Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

County Anthems

• 11-03-2019 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

We were shooting the breeze in the pub the other night, and we got to discussing what well known music/song might be used when the All-Ireland final was over. You know how they might play or sing Molly Malone when the Dubs win, or Slievenamon when Tipperary win the hurling. We had a few gaps, so can anyone here fill them in. We came up with the following list of county ''anthems'':

Dublin : Molly Malone / Dublin can be heaven.
    Wicklow: Among the Wicklow hills.
    Wexford: Boolavogue /The boys of Wexford.
    Cork : The banks of my own lovely Lee
    Kerry : The rose of Tralee
    Limerick : Limerick, you're a lady / There is an Isle (is this a Rugby only song??)
    Clare: Spancil Hill / Lisdoonvarna
    Galway : The West's awake / Galway Bay / Galway Girl
    Donegal : The homes of Donegal
    Derry: The Londonderry Air / The town I loved so well.
    Antrim : The green glens of Antrim
    Armagh : In the county of Armagh (not sure of the exact name)
    Down : The mountains of Mourne
    Leitrim : Lovely Leitrim
    Cavan : My Cavan girl
    Westmeath: The Westmeath batchelor
    Carlow: Follow me up to Carlow.
    Kilkenny: The Rose of Mooncoin
    Tipperary: Slievenamon
    Kildare : The Curragh of Kildare

That leaves eleven that we could come up with nothing for -- Offaly, Louth, Waterford, Monaghan, Tyrone,Roscommon, Longford, Sligo , Mayo, Meath, Laois.
    Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Come on you boys in <colour>,
    to the tune of 'Those were the days...'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I am from county Derry but the rural areas don't have much of a connection to the city so Derry Air isn't suitable. O'Neills march is what i view as a personal anthem of mine or else one of the songs about Lough Neagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

The Green and Red of Mayo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfbECCadKfQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Poor ould Fermanagh. It doesn't have a song, nor is it a county any more :( :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Carlow: Follow me up to Carlow.

Bit of trivia about this one is that it's not actually about anywhere or anything in modern-day Carlow at all.

It's about events surrounding the Battle of Glenmalure, which took place in 1580. Glenmalure was indeed in County Carlow at the time, because the county of Wicklow hadn't actually been established yet. But it was designated part of Wicklow when Wicklow came into being in 1606, and it's stayed there ever since.

It should probably be regarded as a Wicklow song instead.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My lovely rose of Clare was popular in the 90s for Clare and would probably be the normal "go-to" Clare song for matches and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭patmahe

Offaly has the Offaly Rover

Mayo - Green and Red of Mayo by Sawdoctors?

Advertisement