Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Ferguson needs to fight for the title next, never mind anyone else.
    Then Conor can get a look in at someone

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Ferguson needs to fight for the title next, never mind anyone else.
    Then Conor can get a look in at someone
    I'm not a fan of guys sitting out, but at this point I think it's absolutely the right call for Tony.im not sure if he wants a 6 month lay off though. Can see him looking for a September fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of guys sitting out, but at this point I think it's absolutely the right call for Tony.im not sure if he wants a 6 month lay off though. Can see him looking for a September fight.

An interim title fight between Ferguson and Conor is September would make sense, if Conor is recovered from his injury. Headline in Vegas, 5 rounds, 2 vs 3 and the prize is the interim belt and a shot at the champ next. I’m sure Ferguson will agree but will Conor??

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

In the presser the other day did Khabib not say that he has 3 fights to cement his legacy, Porier, Ferguson and GSP and that Conor was not on his radar.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    In the presser the other day did Khabib not say that he has 3 fights to cement his legacy, Porier, Ferguson and GSP and that Conor was not on his radar.

Yep but if Conor was to beat Ferguson then surely that would rule out Tony and Khabib would accept another Conor fight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The next fight for Khabib will be Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

An interim title fight between Ferguson and Conor is September would make sense, if Conor is recovered from his injury. Headline in Vegas, 5 rounds, 2 vs 3 and the prize is the interim belt and a shot at the champ next. I’m sure Ferguson will agree but will Conor??

How on earth would that make any sense at all?

Tony is on a 12 fight win streak and has already held an interim title. He needs to be next for Khabib/Porier.

Anything else would be an absolute joke.

Conor hasn't won an MMA fight since 2016.

I'm a hug fan of McGregor and the spectacle he brings, but this division has been on hold because of the drama for too long.

D.Q wrote: »
    How on earth would that make any sense at all?

Tony is on a 12 fight win streak and has already held an interim title. He needs to be next for Khabib/Porier.

Conor hasn't won an MMA fight since 2016.

I'm a hug fan of McGregor and the spectacle he brings, but this division has been on hold because of the drama for too long.

It makes sense for the ufc and the fighters. Why wait till end of year for 1 huge fight, when you have the potential for that end of year to be a far bigger fight (if Conor beats Tony) and an earlier massive ppv in September between Tony vs Conor. Abu Dhabi won’t even sell that many ppv.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Why would Conor be on his radar, he's already beat him.

El Cucey has to be the fight to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

I think it's apparent now that, even amongst the less than hardcore fan base, the desire to see Conor compete for the title anytime soon is notably diminished. Of course, amongst most fans this is only right and meritocratic, but I'd wager now his stock is the lowest it's been in some time.

Yes, he's obviously by some distance still the money fight, but have a gander at Youtube comments or any other way of taking a quick inventory of consensus opinion, and it's now largely accepted by many that he should earn a shot.

For the UFC, they'll have to make a call on whether he can ultimately do bigger numbers beating a contender and then fighting for the title, or going in against the winner of 242. I suspect the former, but obviously a gamble should he lose...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

In the presser the other day did Khabib not say that Conor was not on his radar.

Just a negotiating tactic. He's probably number 4 on his radar.
    GSP isn't coming back for Khabib.

An interim title fight between Ferguson and Conor is September would make sense,

I probably accept interim titles more than the average whinging MMA fan. I don't mind interim totkesvwheg the champ is unavailable. But honestly that makes no sense. At all.
    Khabib is fighting in September, what credibke reason is there to award a temp belt?

D.Q wrote: »

Khabib isn't fighting until September. If Tony wants to fight, he can fight. New Year's Eve isn't for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Tony v Gatjhe is a good fight, that's what Khabib thinks Tony should do too. McGregor is irrelevant, Khabib won't fight him unless he deserve this with win streak.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Literally every fan of the sport wants to see Khabib/Tony. Even Khabib wants Khabib/Tony and Tony looks the most likely to beat Khabib.

Doff wrote: »
    Literally every fan of the sport wants to see Khabib/Tony. Even Khabib wants Khabib/Tony and Tony looks the most likely to beat Khabib.

Nope, Tony gets too close, Khabib does a take down, pins against fence and pummels.

It's what Khabib does and will always do and will always win by doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nope, Tony gets too close, Khabib does a take down, pins against fence and pummels.

It's what Khabib does and will always do and will always win by doing.

Tony is a very good wrestler. It's not like Khabib will easily take him down or keep him down. He's a 10P BJJ Black Belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I probably accept interim titles more than the average whinging MMA fan. I don't mind interim totkesvwheg the champ is unavailable. But honestly that makes no sense. At all.
    Khabib is fighting in September, what credibke reason is there to award a temp be.

So UFC can justify him main eventing a PPV. It's still weak but not as weak as nothing on the line.

McGregor won't fight co main and UFC can't have a non title fight as main event.

rob316 wrote: »
    So UFC can justify him main eventing a PPV. It's still weak but not as weak as nothing on the line.

McGregor won't fight co main and UFC can't have a non title fight as main event.

Exactly. And it doesn’t even need to be for an interim as long as it’s a 5 rounds headliner and billed as a title shot elimination. If Tonybis as good as everyone is saying this will be his time to prove it. I think he will accept the fight no problem, main challenge will be getting Conor to agree.

rob316 wrote: »

The UFC don't need to justify having Conor as main event. He's the most in-demand fighter of all time. The can have a non-title main event if hey want.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The UFC don't need to justify having Conor as main event. He's the most in-demand fighter of all time. The can have a non-title main event if hey want.

He's gone dude

• Advertisement

He's gone dude
    He may well be. But that's nothing to do with making up fake titles for PPVs.
    Reading comprehension FTW.

He's the most in-demand fighter of all time. The can have a non-title main event if hey want.

His best days are behind him though. He had a few good years and now he's done.
    He'll probably come back for a few fights, and I'll watch, but it'll probably be disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Effects wrote: »
    He'll probably come back for a few fights, and I'll watch, but it'll probably be disappointing.

How can you get that from the Khabib fight.

How can you get that from the Khabib fight.

It's not based on the Khabib fight. It's based on everything after the fight with Eddie.

It's not based on the Khabib fight. It's based on everything after the fight with Eddie.

I think a few months of clean living and hard training he can get back to near his best. He should be able to fight to high level into his mid 30s. He seemed to be back training hard before his injury. Unfortunately super stardom has brought too many distractions to him and he doesn’t seem to be able to handle it well (ignoring the obvious business/financial gains he knows how to make).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I think a few months of clean living and hard training he can get back to near his best. He should be able to fight to high level into his mid 30s. He seemed to be back training hard before his injury. Unfortunately super stardom has brought too many distractions to him and he doesn’t seem to be able to handle it well (ignoring the obvious business/financial gains he knows how to make).

Won’t Happen.

He’s out tonight with a cigar hanging from his mouth and looks to be enjoying himself.

His days are numbered but I always said enjoy the ride cause it won’t happen ever again.

And so I did:)

Again, they could well be.
    But if he decides to fight, he can easily top a PPV and it probably sells more than any other fight this year.
    I've no idea why people are buying into this whole Main event has to be a title nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Again, they could well be.

I've no idea why people are buying into this whole Main event has to be a title nonsense.

Because that has literally been the UFC's operating procedure since before WME/IMG bought the company from the mob.

They've literally canceled PPV event's because they couldn't secure a title match for a main event on numbered cards.

Because that has literally been the UFC's operating procedure since before WME/IMG bought the company from the mob.

They've literally canceled PPV event's because they couldn't secure a title match for a main event on numbered cards.
    There's a difference between a policy and a rule.
    The UFC are free to break that trend, if they want, as you well know.
    There was no title fight on UFC202. Or on UFC 206.

They may decide to create a BS interim. They done worse. But let's not drink the kool-aid abd start believing HAVE to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

In retrospect, it's a damn shame RDA got injured. It was downhill from there.

Advertisement