Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Were you ever scammed while over seas...?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Kidkinobe wrote: »
    I get around a bit and heres my latest experience.
    Im a single 50 year old bloke that loves getting around Asia..If you come to my home and knock on my door and no one answers, I am probably somewhere in Asia...
    Right now I am in Siem Reap, Cambodia, you older generation might remember the TV ads for the starving children in Cambodia in the 1970s and the Trocaire box collection. There are still many families here getting by on a dollar a day but they are out of sight in the rural areas. I can spend $6/7 on one meal, this would last a family in rural Cambodia week.
    In fact one night I spent close to $25 and that was the night of the scam..
    I was on Tinder and hit a match, she was a South African girl, teaching in Cambodia, here 2 years, 32 years old, single obviously, recently divorced or so she told me.
    We got chatting and decided to meet, she is like 20 years younger than me and it was just going to be a few drinks and a chat on a random Monday night.
    We met as planned and she was a breeze to get along with, easy going, friendly, chatty, polite etc etc...Now like I say, I have been around the block and have gotten into and out of some dodge situations in Asia and they all involved women off the internet, but this lady seemed legit and friendly and a bit of a looker to boot.

Siem Reap is well known for its MArijuana and the topic came up if I took the odd toke...Sure, I don't go out and buy it but if there is some wafting around in the air, I will be happy to share a toke, so she asked me if I want some...I was a bit hesitant at first as it was getting on in the night but she twisted my arm.
    So off we went, down these back streets about 11pm at night walking further and further from the safety of the tourist zone, where tourist like me buy the over priced food and drinks.
    On the way there she was on the phone to a friend to come join us, her friend was from Spain, mid 30s and also a teacher. So thats two teachers out on a Monday night smoking weed..

We arrived at the little hut which had a coulee of dodgy looking westerner hippies sitting out front, clearly off their frikken heads on weed or perhaps something a little stronger like opium.
    This joint had a bar and a couple of sofas and random chairs scattered about, all very cosy.
    I ordered 2 whiskeys and coke, $1 each, and she ordered a big fat doobie, $2.
    And we sat and lit up..first draw for me led to a coughing fit, man that stuff was strong and when you only take a toke about twice a year it really hits you hard.
    Nevertheless, I was soon sat in comfort, sipping on my whiskey with my new South African friend beside me...and then she showed up.
    The spanish chick was like a vision from heaven when she entered the small dark room, she kissed my friend on the cheek, I stood to greet her and she kissed me on the cheek and then she sat down to my left on the sofa...
    So picture the scene, one dingy bar, one crap sofa, me in the middle, to my left, one hot chick, to my right another hot chick.

It was about this time little alarm bells started going off in my mind, with big flashing lights.
    Was I too late, was my drink spiked already, we had chatted about roofies earlier in the evening when talking about the dangers of travelling alone, be it male or female. On top of this I was also a little stoned which added to my paranoia, the room seemed to be getting darker and closing in on me.
    I tried to convince myself that these two were not scammers, I didn't know the Spanish chick but I had spent a week on Tinder chatting to Africa Girl and over the last few hours saw no signs of anything awry.
    Then things got weird, the girls were chatting across me and asking about what we should do, it was hitting midnight, I was a little drunk and stoned and so was Africa.
    She mentioned that she had a bottle of whiskey back in her place, maybe we could get more weed, some coke (for the whiskey, not to snort) and all 3 of us go back to hers, when she was saying this, her hand was gently rubbing my leg and giving Spanish a dirty little smile, she was making it very clear what was going to happen.
    "Okay, I said...Lets go', We walked out the door soon after with coke cola and another two joints, waited for about 2 minutes and a tuk tuk came along, I let the ladies in first and I flustered around with my bag while they gave instruction to the driver to where to take us.
    And with that, I took a look at the ladies and said...'Sorry ladies, I have to go' and swiftly walked up the street in the opposite direction in which the tuk tuk was pointing...I don't know where I was going and I didn't look back to witness the look of confusion on the faces of these two ladies.
    And thats another one of those nights where I don't know if I was going to be raped and robbed by a pack of hungry Cambodian men or a night where I was going to heaven and back.
    But, next day I was deleted from tinder, clearly a scam and fortunate enough to get away lightly....It kind of reminds me of the time I was in Bangkok about a decade ago and these two ladies approached me in a shopping Mall as I was looking at the Menu in the window of a restaurant..
    "You are eating here' They asked
    "I am thinking about it'
    "You come to our house and we will make you lunch"
    My mind was saying "its a scam don't do it' But when I opened my mouth to the decline their offer what came out was
    "Sure, I would love to go to yours for lunch"
    5 Minutes later we were in a Taxi heading to their house...

What a waste of time it was to read this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Effects wrote: »
    Do they steal arses now as well as kidneys?

I was there in 2002 and had my kidneys stolen as well as my liver, spleen and left bicep.
    Flew straight back to the UK where I had them replaced on the NHS.
    Brexit means I wouldn't be able to get replacements if it was to happen these days.

Didnt say they stole my arse
    I just said it was in tact

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Sin City wrote: »
    Didnt say they stole my arse
    I just said it was in tact

But you just thought they may have so checked they hadn't, as well as checking your kidneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This is the travel forum.

Not the kind of quality you d usually get here. You d have to wonder about the standard of person who would write something like this at fifty. Its not remotely entertaining.

Im a 50 year old woman and I travel a lot. Never been scammed.but you need your full wits about you travellling.

Not half wits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

anewme wrote: »
    This is the travel forum.Not the kind of quality you d usually get here. You d have to wonder about the standard of person who would write something like this at fifty. Its not remotely entertaining.
    Im a 50 year old woman and I travel a lot. Never been scammed.but you need your full wits about you travellling.Not half wits.

Christ would people lighten up. They're travel stories not the financial accounts of the Deutsche Bank or whatever - although that's currently looking quite promising* :pac:

If the OP is using some poetic license - so what. Some of the best travelogues I've ever read were a mixture of fact, fantasy and whatever makes for an interesting story. :p

The worst were boring monologues of accounts of what people had for breakfast and how they treated their holiday induced foot fungus. But whatever floats your boat I suppose.

If you dont like it - dont read it - simple!

*https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/apr/17/deutsche-bank-faces-action-over-20bn-russian-money-laundering-scheme

• Advertisement

I.... compared to the old up tight Irish bags that are single and looking for a man to hate and abuse...angry frikken cows..mooooo
    ..Anyway, I know my way around a lady boy l]

So, you've swapped Irish women for Asian Lady boys- is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

What a waste of time it was to read this

You read that shyte ? :(;)

gozunda wrote: »
    Christ would people lighten up. They're travel stories not the financial accounts of the Deutsche Bank or whatever - although that's currently looking quite promising* :pac:

If the OP is using some poetic license - so what. Some of the best travelogues I've ever read were a mixture of fact, fantasy and whatever makes for an interesting story. :p

The worst were boring monologues of accounts of what people had for breakfast and how they treated their holiday induced foot fungus. But whatever floats your boat I suppose.

If you dont like it - dont read it - simple!

*https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/apr/17/deutsche-bank-faces-action-over-20bn-russian-money-laundering-scheme

The travel forum is not the same as after hours.

There is another forum for travel reports. Maybe ask for one to be started for sex tourism.

Im not sure I am alone in finding this a complete load of irritating badly written bull**** with no real value.

This is not a travelogue, its a monologue. A very monotonous monologue. This very badly writen monologue peppered with racism, sexism, exploiting poor people and sad behaviour is not what travel is about for people with an interest in responsible travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

What’s the ****ing scam?!

Collie D wrote: »
    What’s the ****ing scam?!

Maybe the scam is that the OP scammed ppl into reading this trippe?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

The OP is looking for validation and high fives for his sexual exploits.

The OP is looking for validation and high fives for his sexual exploits.

Imaginery ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Imaginery ones.

I dunno. In my imaginary sexcapades I tend to get laid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The travel forum is not the same as after hours.
    There is another forum for travel reports. Maybe ask for one to be started for sex tourism.
    Im not sure I am alone in finding this a complete load of irritating badly written bull**** with no real value. This is not a travelogue, its a monologue. A very monotonous monologue. This very badly writen monologue peppered with racism, sexism, exploiting poor people and sad behaviour is not what travel is about for people with an interest in responsible travel.

Wow. It's not a travel report imo. And whatever it is - it's not 'sex tourism'. Afaik it's a (longish) story regarding a holiday based scam. The OP hasn't got to the end yet afaik. I'm ok with that tbh.

Yeah I do get it - you're not a fan of the posters comments. You have different opinions and I respect that. That's a useful two way street.

Don't have to read it though, if you believe it's so bad. That's not difficult tbh.

gozunda wrote: »
    Yeah I do get it - your not a fan of the posters comments. :pac:

Don't have to read it though, if you believe it's so bad. That's not difficult tbh.

Or maybe just post it where its quality or lack thereof is more suited.

You dont open the Times if you are the type of person looking to see a topless woman on Page 3.

Its the quality of his thread is in the wrong place, not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Collie D wrote: »
    I dunno. In my imaginary sexcapades I tend to get laid.

:):). How true

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

closed for mod review

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    closed for mod review

Mod-note:

Just for transparency --> I logged in yesterday for the first-time in 10*weeks <-- I am Not conducting a review due to
    ~ the OP is banned
    ~ the OP was banned for trolling

Should ANother moderator decide to review and perhaps re-open, then that is their prerogative, but I am Not re-opening thereby see no point in reviewing with aim of re-opening.

Thread remains closed by me.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement