Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭monty_python

<snip>
    Mod: This is not relevant to this thread..use the off topic discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,436 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dana likely to meet Conor in a few weeks face to face to make a deal. No shares but he said they'll work something out. So, there you go, Conor's never fighting in the UFC again.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/4/1/18291226/dana-white-doesnt-believe-conor-mcgregor-is-retired

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Dana likely to meet Conor in a few weeks face to face to make a deal. No shares but he said they'll work something out. So, there you go, Conor's never fighting in the UFC again.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/4/1/18291226/dana-white-doesnt-believe-conor-mcgregor-is-retired

Sure in the tweet you posted the other day about the record for the KO he said "I demand it corrected before anymore talks commence." Not exactly the words of a retired man.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,436 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Axwell wrote: »
    Sure in the tweet you posted the other day about the record for the KO he said "I demand it corrected before anymore talks commence." Not exactly the words of a retired man.

Ha, imagine if that's one of the conditions he signs a contract, gets the ko time changed to 12 seconds :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Ha, imagine if that's one of the conditions he signs a contract, gets the ko time changed to 12 seconds :pac:

Wouldn't even surprise me in the slightest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's happened before.

https://www.mmamania.com/2012/1/7/2683038/fastest-knockout-in-ufc-duane-ludwig-jonathan-goulet-6-seconds-mma

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Axwell wrote: »

Sounds like a retired person just trying to amuse themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Conor has asked Khabib for rematch again in his latest tweet.
    I can see this fight happening in September or whenever Khabib is back. In fact, the only way this fight doesn’t happen is if Khabib refuses it as punishment to Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I can see this fight happening in September or whenever Khabib is back. In fact, the only way this fight doesn’t happen is if Khabib refuses it as punishment to Conor.

Might he have been aiming that at Paulie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

He'll fight who The UFC tells him to.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

To be honest, I'm not surprised he wants to run Khabib back immediately. Consensus view seems to be he's otherwise busy with whiskey/ wealth/ fame etc, but I suspect no other fight would really pique his interest at this point. I'd wager it's naive to think that the loss is doing anything other than eating away at him.

If he eventually takes a Diaz/ Cowboy or similar, it will be for the sake of activity and with a view to rematching Khabib in optimum condition. For better or worse, he'll be looking past any other match-ups.

Whether above is wise or outcome will vary, who's to say...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

<Snip>

Mod:Post this sort of stuff in the off topic thread, thats what it is there for...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

To be honest, I'm not surprised he wants to run Khabib back immediately. Consensus view seems to be he's otherwise busy with whiskey/ wealth/ fame etc, but I suspect no other fight would really pique his interest at this point. I'd wager it's naive to think that the loss is doing anything other than eating away at him.

If he eventually takes a Diaz/ Cowboy or similar, it will be for the sake of activity and with a view to rematching Khabib in optimum condition. For better or worse, he'll be looking past any other match-ups.

Whether above is wise or outcome will vary, who's to say...

He has to get some other fights in before he faces Khabib again, both for his sake and the not ****ing over the rest of the division.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

He has to get some other fights in before he faces Khabib again, both for his sake and the not ****ing over the rest of the division.
    This.

Plus, there's a good few decent fights for him.
    Holloway
    Poirer
    Cowboy
    Lee
    Iaquinta, maybe.

He's no shortage of good fights to pick from.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,329 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Conor has asked Khabib for rematch again in his latest tweet. I can see this fight happening in September or whenever Khabib is back. In fact, the only way this fight doesn’t happen is if Khabib refuses it as punishment to Conor.
    Well if he refuses Conor then he should have to face Ferguson and I think he loses to Ferguson.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Holloway
    Poirer
    Cowboy
    Lee
    Iaquinta, maybe.

None of those give him the same money, and they would diminish his chances of a fight and big payday with Khabib, should he lose to any of them.

Money is his main motivating factor. Winning fights is second to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

<snip>

Keep it to the off topic thread. Only so many times people are going to be told..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Khabibs latest tweet. Deffo a fight coming

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭creeper1

Ok. UFC just got interesting again.

Imagine how boring it would be if Conor retires!

I hope he won’t be forced to say “it’s only business “ again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭The Rooster

As expected, the "retirement" tweet was not serious:

New tweet:

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/1113605086599614465

I want to move forward, with my fans of all faiths and all backgrounds.
    All faiths challenge us to be our best selves.
    It is one world and one for all ❤️
    Now see you in the Octagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I don't think anyone that is into MMA actually believed that tweet anyway.
    When most of us read it, I imagine the first thought was "He's angling for a fight"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Conor vs Ferguson winner gets the title fight loser fights Cowboy/Holloway/insert on the title fight card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭The Rooster

When most of us read it, I imagine the first thought was "He's angling for a fight"

Yep, last time he tweeted it, I was 100% sure he was messing and just angling for a fight/more money.

This time I was 95% sure, just a small niggle that his personal issues might make him genuinely have thoughts about retirement. But there's still too much money he'd be leaving on the table for him to seriously contemplate retirement.

Anyway, it's good that he's put it to bed, but still there are plenty of numpties going on about how he's retired twice, and I'm sure it'll be mentioned countless more times.

Fact of the matter is he has actually retired 0 times and thus he's never needed to come out of retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭creeper1

He’s like the boy who cried wolf. When he really does retire nobody will give it any credence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

creeper1 wrote: »
    He’s like the boy who cried wolf. When he really does retire nobody will give it any credence.

Maybe he will never retire and still be talking trash and fighting into his 80s!!

creeper1 wrote: »

Except when he does retire people will know if it's true or not.
    When he announced his recent retirement no one believed it, not even the rags that printed/posted it. They were just happy to have something new from Conor to be going on about.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

When he does retire, there will be a proper event with sponsorship, fanfare, bunting and jugglers.

It won't be a tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

This is it. But he just looks an eejit now to those who don't follow it closely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lordlame

He has paulie on his Instagram story

Advertisement