Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice: Paint Colors

• 03-03-2019 9:29pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

All
    Young lads communion coming up so time to freshen a jaded hall.
    Lots of noted pine, which I'm v reluctant to paint over (mainly as I spent the weeks sanding and varnishing!) as that will just be a very slow job, but I may have to do it eventually.

So I am looking at some suggestions, I've a couple ideas like a cream/white on the landing up the stairs but maybe going with a grey or something on the wall on the right.
    The sun comes in 2 very large veluxs (4ft * 2ft) and in the front door onto the wall on the stairs.

Open to suggestions totally :)

Also what do people think it might cost to get someone to do that job? I painted the whole house myself when I built it and did all the second fixing, floors etc, but I'm time limited :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

yop wrote: »
    All
    Young lads communion coming up so time to freshen a jaded hall.
    Lots of noted pine, which I'm v reluctant to paint over (mainly as I spent the weeks sanding and varnishing!) as that will just be a very slow job, but I may have to do it eventually.

So I am looking at some suggestions, I've a couple ideas like a cream/white on the landing up the stairs but maybe going with a grey or something on the wall on the right.
    The sun comes in 2 very large veluxs (4ft * 2ft) and in the front door onto the wall on the stairs.

Open to suggestions totally :)

Also what do people think it might cost to get someone to do that job? I painted the whole house myself when I built it and did all the second fixing, floors etc, but I'm time limited :)

My go to for anywhere that gets a bit of sun is farrow & ball: Light Grey walls (estate emulsion) and New White woodwork (eggshell finish).

You need 'cool' walls to balance that 'hot' floor. You could leave some wood: front door, stairs handrail.

The pine needs to go though. If it were old wood you might do just the architraves/skirting in New White .. but that knotty pine just looks cheap (sorry)

Oh, and don't fall into the trap of F&B copy. They aren't that same as the real thing. Per sq m covered, even expensive paint is cheap.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

My go to for anywhere that gets a bit of sun is farrow & ball: Light Grey walls (estate emulsion) and New White woodwork (eggshell finish).

You need 'cool' walls to balance that 'hot' floor. You could leave some wood: front door, stairs handrail.

The pine needs to go though. If it were old wood you might do just the architraves/skirting in New White .. but that knotty pine just looks cheap (sorry)

Oh, and don't fall into the trap of F&B copy. They aren't that same as the real thing. Per sq m covered, even expensive paint is cheap.

Appreciate the feedback. Your a painter or an I&D professional?
    Wow that is expensive!! Stupid question, but why the more expensive paint?

I was looking at some visualizer here (https://www.colourtrend.ie/colour-visualiser/)
    I had picked up Stirrup Steel for the walls downstairs and then for the walls on the landing and upstairs which gets all the light going with French White, but I am guessing your saying the light gray for all walls both up and downstairs?

Ah, so kill the doors, architrave and skirting. In reality though thats both sides of all the doors which will then kick onto all door all over the house as each door in the hall and landing leads to each room of the house.
    There is a fair amount of prep doing them doors though I'd say, thats egg shell varnish on all that.
    The stairs is another kettle of fish!

Appreciate the feedback. Your a painter or an I&D professional?
    Wow that is expensive!! Stupid question, but why the more expensive paint?

Let's say I'm someone who makes far more money from using f&b than f&b costs.

Although it costs more (and is perceived as snobbish) it a) gives much more back than cheaper copies b) is a fraction of the cost of other finishes (tiles, wood flooring, carpet)
    I was looking at some visualizer here (https://www.colourtrend.ie/colour-visualiser/)
    I had picked up Stirrup Steel for the walls downstairs and then for the walls on the landing and upstairs which gets all the light going with French White, but I am guessing your saying the light gray for all walls both up and downstairs?

The light grey works in good and poor light situations. It also comes into its own in artificial light. CT isnt bad but like I say, the cost per sqm of F&B is tiny. And its better
    Ah, so kill the doors, architrave and skirting. In reality though thats both sides of all the doors which will then kick onto all door all over the house as each door in the hall and landing leads to each room of the house.
    There is a fair amount of prep doing them doors though I'd say, thats egg shell varnish on all that.
    The stairs is another kettle of fish!

I wouldn't see the need to do inside the doors, just door face and edges.

You'd end up with a classy look - something that can't be achieved with knotty pine. Maybe try just skirts and architraves to start?

Might be worth trying ESP instead of sanding. With dark wood, you're looking at 2-3 undercoat to kill the dark and 2 top. Ouch!

That stirrup steel strikes me as a bit cold - just like all the staged new builds. The Light Grey is a good deal warmer. Leaning towards green and earth it works well with the wood to give overall warmth. You son't want to end up antiseptic and icy.

(I've written elsewhere in this int des forum recently on the technicality of why expensive paint)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

+1 on the copies, two of our rooms were done in the "identical" colortrend copy, and there's a big difference to the real sample I use to touch up, most noticeably when it's bright, there is a serious lack of depth to the copy (luckily one room is being renovated at the moment, so will be painted afresh). Also, not everyone will notice it, as we all perceive colour differently, so for some it's fine and for others it'll be horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Trudiha

F&B is lovely and the texture is different from other paints, even colour matched ones. However, it’s not suitable for anyone with kids or pets, the first time you go st it with a damp cloth, it goes all shiny looking and you can always see where it’s been touched up.

Little Greene (Intelligent Matt) and Dulux (Easycare) both make washable paints in lovely colours. Save the F&B for the short gap between your childer leaving home and your grandchildren arriving.

BTW Dulux’ Colour of The Year is Spiced Honey, if you can style it out for a bit, your hall is about to become fashionable again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I think you need to decide how much of the pine you are willing to cover. There’s a lot of it in the floor, all components of the staircase, architraves and doors. If you are keeping most of the pine then I think with the low natural light levels that you cannot go for a deep or rich wall colour. The yellowness and pervasiveness of the pine is such that you should avoid anything with even the slightest hint of yellow.

I would go for an off white and also look to paint the bannister spindles and the staircase kickboards. This will break up the acres of pine without that much effort. When you have time you can then decide what you want longer term - whether to do a good job or architraves, skirting board and doors.

Personally I think if you are going to have that floor, the skirting boards need to be in a contrasting colour longer term. If you get to the point of having white painted doors and associated joinery, I think you could go for a lovely green like a Lichen.

Trudiha wrote: »
    F&B is lovely and the texture is different from other paints, even colour matched ones. However, it’s not suitable for anyone with kids or pets, the first time you go st it with a damp cloth, it goes all shiny looking and you can always see where it’s been touched up.

Can be resolved with F&B modern emulsion finish. The estate emulsion matt is nicer but yes, works less with kids

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

All really appreciate all the pointers here.

Paint:
    F&B gives better coverage per sq m, but is expensive. Is that correct? So I'd need to buy less buckets.
    Put on one single color downstairs and up, don't use 2 different colors on the walls.
    Light Grey walls (estate emulsion) or a light color (off white)
    Spiced Honey looks lovely, but would it not clash with the pine and darken the house?
    White ceiling.

Pine:
    So in summary, either now in the the future I need to get rid of it all. Or wait another 15 years for it to cycle back! :)
    Or do it in stages. So I could do the skirting & architraves in a white or off white and see how that works with the paint.
    Maybe do the kickers on the stairs with the spindles and banisters.
    But eventually do the doors also.

Sorry I am still head scratching on the "copies". Are you saying that you can get copies of F&B which aren't as good, and then when you touch up with that copy the color isnt' consistent?
    Do proper painters put on with a roller or brush? I have watched many of those I&D shows on TV and you see some lads using brushes to paint the walls!

F&B gives better coverage per sq m, but is expensive. Is that correct? So I'd need to buy less buckets.

Any of the topline paints are pricey. The trouble with the mid range (let's suppose a ColourTrend copy of the F&B colour) won't give you the same effect.

The colour can be similar with copy but other qualities of the paint (eg how it works in artificial/low light situations won't be the same)

Put on one single color downstairs and up, don't use 2 different colors on the walls.

You can combine but need some kind of delineation. A mate has F&B London Stone downstairs and Pink Ground (which has stone understones) upstairs and it works.

A single colour is easier (and probably cheaper - you'll have less leftover) and the Light Grey goes with just about everything.

Light Grey walls (estate emulsion) or a light color (off white)

Spiced Honey looks lovely, but would it not clash with the pine and darken the house?
    White ceiling.

If Light Grey (modern emulsion, which has a little bit of sheen and is wipeable) finish if you've young kids), I'd go New White estate emulsion on the ceilings. Domestic Appliance White is too stark.

Eggshell for the woodwork deffo, after covering the pine with undercoat.

So I could do the skirting & architraves in a white or off white and see how that works with the paint.
    Maybe do the kickers on the stairs with the spindles and banisters.
    But eventually do the doors also.

The pine door/white architrave works well (I've got it. although the pine is old, unknotted). I'd certtainly give leaving the doors pine a whirl though. You can always come back to it.
    Sorry I am still head scratching on the "copies". Are you saying that you can get copies of F&B which aren't as good, and then when you touch up with that copy the color isnt' consistent?
    Do proper painters put on with a roller or brush? I have watched many of those I&D shows on TV and you see some lads using brushes to paint the walls!

Copies don't have the subtle effects (which are additional to just the basic colour). Also the copy might not even get the colour right. I had to add 2.5 litres of plain white to a 5 ltr tin of a ColourTrend copy of F&B New White to turn what was deep peach into the correct colour. 2.5 litres into 5?!! I was trying to see if I could cut costs on something less risky like a ceiling .. and that went pear (or peach) shaped. Now I wouldn't bother

Sometimes you gotta take a leap of faith and it actually doesn't cost a lot. Try the F&B out. I'm pretty sure you'll end up converting your house :)

Thanks all
    Gonna do with the walls and skirting and architrave and see what damage I can do! :)
    Light Grey & eggshell skirting/arch & new white estate on the ceiling.

• Advertisement

Thanks all
    Gonna do with the walls and skirting and architrave and see what damage I can do! :)
    Light Grey & eggshell skirting/arch & new white estate on the ceiling.

Go for it.

One thing I found was having to leave the undercoat to dry well, before starting with the topcoat - espec since I had to do 2-3 coats of undercoat to bury pine colour.

If you find the eggshell seems to be drying too quick and turning to sludge on the surface, its the undercoat dissolving. Leave the undercoat a couple of days before top coating

Go for it.

One thing I found was having to leave the undercoat to dry well, before starting with the topcoat - espec since I had to do 2-3 coats of undercoat to bury pine colour.

If you find the eggshell seems to be drying too quick and turning to sludge on the surface, its the undercoat dissolving. Leave the undercoat a couple of days before top coating

Thanks for that. Ill have to do 2 undercoats on it I'd say? I can do an undercoat, then to a wall or 2. Walls will need 2 coats.
    It will take me a good few weeks to complete it, painting the skirting will be a pain in the head itself :), with work, travel and kids! :)

Thanks for that. Ill have to do 2 undercoats on it I'd say? I can do an undercoat, then to a wall or 2. Walls will need 2 coats.
    It will take me a good few weeks to complete it, painting the skirting will be a pain in the head itself :), with work, travel and kids! :)

Some tips if applicable for you:

Paint the skirting first, letting the paint run up the wall a 1/2 inch. You cut the wall down to the skirting. But yeah, get a first coat on the wall along the way

Paint ceiling 2nd. And not peach like I did. You dont want ceiling splashing onto 2nd wall coat

Big fluffy roller for walls - a step shy of max fluff /exterior. You get more texture in finish but you dont see it in use ... and its fast. Generous first cost, worked 2nd coat.

Ensure undercoat kills the pine. Water based paints (f&b new white included) don' t cover as well as the old paints. Eggshell won't kill pine streaks showing through undercoat .. and undercoat is cheap!

Masking on floor - your going to be doing 5 coats in all so it will pay back the time spent laying it. Don't lash the paint on thick at the skirting / tape meeting point, keep the brush perpindicular to the skirting at all times .. and you won't leak paint under the skirting and when the tape off ... sharp!

Take some before and after photos. If you do convert to F&B you can look back and wonder how you did without it in your dotage.

Again, eggshell is a beautiful finish but it’s delicate, it will show every scuff and isn’t easy to wash. You won’t get the same flat matt finish with satin but it might last until your kids aren’t kicking a ball around indoors.

ZINSSER BULLS EYE 1-2-3 PRIMER-SEALER, (the blue one) is the best primer for sealing knots in wood, it’s usually cheapest from Screwfix but you might be more of a shop local person.

Our local paint shop has 20% off F&B ATM, I don’t suppose you’re in West Cork..?

Trudiha wrote: »
    Again, eggshell is a beautiful finish but it’s delicate, it will show every scuff and isn’t easy to wash. You won’t get the same flat matt finish with satin but it might last until your kids aren’t kicking a ball around indoors.

ZINSSER BULLS EYE 1-2-3 PRIMER-SEALER, (the blue one) is the best primer for sealing knots in wood, it’s usually cheapest from Screwfix but you might be more of a shop local person.

Our local paint shop has 20% off F&B ATM, I don’t suppose you’re in West Cork..?

Is that painted on before the undercoat? And put on every bit of skirting and undercoat?
    I can certainly buy that online.

I'm in Mayo. Thats a serious reduction!! Would they courier to me! !:)
    Is that Pat McDonnel Paints? They are in Galway beside me at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

!-2-3 will not hold back knotting. You need a shellac based primer for that. Zinsser B.I.N. or Fleetwood Terminator ( cheaper but better)

The wood looks like it's varnished. Won't that hold back the knots?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Ya supposedly, though I've never chanced it. I've heard a few horror stories of lads spraying staircases and the tannins coming up through.

https://i.ibb.co/jvHQjCs/IMG-8467.jpg

Light Grey walls in estate emulsion / New White ceiling / New White eggshell woodwork with pine floor. Gives an idea of where you're headed. The cool walls and hot floor balance each other out.

If your existing paint is anything like mine was then it will take 3 coats of F&B estate emulsion to cover it properly.

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    If your existing paint is anything like mine was then it will take 3 coats of F&B estate emulsion to cover it properly.

Its like a student house!!! Its actually embarrassing how bad it is! :o

The skirting, arch and door all got 2-3 coats.
    The stairs I gave 7 coats on the steps and 2-3 on the handrails etc.

So will that sealer work with the varnish and knots?

Its like a student house!!! Its actually embarrassing how bad it is! :o

The skirting, arch and door all got 2-3 coats.
    The stairs I gave 7 coats on the steps and 2-3 on the handrails etc.

So will that sealer work with the varnish and knots?

Didn't mean the quality of it but the F&B paint is purely waterbased. It think there was likely some vinyl in the paint already on the walls to make it washable. The F&B pant almost beaded on top of it and took three coats to cover properly.

Don't want to be side-tracking the thread here or anything, but I painted my hall/stairs/landing with Colourtrend's Silver Moonlight. It was expensive (I got 10 litres to do the job).

That was about a year ago. Much more recently, I got the shop to knock up a Dulux colour match of the same colour. You genuinely wouldn't tell the difference, and it was literally half the price.

Make of that what you will. Although I wouldn't say the cheapest and most expensive paints are all the same, I do think I'd have a hard time paying over the odds for particular brand names again.

Also, just to add, although someone commented earlier about your knotty wood looking cheap, I actually like it! I think it's a very warm and inviting look, especially on rural/detached/cottagey or country houses (which judging by the size of your hall, I'm guessing yours is something along those lines). :)

That said, I do dislike your choice of door handle :P

So I managed to get it done!
    Put in big shifts on Friday night until 12am and then a solid 15 hour shift yesterday :)
    Points to note, a dear brush and roller makes life SO much easier.
    Dear paint doesn't drip and rolls and cover so much better.
    I managed to cut in without any taping at all.

The color is REALLY good and the white mix with the doors I am happy with.
    2 under coats and 3 top coats on the skirting and architrave.

More Pics

That looks fantastic, well done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It has transformed the place, very nice work yop.

So I managed to get it done!
    Put in big shifts on Friday night until 12am and then a solid 15 hour shift yesterday :)
    Points to note, a dear brush and roller makes life SO much easier.
    Dear paint doesn't drip and rolls and cover so much better.
    I managed to cut in without any taping at all.

The color is REALLY good and the white mix with the doors I am happy with.
    2 under coats and 3 top coats on the skirting and architrave.

Looks great. The basic combo of warm grey / white wood / wood is a no-brainer combo, like basil and tomato.

Did you F&B in the end? I've a mild suspicion that you went white (rather than new white) on the wood. Could be the photo lighting but you might confirm

:D

• Advertisement

Looks great. The basic combo of warm grey / white wood / wood is a no-brainer combo, like basil and tomato.

Did you F&B in the end? I've a mild suspicion that you went white (rather than new white) on the wood. Could be the photo lighting but you might confirm

:D

I did indeed go F&B. And the difference is very noticable in coverage, usability and texture. Oh and the cost! :) 160 a tin in Albany. BUT it has taken 2 coats, 10 litres. I have final cut in at the ceilings as I am not happy with that line, though 9/10 wouldn't even notice and I have to take down the alarm sensors to get behind correctly.
    I went with the white indeed. The difference in the old "White gloss" glubby, bright, sticky finish is gas.

I genuinely wouldn't have chosen the colors or to do the skirting/arch so sending all a virtual pint/coffee for the advice.

I'm still toying with doing the risers on the stairs ;)

Advertisement