Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kitchen Units, Paint, spray or leave as is?

• 07-04-2019 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭

Kitchen about 10 years old. Solid pippy oak, in excellent condition.
    Also a solid oak table, not s match but near enough and excellent quality,

Am doing a mini house refurb and everyine is telling me to paint or spray the kitchen to freshen it up.

Im not a big fan iof those resprays as they almost look plastic and every one is a restoration expert- I think it’s a bit of a fad and people tell me the hand painted kitchens really chip. I dont dislike the pippy oak, but is it really out of fashion, never to return.?

Was thinking of changing handles and splashback tiling to freshen up, keeping the table but repkacing the chairs.

Comments

Like anything else, it's all down to personal preference. The wording of your post suggests you want to keep it as is, so just leave it be.

Everyone has great ideas, but not everyone likes everyone else's great ideas. I have a white gloss 'plastic' kitchen, but I love it. You obviously wouldn't. Much like I wouldn't really be a fan of your pippy oak kitchen (although I haven't seen it, so who knows).

Trends come and go, you'll be looking at it for the next decade or so. Keep it as is if you want to keep it as is, ignore other people. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Like anything else, it's all down to personal preference. The wording of your post suggests you want to keep it as is, so just leave it be.

Everyone has great ideas, but not everyone likes everyone else's great ideas. I have a white gloss 'plastic' kitchen, but I love it. You obviously wouldn't. Much like I wouldn't really be a fan of your pippy oak kitchen (although I haven't seen it, so who knows).

Trends come and go, you'll be looking at it for the next decade or so. Keep it as is if you want to keep it as is, ignore other people. :)

Wot he/she said......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Light sanding clear varnish?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Maybe I’m not phrasing the question well, apologies.

My question is not about personal choices but to do with the finishes.
    do all these re sprays end up leaving the wood with a shiny finish it did not have to start with.( I don’t think it’s meant to be very shiny) or is it more down to the quality of the work. Has anyone got a re spray that turned out well.

I’m more asking about the different finishes between handpainting and spraying.

Handpainting and spraying are just paint techniques. Little to do with the finish, that's down to what paint you use. You can get matt, eggshell, high gloss, etc. various levels of sheen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

anewme wrote: »

Am doing a mini house refurb and everyine is telling me to paint or spray the kitchen to freshen it up.

Im not a big fan iof those resprays as they almost look plastic and every one is a restoration expert- I think it’s a bit of a fad and people tell me the hand painted kitchens really chip. I dont dislike the pippy oak, but is it really out of fashion, never to return.?

Was thinking of changing handles and splashback tiling to freshen up, keeping the table but repkacing the chairs.

Hand paint won't chip if it's done properly and you get someone who uses oil based paint rather than waterbased. I know a guy in kitchens and he says they've all gone back to chemical paints as the water based doesn't last

A lot depends on what kind of doors you have. They might be old fashioned or they might be modern enough. Things like shaker haven't moved on much re: shape. They just have colours on them now

You could try:-

- something a friend has which looks nice. Ground unit doors are ivory and the all above counter unit doors are wood (something very nice but dunno what wood it is). It need not be ivory. You could pick any colour that goes well with the kitchen generally and the wood would look nice

- if the oak is varnished you could (assuming they lend themselves to it) sand them down to bare wood and coat with the coating that the panelling centre sell for countertops. It's soaks into the wood and doesn't leave a veneer on the surface like varnish does. And is pretty bullet proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Thanks for feedback everyone. Love the idea of the two tone units, however kitchen is too small to show off this contrast.

Came home the other night and the kitchen presses were glowing yellow, so decided they must go.They are a nice door, not old fashioned but not shaker, but should come up well.

Im thinkimg of painting the table but keepng the oaktop.

Have checked out a couple of spray painters and their work looks good. Have been told its 25 percent sheen is the one i need. m down to the decision of handpainting vs. Spray painting.

If anyone has had either done and can recommend, please om me. Im based in Naas area.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

anewme wrote: »

You could use an eggshell paint to give it a non shiny finish.

Also if the kitchen was properly cleaned down and sanded correctly it shouldn't chip if the painter uses the correct paint.

As a painter and decorator we're getting a lot of these kitchen repaints and I prefer the non spray finish.

And one thing to remember is there's no going back once you paint it.

Advertisement