Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boyles acting the maggot again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'd bet online and in shops.

Shops are handy if you have a few winners as you get the cold hard cash there and then :)

Or leave empty handy after giving them your cold hard cash :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    It certainly can and does happen that staff members in some shops will be on the take in some way (two in our local boyles got the bullet for this reason supposedly) but it's not all that common I'd imagine and as others have said, there are plenty of online calculators to work out what returns you're due etc so it's always best to know......

It's actually quite frightening the amount of lads in shops you'll see asking what a 'Rule 4' even means. I understand not everyone knows the nuances of betting but you shouldn't really be betting without a grasp of the basics.

With regards to bets after the off, if you think there's a doubt as to whether a bet is on in time, it's always best to ask the cashier if it's ok when you place the bet. It is sharp practice in some (probably most) bookies to keep the bets that have been made void; though in the odd case you will see cashiers telling regulars that their bet was late and refunding their money.

If you don't know it seems like a fairly reasonable question to ask. I would consider myself quite a novice when it comes to placing a bet. I placed one yesterday on Ayr and can't for the life of me figure out why a Rule 4 applied to my winnings. I have read up on it but still don't see how it should have applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭The Rooster

If you don't know it seems like a fairly reasonable question to ask. I would consider myself quite a novice when it comes to placing a bet. I placed one yesterday on Ayr and can't for the life of me figure out why a Rule 4 applied to my winnings. I have read up on it but still don't see how it should have applied.
    Well put it up and someone will explain it to you. I’d a 75% reduction in the last at Bangor! I bet at 13/2 and he won at 10/11, but I think the two favs were both NRs, so my lad went from 3rd fav to hot fav. So given everyone who bet on the two favs got their money back, it’s only fair I suppose that I had to take a big reduction.

There were quite a few NRs in the Scot GN, resulted in a 10% deduction to most bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Well put it up and someone will explain it to you. I’d a 75% reduction in the last at Bangor! I bet at 13/2 and he won at 10/11, but I think the two favs were both NRs, so my lad went from 3rd fav to hot fav. So given everyone who bet on the two favs got their money back, it’s only fair I suppose that I had to take a big reduction.

There were quite a few NRs in the Scot GN, resulted in a 10% deduction to most bets.

Mind if I PM you?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PhuckHugh2

Find it absolutely baffling that the same lads who cry about bad rides and crooked trainers are also complaining about bent bookies and crooked staff in bookmakers and the likes.
    Yet continue to have a bet. Why in the name of god would one continue to try and beat something they cant possibly beat? Is it that lads have a gambling problem or is it that people are just angry and think that everything is against them?

Humans make mistakes. Do your homework before going in. Talk to the staff in a friendly manner and explain if there is an issue. Nothing to be gained from having a shouting match over a few euro when it is most likely just a miscalculation or miscount.

You will find people are much more inclined to help you if you talk to them with a bit of class and respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

PhuckHugh2 wrote: »
    Find it absolutely baffling that the same lads who cry about bad rides and crooked trainers are also complaining about bent bookies and crooked staff in bookmakers and the likes.
    Yet continue to have a bet. Why in the name of god would one continue to try and beat something they cant possibly beat? Is it that lads have a gambling problem or is it that people are just angry and think that everything is against them?

Humans make mistakes. Do your homework before going in. Talk to the staff in a friendly manner and explain if there is an issue. Nothing to be gained from having a shouting match over a few euro when it is most likely just a miscalculation or miscount.

You will find people are much more inclined to help you if you talk to them with a bit of class and respect.
    So if the guy behind the counter does you out of money, and it does happen, you just suck it up! No wonder they try it on when there are customers there that accept that sort of carry on.

So if the guy behind the counter does you out of money, and it does happen, you just suck it up! No wonder they try it on when there are customers there that accept that sort of carry on.

Did you even read my comment fully?

Did you even read my comment fully?
    I did and saw that you are the only one here talking about shouting and roaring in the bookies and that all the times customers are left short it is really just a 'mistake ' on the clerks part.

I did and saw that you are the only one here talking about shouting and roaring in the bookies and that all the times customers are left short it is really just a 'mistake ' on the clerks part.

Well tbh i have seen it first hand on more than a few occasions but that's another story.

Whether it is a mistake or not is besides the point tbh.
    Give people the benefit of the doubt unless there is sufficient evidence of someone pulling the piss and if you think that is the case then you should be lodging a complaint with the manager or bookmaker to protect others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Must be a great life being a cashier in a betting shop, minimum wage, terrible hours, treated like crap by your employers and accused of thieving by customers on a daily basis

• Advertisement

Well tbh i have seen it first hand on more than a few occasions but that's another story.

Whether it is a mistake or not is besides the point tbh.
    Give people the benefit of the doubt unless there is sufficient evidence of someone pulling the piss and if you think that is the case then you should be lodging a complaint with the manager or bookmaker to protect others.

I will add that the first point i make above relates to people abusing shop staff and not seeing anyone stealing. In case that was not clear.

Must be a great life being a cashier in a betting shop, minimum wage, terrible hours, treated like crap by your employers and accused of thieving by customers on a daily basis
    Having the ability to grunt instead of saying thanks and looking miserable is essential in getting the job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

When using Boyles online I have noticed on a few occasions that if I have a treble or so on the go and all are winning one selection will be "suspended" in the cash out section. Thus stopping me from cashing out

If I go into that particular bgame in play betting is open. There is no reason for the suspension. It stops me from cashing out.

Mickey mouse company

Having the ability to grunt instead of saying thanks and looking miserable is essential in getting the job.
    Must be something about you Dan, that they all treat you like this and/or try to rob you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Blueshoe wrote: »
    When using Boyles online I have noticed on a few occasions that if I have a treble or so on the go and all are winning one selection will be "suspended" in the cash out section. Thus stopping me from cashing out

If I go into that particular bgame in play betting is open. There is no reason for the suspension. It stops me from cashing out.

Mickey mouse company

If only there were other firms you could bet with.

Not my experience at all over the years. Exchanges are very brief but a quick hello, how are you getting on, goes a long way.

People are people no matter what job they work in.

When I hear people making blanket statements like this I often think of the old saying "If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Felexicon wrote: »
    If only there were other firms you could bet with.

There are and I will be.
    Hardly the point though is it

Must be something about you Dan, that they all treat you like this and/or try to rob you

You might have something there alright, OTOH,maybe I'm wide enough to spot when someone is robbing me unlike the others who go in all smiles and act almost eejity because the man behind the counter is going to give them some money!

You might have something there alright, OTOH,maybe I'm wide enough to spot when someone is robbing me unlike the others who go in all smiles and act almost eejity because the man behind the counter is going to give them some money!

I dont think anyone on here advised anyone to bend over and take it up the arse from a bookie.

Not accusing people of being thieves for something that is 95% certain to be a calculation or human error and showing a bit of respect (by asking them can they check it again or that they explain the payout) can go a long way in life. You should try it Dan.

Because it is obviously a binary choice between being a smiling eejit and taking whatever you are given or suspecting anyone/everyone of being on the take :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Bookies make errors, its common enough

I backed Defi for the JLT in late January
    Plain as day, wrote the date of the race, name of the race and the price at the time, 10/1
    Defi wins, I go to the bookie which is not in the town i placed the bet
    Girl behind the counter looks all confused, tells me there is a delay in paying as its ante post.....
    I think she thought i was a once a year lad who would go away
    She said come back in half an hour....place was mental so i said, right
    came back an hour later, same sh*te......
    At this stage she brings up the fact the bet was placed in another county so that's causing a delay etc etc....she is making this up as she goes along, and I know it, and she KNEW i knew it

I tell them ring the shop the bet was placed in, she said it will make no difference and to come back the following day!!!
    I ask to speak to a manager......long story short, when the bet was placed, despite JLT written on the docket, the bet was put on the Arkle......
    Now, it was a computer error, i get that, but the girl behind the counter just kept lying to me hoping i would go away......

Thats not on when it comes to people winning money if you ask me

Blueshoe wrote: »
    There are and I will be.
    Hardly the point though is it

Of course that's the point.

You don't like how one company operates. Use a different one.

I can see that a few of you on here don't know any bookies and have certainly never had a chat with them. They will tell you that the biggest problem they have is finding trustworthy staff. With so many mugs coming in to them afraid or unable to figure out what's due to them on a multiple it's a goldmine for a rogue clerk.

Bookies make errors, its common enough

I backed Defi for the JLT in late January
    Plain as day, wrote the date of the race, name of the race and the price at the time, 10/1
    Defi wins, I go to the bookie which is not in the town i placed the bet
    Girl behind the counter looks all confused, tells me there is a delay in paying as its ante post.....
    I think she thought i was a once a year lad who would go away
    She said come back in half an hour....place was mental so i said, right
    came back an hour later, same sh*te......
    At this stage she brings up the fact the bet was placed in another county so that's causing a delay etc etc....she is making this up as she goes along, and I know it, and she KNEW i knew it

I tell them ring the shop the bet was placed in, she said it will make no difference and to come back the following day!!!
    I ask to speak to a manager......long story short, when the bet was placed, despite JLT written on the docket, the bet was put on the Arkle......
    Now, it was a computer error, i get that, but the girl behind the counter just kept lying to me hoping i would go away......

Thats not on when it comes to people winning money if you ask me
    Bet put in for wrong race on system, staff in other shop cannot rectify it and probably not sure whay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Bet put in for wrong race on system, staff in other shop cannot rectify it and probably not sure whay

They did rectify it once i got them to ring the shop i placed the bet in
    My issue wasnt with the error, i said that in my post, my issue was the girl in the shop taking me for a fool trying to fob me off instead of just saying "i am not sure what the issue is, let me ask my manager" instead i got, "its cos its ante post" "come back in half an hour" "come back tomorrow"
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

I might send a CV into a betting shop would be a great job taking a few quid of the mug punters and pocketing it

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

I would say at a very minimum, 50% of my winning bets with Boyles are settled incorrectly. By far the worst. Not sure if incompetence or tactics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

RIALTO1 wrote: »
    I would say at a very minimum, 50% of my winning bets with Boyles are settled incorrectly. By far the worst. Not sure if incompetence or tactics.

I am sure if you go to page 5 of their employee handbook you will see the " skimping " section. I think it is here that employees are encouraged to disgruntle customers by ripping them off. I think sections 3 and 4 itemise preferred methods of ripping off clients and section 5 details lame and made up excuses. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

They did rectify it once i got them to ring the shop i placed the bet in
    My issue wasnt with the error, i said that in my post, my issue was the girl in the shop taking me for a fool trying to fob me off instead of just saying "i am not sure what the issue is, let me ask my manager" instead i got, "its cos its ante post" "come back in half an hour" "come back tomorrow"
    :mad:
    If it was during Cheltenham I would say they were probably busy and they cannot easily fix the issue of bet being entered/settled incorrectly from another shop. If there are any complications with anything like this in a betting shop during a busy day like Cheltenham or Grand National it won't get fixed instantly in my experience, I would normally just come back when it is less busy. Not like they were intentionally trying to steal money from you.

• Advertisement

I have been betting in shops for a long time and I very rarely have any issues with bets being settled wrong anyway, maybe I am just lucky.

Advertisement