Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on selling a property in Ireland

Options
  • 16-04-2019 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I am asking this for a friend who does not have internet access:

"Hi All, I'm looking for help with the below request because I'm totally useless with Tax issues. I'm Irish and have a house in Ireland which I bought a few years back. I lived there for a couple of years before moving to the UK. I am now settled in the UK and plan to buy property. I've decided to sell my Irish house as it's not possible to keep both. One thing I'm looking for clarification on is Capital Gains Tax. So to the best of my knowledge I shouldn't pay it. I'm Irish it's my only home and I live in the UK but..... I live in the UK and I would hate to get hit with a hefty tax bill if I sell it. Most people have advised I'm not liable for it but others have advised I should double check because I live in the UK. If I'm liable to this fee I simply will not sell up."

All advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

First thing to establish is will there be a gain on the sale?

If no gain, then obviously no CGT.

Second thing to establish is was the house your PPR?

If it was your PPR for all the time before moving to UK, then no CGT, as no CGT on gains made from selling PPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

You will need to provide more detail but you would be able to avail of partial PPR relief on any cgt liability.

Can you provide date of purchase and cost plus associated purchase costs.
    Date of when it ceased to be your PPR.

Advertisement