Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upgrading cctv cameras

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Just keep getting "this page cannot be displayed".

Did you do it from the top search bar? So you delete all over text in the bar and input the ip address of the camera. So all you should have is 192.168.254.2 that ip address is just an example so you might have a different one.

Actually my bad what you will have to do first is go to network properties on your laptop and set to obtain ip adress manually. Change the range to the range of your cameras.

What operating system have you on the laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

alta stare wrote: »
    Actually my bad what you will have to do first is go to network properties on your laptop and set to obtain ip adress manually. Change the range to the range of your cameras.

What operating system have you on the laptop?

Can't remember, I'll check when I'm home again.

Testing now underway again. A load of duct tape and I've mounted the cameras temporarily where they should be going.

Shots from last night are confusing. I've tried to steer the cameras away from the side of the building and from the sky, and while the pictures are a lot better than when they were sky high, they're not as good as the previous night.

1 - Old camera
    476345.jpg

2 - New camera, pointed too high
    476420.jpg

3 - New camera, mid level
    476422.jpg

4 - New camera low down, no sky
    476421.jpg

The confusing thing is that in the middle picture, with still a fair bit of sky above the horizon, the picture quality is slightly better than in the most recent shot, with no sky at all. I would have expected the most recent one to be better, not worse.

That said, the quality in the middle picture proves that the camera is capable of that quality, once the positioning etc are perfected.

1 - Old camera
    476345.jpg

2 - New camera, pointed too high
    476420.jpg

3 - New camera, mid level
    476422.jpg

4 - New camera low down, no sky
    476421.jpg

The confusing thing is that in the middle picture, with still a fair bit of sky above the horizon, the picture quality is slightly better than in the most recent shot, with no sky at all. I would have expected the most recent one to be better, not worse.

That said, the quality in the middle picture proves that the camera is capable of that quality, once the positioning etc are perfected.

Yeah if they are setup correctly you will have a good system. As i have said if they were anyway poor even for a domestic setting i would never install them. They are a good system for the money. They need some tweaking to get the best out of them.

I've been emailing the seller and he is frustrating the hell out of me.

In the previous shots he said the camera was too high and the IRs were pointing into the sky, and also that the camera was taking in too much of the building and getting glare as a result.

So I've adjusted down to avoid the sky, left to clear more of the building, but yet the picture is now worse than yesterday.

His explanation - that's because yesterday's angle could see more.

Huh? How can the picture be better because it has more to see? Wouldn't that make it worse as there is more to cover?

• Advertisement

I've been emailing the seller and he is frustrating the hell out of me.

In the previous shots he said the camera was too high and the IRs were pointing into the sky, and also that the camera was taking in too much of the building and getting glare as a result.

So I've adjusted down to avoid the sky, left to clear more of the building, but yet the picture is now worse than yesterday.

His explanation - that's because yesterday's angle could see more.

Huh? How can the picture be better because it has more to see? Wouldn't that make it worse as there is more to cover?

The joys of a self install. Set the cameras up so they aint looking into space and keep them away from your walls. Set up all you can on the recorder. Log into each camera individually and adjust image settings from there. You should see a difference. If you dont you either have settings out somewhere, your cables are poor quality, you tv cant show the images as sharp as it should or you were unlucky and got a sh!t batch.

Either way i know from experience that the HiWatch is good stuff. I am in the position to have a valid opinion as i install the professional gear from the same company. The HiWatch gear is bacisally the 7200/7300 range of hikvision recorders. Reboxed and rebadged.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭doctorg

Hi folks, what is the best quality system one can get with a pre-existing BNC cabling ?

doctorg wrote: »
    Hi folks, what is the best quality system one can get with a pre-existing BNC cabling ?

As in what brand of recorder?

As in what brand of recorder?

Yea, if there are any DVR/Camera's you would recommend which support BNC cables. I saw Amcrest 4K cameras that had really good quality but can't seem to find them in Ireland

Yea, if there are any DVR/Camera's you would recommend which support BNC cables. I saw Amcrest 4K cameras that had really good quality but can't seem to find them in Ireland

Any DVR will.

Hikvision
    HiWatch
    Icrealtime
    Dahua
    American Dynamics
    Gigamedia

Those are just a few which spring to mind.

Loads out there.

• Advertisement

Well I've decided to keep the kit. It will need a bit of fine tuning on position etc and no doubt I'll be back for advice on FPS etc and a possible storage upgrade. Not to mention the network and app settings...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

Is there a CCTV camera that can be got that will send me a text or notification when a person passes a particular virtual boundary?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

kala85 wrote: »
    Is there a CCTV camera that can be got that will send me a text or notification when a person passes a particular virtual boundary?

My wireless Arlo system does that. Text and email.

But I'm sure most of the good CCTV set-ups offer it as well.

Will all newer CCTV systems work on a older BNC Cable installation or should I look for specific types ?

Will all newer CCTV systems work on a older BNC Cable installation or should I look for specific types ?

That's a loaded question. What do you mean by older bnc cable installation?

Are you specifically referring to just the cables or are you including the recorder in that too?

Is it an old recorder and you want to put new cameras on it?

That's a loaded question. What do you mean by older bnc cable installation?

Are you specifically referring to just the cables or are you including the recorder in that too?

Is it an old recorder and you want to put new cameras on it?

Had a system installed a long time back that used BNC to transmit the video. Looking to only reuse this cabling. I want to get a full new kit with DVR and Cameras

Had a system installed a long time back that used BNC to transmit the video. Looking to only reuse this cabling. I want to get a full new kit with DVR and Cameras

Yeah it will work alright. BNC terminations is still used.

Finally hooked up the new system. Mixed results. I now have 5 cameras and they're fine in the daytime, but night results are very washed out and white. Early days, last night was the first night.

I know that's often caused by glare but I've aimed well out from the wall, soffit etc. And I'm actually getting a worse result now than when I had the cameras duct taped into place!

Only difference is that the cameras are now connected via the cat5 cables from the old system whereas when I had them duct taped in place for testing I was using the ones that came with the system. I've swapped out one of the old cables for a new one and I'll check tonight if that has any impact on the quality.

This is my fuzzy glarey night vision...

478385.jpg

Ignore the vertical lines here, taking pictures of the screen isn't ideal.
    478386.jpg

And an old shot from the previous test on this same camera. Much better quality without the white out.
    476421.jpg

Everything just looks like there is a thick fog, which there wasn't.

Any suggestions? I know there is a little glare on the front camera (with the car) from wall and soffit but I've adjusted that so I'll see how it goes tonight. But in the one of the side of the house and fence there shouldn't be much glare. Same in the garage shot.

Anything I can fine tune in the settings?

Advertisement