Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music acts you just can't get into

• 04-04-2019 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Who are some artists you have given a go listening to, but just can't get into their music try as you might?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Interpol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,195 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Arcade Fire

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Queen: I appreciate the brilliance of a lot of their songs but at some level I don't care about them.

The National: They bore the arse off me.

Iron Maiden: I grew up listening to rock and metal and yet I could never find Maiden anything but cheese on toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Deagol

Anything post-2000. Getting old or music has just turned to crap I don't know but haven't found anything i can get into for almost 20 years now :(

What makes me wonder if it's not an age thing is that I found lots of older music I've never heard before that interested me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Im a bit hit and miss with The Who. I know technically they are a great band and I love some of their stuff but I hated The Tommy album and could not get into it at all so much so that I'm reminded of it every time I hear them.

Sorry but I was just quickly googling them there and this came up and made me laugh..Rodger Daltrey is like the mam of the band in this pic :pac: he actually does look great for his age now though!

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+who&oq=the+who&aqs=chrome..69i57.2160j0j9&client=ms-android-h3g-ie-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=8rnGor8_r7slnM:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭bobsman

The National and Interpol.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Can’t stand U2, or Coldplay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Pixie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Erik Shun

Bob Dylan.... Christ I tried.... but I listened to "nuyuum, neeeah, woohah" and thought.. nope..not for me

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

The Beatles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Springsteen.
    I know he's a legend to some but to me he's bellowing overrated rubbish, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

The Eagles are a bit meh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Pretty much any of the 'next big Irish bands' of the last few years. Walking on Cars and Picture This just immediately come to mind but there are plenty more. I just find it such epically generic sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Modern hip hop. A lot of it leaves me cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Mauricio Mysterious Tea

- LCD Soundsystem: it's noise, just tortuous noise.
    - The Chainsmokers: Every rubbish track seem to have an annoying pulsating wavetone, creating slight abdominal sickness.
    - Polyphonic spree: No idea what the story is here, too many spacecakes?
    - Pink Floyd: Sorry to many, but would class this as stoner music, bar just a couple of good tunes.

Most of the above are ok, esp Arcade Fire who are, very good.
    Yes, if the 'The National' was a painting, it would be edvard munch's scream (in mono blockprint).

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Teepinaw

Pixies, Sonic Youth, Bob Dylan.

Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

A few mentions for The National and Interpol. Are they making some kind of resurgence that I’m not aware of? Were they ever that big/regarded to begin with? I have the first album from each, they’re OK, decent additions to a playlist but I wouldn’t be in too much of a hurry to buy tickets.

Anyway, I’ll throw the likes of Neil Young, David Bowie and Muse into the mix as a few off the top of my head

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Hozier
    I'm sure he's a nice person but his music is so bland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

theteal wrote: »
    A few mentions for The National and Interpol. Are they making some kind of resurgence that I’m not aware of? Were they ever that big/regarded to begin with? I have the first album from each, they’re OK, decent additions to a playlist but I wouldn’t be in too much of a hurry to buy tickets.
    The National have been quite popular in Ireland for well over a decade now. Playing the likes of 3Arena and Live at the Marquee. Their albums are usually well-received by both fans and critics.
    Interpol are not as popular now as they were in the mid-00's.

They're two bands with very different career outcomes. Interpol came storming out of the blocks in 2002 with a critically-acclaimed album, Turn on the Bright Lights, but then spent the rest of their career trying and failing to live up it it.
    The National on the other hand started with a very average debut album, their self-titled, but then improved and grew with each release, building up a fan-base along the way.

I like The National but I've never grown to like Interpol. Even though Turn on the Bright Lights is hailed as a 00's indie rock classic, any attempt to get into it has left me feeling underwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Agree with the shouts about The National,don’t understand the hype,seen them twice live, just bang average for me,while Matt Berninger has a decent baritone voice,he ain’t no Stuart Staples,that’s for sure!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

The Verve. Mogwai. Portishead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

A few mentioned already - The Stones, Bob Dylan, Springsteen. That said there is at least one song from each that I like.

Sticking to well regarded acts Van Morrison is someone who's music I just cant stand.

Being into metal, I never really liked Metallica. Loved the other 3 of the big 4, even Anthrax :p, but just couldn't really get into them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Thin Lizzy and Alter Bridge are bands that I should love in theory, but they just leave me cold, Hozier is a clearly talented man, but I find his music unrelentingly dull, most controversial one from me Led Zeppelin, I don't get it at all :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Leonard Cohen & Tom Waits their popularity baffles me

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

I don't get the hype over recent bands like Idles and Fontaines DC, find them irritating to be honest. Iron Maiden are a band I've listened to a few times over the years and can't get into them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Big Tom...the carrots from cloonoun song did nothing for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Glen Hansard and the Frames, I just find it all an emotional whinge really, just can't get into it at all.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Anything in the charts right now...I can't remember the last time I listened to a new song I wanted on my iPod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Spiritualized
    I've given Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space a few goes but never really latched on to it. I really like Jason Pierce‎'s first band Spacemen 3, but this just seems too safe in comparison.

Manic Street Preachers
    I mean I like some of their songs, particularly from the Richey era, but I've never genuinely liked any of albums as a whole. James' vocals and vowel-mangling also annoy me to a degree.

Neutral Milk Hotel
    I'm one of those people who can't wrap my head around why this band is held in such high regard. I do like lo-fi indie, but there are so many better lo-fi indie bands to listen to than these guys - Pavement, Guided by Voices, Modest Mouse, The Microphones, and Eric's Trip among others. NMH seem very run-of-the-mill in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

So many heathens gathered in one place....

;)

Advertisement