Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help choosing a shock collar

• 14-04-2019 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭

Could anyone recommend a good shock dog collar for a bichon freise dog, about half acre garden area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Could anyone recommend a good shock dog collar for a bichon freise dog, about half acre garden area

I’ll start it off, maybe train it instead of shocking the poor dog. Bichons are incredibly easy to train. Or maybe invest in some decent fencing instead of inflicting pain on a small circus dog to keep it from wandering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

em_cat wrote:
    I’ll start it off, maybe train it instead of shocking the poor dog. Bichons are incredibly easy to train. Or maybe invest in some decent fencing instead of inflicting pain on a small circus dog to keep it from wandering.

Used properly nothing wrong with a shock collar or any collar for that matter. Also nothing to do with being easy to train. OP what do you intend using the collar for?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Posts gave been split away from the forum chat thread.

Folks,
    This is very emotive topic, and threads on the topic often end up being closed, with sanctions issued for inappropriate posting.
    I'll remind all posters of the requirement of this forum that all posters treat one another with respect. You don't have to agree with each other, but you do have to make your points respectfully.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Hi op, it would be better to fence the area adequately instead of using a shock collar. If your dogs sees people walking and goes to approach them he will be shocked and this is not good for dog. Could lead to him being nervous around people he doesn’t know in general due to negative association. Even worse when people come into property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Used properly nothing wrong with a shock collar or any collar for that matter. Also nothing to do with being easy to train. OP what do you intend using the collar for?

While any collar has potential to cause physical & emotional pain if used punitively, pain inducing collars are a very different story. And yes it has everything to do with training, or lack there of (not saying this is the case with the OP).

Many countries around the world are or have banned them for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Pet safe collar and wire does the job but you still need to train the dog to move away from the wire rather than just put it down and hope the dog figures it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

MayoSalmon wrote: »

"When used properly" is the usual retort that posters always come out with when using items that cause pain and suffering. When there's a pain free reliable option such as fencing or a dog run, I don't know why anyone would use one in the first place.

OP, they are a controversial piece of equipment. Many people will tell you they work "when used properly" - but fail to mention that they are very easy to use "improperly" and also are very unreliable. You can have batteries run out, electricity to fail (for your e-fence) or a determined dog that will take the pain and run through. And of course, if they come back, there is no incentive to take the pain again just to go home. Have a look at any pound/rescue page around the country, lots of posts show dogs that have been picked up with their e-collars still attached, proof they are unreliable.

They are also documented as being the cause of behavioural problems such as aggression, as a dog who gets a shock can associate the pain with the nearest thing, be that a person, or another dog. They are banned in plenty of EU countries, Wales being the closest, England is the process of banning it so it's only a matter of time before Ireland follows their example.

A dog run will cost a couple of hundred euro if you don't want to fence an entire garden, you might even get a second hand one on adverts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I deliver to a house with a Belgian shepherd that wears one. Yes the dog is contained - for now - but he goes absolutely nuts when I'm outside the property waiting for the householder to come out. He didn't used to be like that, but I think he now associates people with the pain of a shock.
    The last time I was there, he redirected onto the other, smaller dog that lives there and attacked him. Thankfully the owner managed to separate them but I honestly think that one day he is going to take the pain and go over the wall to attack someone, or do serious damage to the other dog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Jayus , sorry I asked, but thanks for all the replies,
    I intend to use the collar to keep the dog in our garden and train it to stay there,
    It’s Too big of a garden to fence and fencing would be damaged by kids footballs and cows
    Quiet country road so very little dog walkers, dog would be kept to rear of house during the day
    Don’t like the idea of hemming it into a run or keeping in a small space internally for summer, that to me is a non runner
    I will train the dog to fence, it will learn the same as the cows
    The shock it would get from the fence would be nothing compared to the shock it would get from a fully grown bull if it wanders into the adjacent fields

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

That's grand op.
    Unless you particularly want it left open, I'll lock this thread now, seeing as you've come to a decision. It'll save us dealing with the Monday morning sh1testorm that I'm confident this thread will become!
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement