Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 Masters

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Exactly. Ronnie's first-round opponent in the UK was saying that he hoped he could get some time off work so that he could practice for the match. These players come in, predictably get obliterated 6-0 or 6-1 by one of the better players, get no prize money, and are out of pocket for costs. That's the reality of being a low-ranked pro.

Hearn's spin on this is that he's giving the unknown players a chance to break through by pitting them against the big names. But you can't break through if you're working to support yourself and thus don't have the time to improve your game.

That’s hearns capitalist mentality coming through, no money for first round defeats as in “losers get nothing.” I think there was one poor sap a couple of years ago who drew top 5 players nearly the whole season and failed to win a match. So easy to get locked into a cycle of defeat and struggle to get out of it. Still think 128 players is too much for the tour, it can’t sustain it quite yet l.

Really disappointing from Kyren today, not the first time pre match hype fails to deliver. Interval should at least help him gather his thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It was always thus. Only top 50 could hope to make any sort of living solely from snooker, and even then you need exhibitions etc. Don't see this changing.

50th in world usually makes around the 60k mark annually. Sounds ok but take expenses out and what’s left? Can you afford a coach, driver etc? Exhibitions are a good outlet alright if you have a bit of drawing power. I suppose it’s still better than stacking shelves for a living but, like anything, can get on top of you when it becomes a grind. I’d guess depression would be an issue for a few guys on tour.

Shocker!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Wilson at least managing to avoid the whitewash.

And that's it. Trump goes through 6-2. Minor fightback by Wilson to take two frames, but that match was nowhere near as close as I thought it would be.

Hendry being a little bit critical, should have been done a lot quicker. That’s the ruthless take on it I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Hendry being a little bit critical, should have been done a lot quicker. That’s the ruthless take on it I guess

Hes right though? Everyone wants to see Trump being more ruthless. He has all the talent in the world.

The Nal wrote: »
    Hes right though? Everyone wants to see Trump being more ruthless. He has all the talent in the world.

Yeah I think so. Trump did play well but started to get scrappy at 5-0 which, as Hendry said, took a little bit of a shine off it. If that had gone 5-3 it could have got very interesting

• Advertisement

Nervy first frame there, but it's Maguire who pinches it. Questionable shots by Selby on the last red and the brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭tinpib

Incredible double from Maguire there on the opening red in 4th frame, very unlucky to not be on a balk colour.

What a yellow by Maguire!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

What a yellow by Maguire!

Shot of the tournament

Easy enough for Selby in the end as he wraps up a 6-2 win.

First two quarterfinals are tomorrow:

1pm: Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Ryan Day

7pm: Ding Junhui vs Luca Brecel

Not been a great first round it has to be said. Brecel-Allen the only real quality, hard fought match. Day-Higgins was close but poor quality. Hope for better starting tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Not been a great first round it has to be said. Brecel-Allen the only real quality, hard fought match. Day-Higgins was close but poor quality. Hope for better starting tomorrow.

I don't know it hasn't been that bad. I though Ronnies performance was underrated where the match got off to a very slow start. I loved the last frame where he came back to clinch it on a re-spot black.

Trump and Selby played very well. Trump a more measured game and Selby playing with a bit of spark which we haven't seen from him in a while.

Murphy was terrible. I though his cue action was all over the place. He was playing with a very strange exaggerated feathering of the ball, with a huge backswing. He really needs to look at that imo. As a basic principle which helped me in potting better is to line up the shot first, then start feathering, he didn't seem to be doing that at all. Williams is a great example of someone who visibly lines up the shot before feathering.

Incidentally, someone on YouTube has been posting full matches not long after they have been completed. Currently watching the Williams vs Robetrson match which I didn't see.

This could be a massacre

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't know it hasn't been that bad. I though Ronnies performance was underrated where the match got off to a very slow start. I loved the last frame where he came back to clinch it on a re-spot black.

Trump and Selby played very well. Trump a more measured game and Selby playing with a bit of spark which we haven't seen from him in a while.

Murphy was terrible. I though his cue action was all over the place. He was playing with a very strange exaggerated feathering of the ball, with a huge backswing. He really needs to look at that imo. As a basic principle which helped me in potting better is to line up the shot first, then start feathering, he didn't seem to be doing that at all. Williams is a great example of someone who visibly lines up the shot before feathering.

Incidentally, someone on YouTube has been posting full matches not long after they have been completed. Currently watching the Williams vs Robetrson match which I didn't see.

The bbc say it’s been great too so who am I to argue ;-)

Day injection on his shoulder I think, not sure how much of a factor that might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Fecking Eurosport are still showing the tennis!

• Advertisement

Ryan "Unforced error" Day.

The difference in the BBC and Eurosport studios is gas. Beeb with a big window overlooking the auditorium and table and Eurosport look like they're shoved into some cloakroom.

Early impressions ronnie doesn’t seem too interested in safety exchanges today, try and get quick bloodless execution if he can. Day gonna give him plenty of help missing balls like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Looking at replays of 'kicks' is the same as me looking at baby sonograms. I can't see anything!

Has to be 2-1 day if he’s any pretensions of an upset. Ronnie not quite in clinical mode so far.

Scrappy enough so far.

Edit. Very easy in the end. C game from Ronnie.

Day not going for that brown at 3-4 was unforgivable, completely bottled out of the correct shot. Should have been 4-4 but instead it was virtual game over. Thought Ronnie looked a slight bit vulnerable today.

Ding and Brecel on the red button now, with Davis and Virgo commentating. Brecel leads 1-0.

Good match this, with breaks of 60+ in every frame. It's 2-2 at the midsession interval.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Good match this, with breaks of 60+ in every frame. It's 2-2 at the midsession interval.

Yeah it’s enjoyable stuff, and they’re certainly not hanging around either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Looking at replays of 'kicks' is the same as me looking at baby sonograms. I can't see anything!

Been watching long enough now to notice them as they occur before being called by a commentator. You can hear it as well. They sound more high pitched clicky than usual. Either the cue ball jumps, the object ball jumps or both jump. The player usually jumps up as well, in disgust !

Advertisement