Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Capcom Home Arcade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Looks great, some amazing games in that lineup. I wonder will this be similar....

"SNK Is Making New Neo Geo Hardware, As Well As A New Metal Slug"

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/04/snk_is_making_new_neo_geo_hardware_as_well_as_a_new_metal_slug

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

€230 though , yikes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Looks woeful. Like a giant fridge magnet.
    And two street fighter 2s and Capcom sports club.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Given the hackable trend of these types of devices, how likely is it that this will be capable of supporting more games, via that fruity little USB port in the back?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Given the hackable trend of these types of devices, how likely is it that this will be capable of supporting more games, via that fruity little USB port in the back?

Although it is not even out, it has probably been hacked already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Looks great, some amazing games in that lineup. I wonder will this be similar....

"SNK Is Making New Neo Geo Hardware, As Well As A New Metal Slug"

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/04/snk_is_making_new_neo_geo_hardware_as_well_as_a_new_metal_slug

AES mini? Now that would be something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

Now the Arcade1UPs that sold for €200 don't seem like such a bad deal after all! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It looks horrible, it would have been better if they hadn't shaped it around the edges and just had it rectangular. The overlay colour on the buttons as well....yikes. Too expensive for what it is too.

o1s1n wrote: »
    AES mini? Now that would be something.

Well personally I would LOVE an AES mini with proper sticks but the SNK guy in the article was keen to point out that it was nothing to do with Neo Geo mini. There have been rumors of a Neo Geo bartop floating about, I think it might be that. Really hard to tell what it is though. Some of the guys over at the Neo Geo forums seem to think it is some kind of console along the lines of the Atari Box.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭PaulPriest

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Given the emulation is FBAlpha, and it's not even a games or hardware company involved in the production (Koch Media, under license from Capcom), then I think it's highly unlikely that this will be more sophisticated than an embedded Linux (probably with a 10 year old kernel and chock full of known exploits).

Then again, what they seem to be selling is a quirky-shaped, uncomfortable (for 2P at least) controller, with (some) quality parts, an unnecessary and likely underpowered mini PC, and a compilation of ports/emulated CPS-1/2 games that should have been sold as a collection on PC and the consoles. I already have 2 X-Arcades in the loft (one was a freebie) - can't see myself getting another 2P arcade panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭PaulPriest

PaulPriest wrote: »
    Then again, what they seem to be selling is a quirky-shaped, uncomfortable (for 2P at least) controller, with (some) quality parts, an unnecessary and likely underpowered mini PC, and a compilation of ports/emulated CPS-1/2 games that should have been sold as a collection on PC and the consoles. I already have 2 X-Arcades in the loft (one was a freebie) - can't see myself getting another 2P arcade panel.

Following the breadcrumbs - Koch Media claim to have an existing relationship with Retro Games Ltd, makers of the C64 mini (https://www.kochmedia.com/de/hardware/).

Are we going to find them full of repurposed ARM-based PCBs? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

eddhorse wrote: »
    €230 though , yikes

As I've said elsewhere - €230 for a 2-player all-Sanwa custom stick is a steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Sounds like it's all kicking off with this.

https://twitter.com/textfiles/status/1118539702578106369?s=19

https://twitter.com/textfiles/status/1118539704792690690?s=19

Sorry cant copy from Twitter for some reason.

Some poster down the chain has it right though - Capcom aren't the first to commercialize GPL-code software, and they'll get away with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

"Also: Remember, Emulators are evil kids. Unless companies sell them" - can't tell if serious...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Inviere wrote: »
    "Also: Remember, Emulators are evil kids. Unless companies sell them" - can't tell if serious...

Actually quite serious.

Frank Cifaldi faced major backlash from Capcom when he worked on the Megaman Legacy collections. He had to rebuild each game in C from source code as Capcom upper management thought emulation was illegal and damaging to the business. They changed their tune for the later legacy collections. However this is the reason why the Megaman Gameboy legacy collection was cancelled, the source code was lost and upper management would not let Frank and his team use an emulator.

Now they're using open source emulation code. Same as Nintendo who state on their website that using emulation is totally illegal.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Actually quite serious.

Frank Cifaldi faced major backlash from Capcom when he worked on the Megaman Legacy collections. He had to rebuild each game in C from source code as Capcom upper management thought emulation was illegal and damaging to the business. They changed their tune for the later legacy collections. However this is the reason why the Megaman Gameboy legacy collection was cancelled, the source code was lost and upper management would not let Frank and his team use an emulator.

Now they're using open source emulation code. Same as Nintendo who state on their website that using emulation is totally illegal.

So he's jibing at the lads in suits who are hypocrites?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pretty much.

They come down hard on people emulating their own games.

Yet they have no problem selling products based on open source emulation code that they've stolen from the original authors (in some cases, some do go through the right channels, even if the likes of Nintendo still state emulation is illegal).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Does anyone have any reasoning why they're going with Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting rather Super Turbo? I get Hyper Fighting is the game most remember, but Super Turbo is the most complete version of the game (even with Ultra II on the market) that still gets the most love 25 years after release.

• Advertisement

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Does anyone have any reasoning why they're going with Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting rather Super Turbo? I get Hyper Fighting is the game most remember, but Super Turbo is the most complete version of the game (even with Ultra II on the market) that still gets the most love 25 years after release.

Super Turbo is maddeningly difficult, I think Hyper Fighting is a better balance of speed and difficulty for the masses.

Yeah super turbo AI is snk levels of crazy. I think CE is probably the fairest for AI.

Yeah super turbo AI is snk levels of crazy. I think CE is probably the fairest for AI.

CE is my personal favourite, love it to bits. Prob a bit slow for the masses these days though?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yeah it would be my favourite too, it's classic SF2 IMO.

Really miss having a dedicated cabinet for it. Held onto the board though so I'll pick up a third candy for it again a bit down the line when I have more space.

Hyper Fighting is more balanced for competitive play and would be the go to version for classic street fighter. I still think it feels like the hack job it is. All the new moves are using existing animations as it was put together in a rush to combat bootlegs like Rainbow edition. It's also missing all the visual flourishes from CE.

It's also missing all the visual flourishes from CE.

What's that about? Agreed it feels hacky, great game, but was a clear attempt to combat bootleg hacks.

I think Hyper fighting was put in development before CE was released. It might be a romhack of the original Street Fighter 2 rather than an update of CE, I'd have to look into it more.

CE just had some extra background details. Destructible scenery, blood and vomit (yuck) are missing from HF.

I think Hyper fighting was put in development before CE was released. It might be a romhack of the original Street Fighter 2 rather than an update of CE, I'd have to look into it more.

CE just had some extra background details. Destructible scenery, blood and vomit (yuck) are missing from HF.

That'd be bizarre. Would it have been a limitation of some sorts, drop the additional background details in order to have the extra speed/colours for HF?

Anecdotally, HF was the last SF2 that was taken seriously in the US by many OG players like Tomo Ohira - Super SFII was deemed too slow & boring (e.g. players of that era could reaction-DP slow moves/jumps after getting used to HF), and they hated Super SFII Turbo because Super moves essentially became moves that destroyed old-school fireball zoning (e.g. Chun, Ryu, Boxer).

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    That'd be bizarre. Would it have been a limitation of some sorts, drop the additional background details in order to have the extra speed/colours for HF?

I think it was more that those assets weren't available during HF development. And the destructible objects were taken out to keep the game more balanced for tournament level play.

Advertisement