc.

Sounds good. Count me in.

count me in too - will try to make it.

Define a 'designer with attitude'. And why is it only limited to these? So you might be a great designer, do good work but because you havent got 'attitude' you're not in the gang?

Define a 'designer with attitude'. And why is it only limited to these? So you might be a great designer, do good work but because you havent got 'attitude' you're not in the gang?

Sorry just putting a marker down to avoid 'talking shop merchants'. The OP has a good idea, I'd like to help, but if anyone is feeling excluded, so what, welcome to the big bad world, where you either do something or waste?

My offer was to facilitate designers who want to do something and not just talk about it!

Why do I even bother with this?

Sorry just putting a marker down to avoid 'talking shop merchants'. The OP has a good idea, I'd like to help, but if anyone is feeling excluded, so what, welcome to the big bad world, where you either do something or waste?

My offer was to facilitate designers who want to do something and not just talk about it!

Why do I even bother with this?

A bit like a quote from "Glengarry Glenn Ross" fillum ;) However, I would be willing to have the meeting even next week - 15th of may - and get the ball rolling asap

I think the idea is that everyone comes along and we can all see what we have to offer and bring to the table.

Whether it's management skills, sale skills, design skills, print knowledge, technical ability, cold calling, editing, proof reading, etc.

Bring what you've got and we'll figure it out.

Any date, any time. Except Wednesday at 3.30 that's my special time.

OK let's see what suits most best and we'll fix date and time. So far there are 2 people interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 CU-Cme

make that 3 :)

A bit like a quote from "Glengarry Glenn Ross" fillum ;) However, I would be willing to have the meeting even next week - 15th of may - and get the ball rolling asap

Cheers, but no seriously, I wasn't trying to be smart, but want to just avoid risk of meetings about meetings!

So hopefully it will be a creative brainstorm with clear action points!:D

• Advertisement

I got a pm there asking if I wanted to invite people to my offices.

The answer is no.

What i'm getting at is that we all meet somewhere public and sit down and get to know each other a little bit first.

Rather then running out there and renting office space and not having a clue what we're going to do or what each person does.

Advertisement