Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Single Axle or Double Axle

• 02-04-2019 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hello All,
    Im looking to purchase a caravan for a bit of touring around Ireland with my wife and children with the intention of staying in camping parks.
    I have heard some people say, not to purchase twin axle vans as they are not allowed in certain parks.
    Is there any truth in this or just hearsay?

I intend to contact the parks directly in the coming weeks to confirm but i would like to hear from caravan owners directly with their thoughts and experience's with pros and cons of both.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

Can't give any advice as regards single or twin axle. Can say that i have a single axle and it is light, easy to move around and has plenty of space for the 5 in our family. I did notice that the double axle horse box i towed for my test felt a lot more stable behind my van than the single axle caravan. The caravan doesn't ever feel wrong, just the horse box sat much steadier behind it. Less bouncing after speed ramps etc.

We have a triple bunk caravan so a bed for each of the kids made up permanently. a double axle would probably add in another kitchen unit for storage and maybe a separate shower also (ours in part of the bathroom wet room).

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭PhilipJ

Hi oinkely, Thanks for the feedback.
    Interestingly enough, I have received the following from one of the caravan parks so far. I wont include their details at present.
    As im only at the research stage im not sure what the safety aspect is, but im glad i have reached out to find out.

Hi Philip,

We would only allow single axle caravans for safety reasons, from a size point of view.
    If you would like anymore information or have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I don't know how safety comes into it, more likely they don't want twin axle 'vans "scrubbing" their grass surfaces when turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

PhilipJ wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, I have received the following from one of the caravan parks so far. I wont include their details at present.
    As im only at the research stage im not sure what the safety aspect is, but im glad i have reached out to find out.

Hi Philip,

We would only allow single axle caravans for safety reasons, from a size point of view.
    If you would like anymore information or have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us.

That comment doesn't make sense. There are many twin axle caravans out there which are actually shorter many single axle ones

Modern tyre and axle technology combined with lighter weight construction have meant that a single axle can support caravans up to 7 meters long, and that's not including the A frame.

niloc1951 wrote: »
    That comment doesn't make sense. There are many twin axle caravans out there which are actually shorter many single axle ones

Modern tyre and axle technology combined with lighter weight construction have meant that a single axle can support caravans up to 7 meters long, and that's not including the A frame.

Case-in point, I found a twin axle that is lighter than most single axle with an MTPLM of 1310 kg - 6 birth, A layout that suits my needs.

On another note, I received an email from another park stating that they do accept twin axles....

I would hope that all the holiday parks make it public that they do or will not accept twin axles on their website or upon booking to prevent embarrassment to a Family who lands at the front desk only to be turned away... Id hate to think foreign tourists been turned away for having a twin axle..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

OK, elephant in the room......

Travellers have big twin axle hobby vans towed by transit vans.

there are a fair few sites that advertise "no commercial vehicles" but I've never seen anywhere turn away a holidaymaker with a twin.

we've had twin and single vans and the twin is a LOT more stable. you'll barely feel a big lorry overtaking where as a single will rock a little more.

I haven't noticed any manual handling issues as I learned to drive a tractor aged 6 and have been towing and reversing trailers for over 40 years, so I never manually move it anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

PhilipJ wrote: »

Hi Philip,

Too many travellers booking on line,emailing hotels holiday homes campsites these days. Either call the sites,drop into them or just show up.
    The owners are covering themselves with replies like this one,cant say I blame them. I have never heard in many many years of a twin axle touring van being refused entry to a site.

Too many travellers booking on line,emailing hotels holiday homes campsites these days. Either call the sites,drop into them or just show up.
    The owners are covering themselves with replies like this one,cant say I blame them. I have never heard in many many years of a twin axle touring van being refused entry to a site.

Ok, thanks for feedback, it makes sense and i can see their point of view...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

oinkely wrote: »
    Can't give any advice as regards single or twin axle. Can say that i have a single axle and it is light, easy to move around and has plenty of space for the 5 in our family. I did notice that the double axle horse box i towed for my test felt a lot more stable behind my van than the single axle caravan. The caravan doesn't ever feel wrong, just the horse box sat much steadier behind it. Less bouncing after speed ramps etc.

We have a triple bunk caravan so a bed for each of the kids made up permanently. a double axle would probably add in another kitchen unit for storage and maybe a separate shower also (ours in part of the bathroom wet room).

Theses a difference in the suspension in the caravan and a horse box that’s why it felt different. The overall dimensions are very different too.

I think someone above hit the nail on the head, the twin axle rule, particularly on the continent seems to be aimed at the gypsy community and keeping them off sites. I think regular holidaymakers would be accommodated.

Advertisement