Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

So jump off at Castleknock and back on at Clonsilla!?!
    Timeframe wise what would I be looking at on a road bike on 28's to say Enfield?
    From reading here it looks like about 90mins from Enfield to hill of down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

koutoubia wrote: »
    So jump off at Castleknock and back on at Clonsilla!?!
    Timeframe wise what would I be looking at on a road bike on 28's to say Enfield?
    From reading here it looks like about 90mins from Enfield to hill of down.

No, you don't need to go as far as Clonsilla. The St Mochtas crossing to Clonsilla is all gravel track and is fine. So it's the from Castleknock station to St Mochtas crossing bit that's the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

After last time through the Deep Sinking, I swore I'd never do it again until it's properly surfaced, but fatigue and time pressure sucked me into it again yesterday. I'm on a hybrid with 35mm tyres. It was dry yesterday so probably decent conditions, but I got there about 7pm and there were a lot of walkers on it around that time. Not an issue as such, just it is very narrow in places. I don't know the area, so what's the best route to avoid the Deep Sinking?
    As an aside, I got the 6.55am train to Longford, arrived around 9am, cycled the Longford branch of the canal and up to Tarmonbarry to see the Shannon and have a coffee and muffin. Returned to Clondara and left there around 11am to do the entire Royal Canal back to Dublin.
    Other than regular snack and drink breaks, I stopped in Mullingar for lunch. There were more cyclists on the greenway than I have seen in the past, which is great to see. It's just such an easy route to do for all levels of cyclist. Loads of towns along the way to stop in, if required.
    For information, I'm slow and steady, average about 18kmh, so it was a long day out for me. I have done the canal in sections before, and this is the second time to do the entire length in one go.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cycled on road from Leixlip to Maynooth on Sunday and from there along the canal to Mullingar before doing the same route home.
    The road bike's 25 tyres were fine on the grit surfaces but there was a noticeable speed reduction.
    I'd been meaning to do that route for a while and glad now that I did. Lovely weather and it was nice to be away from traffic (although I was blared out of it by a driver on my way home for not using the new cycle path opposite Tesco Maynooth :rolleyes:)

I'll do the other sections at some point.

https://strava.app.link/K0qEOuSOi8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

CapnHex wrote: »
    After last time through the Deep Sinking, I swore I'd never do it again until it's properly surfaced, but fatigue and time pressure sucked me into it again yesterday. I'm on a hybrid with 35mm tyres. It was dry yesterday so probably decent conditions, but I got there about 7pm and there were a lot of walkers on it around that time. Not an issue as such, just it is very narrow in places. I don't know the area, so what's the best route to avoid the Deep Sinking?

You can go as far as Coolmine station and take a right when you reach the main road (Coolmine Rd) that you would be crossing in order to enter the Deep Sinking. Continue up to the top of that road into you reach a T junction with traffic lights. You're at the Clonsilla road. Take a left and continue up Clonsilla Road for about 2.5km or so until you reach Clonsilla train station. You can get back on to the canal there and continue on your journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭knockoutned

Deep sinking is between Castleknock station and Coolmine station, so to avoid it heading back into town when you arrive at Coolmine Road (Coolmine Train station), you need to turn left away from the train crossing. At the first cross roads, turn right onto Delwood Road and cycle to the end (Tesco will be on your left). Turn right here and follow the road around to the the T junction with Castleknock Road. Here you have two options:

Turn right, and cycle up the bridge and at the apex get off the bike and walk down the steps to the path heading for the 12th lock.

Turn left then immediately right into the cul de sac. You'll see a lane way on the left which brings to you out at the old Navan Road. Turn right here and cycle up to the 12th lock and back onto the canal path.

You can also go around by Carpenterstown and Laurel Lodge, but the above is the most direct route.

If you want to avoid the section between Coolmine and Clonilla, the route Brock outlines is the best way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd have said deep sinking goes from just past the 12th lock to about porters town. Maybe 3-4 km.

From bridge after 12th lock, I'd take a right, and left at lights through Roselawn. Another left immediately before the Tesco and keep going til you hit the lights. Right there. Then keep going to the next lights and you're on Clonsilla road. Take a left onto this and at some point you can turn off to Porters town and rejoin canal on the opposite bank of the deep sinking and at a far nicer level/surface.

If you miss it, you can get back at on at Clonsilla train station and a bit further beyond the station too.

I got caught out today thinking it ended at coolmine and I was on a brand new bike.

It's maybe a 5 min extra

Cycled Broombridge to Kilcock today. Great day for it. Dusty though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Soon one will hopefully be able to cycle all the way from Dublin along the Royal Canal and holiday at Centre Parcs.

http://www.longfordcoco.ie/longfordcoco/services/regeneration/outdoor-recreational-infrastructure-scheme/newcastle-woods-to-the-royal-canal-greenway.html

'This walk represents a significant piece of infrastructure in the delivery of a high quality, off-road network of trails throughout County Longford. It links the Newcastle Woods and the recently opened White Bridge and Center Parcs with the Royal Canal Greenway. This piece of work will allow users to travel from Dublin along the Greenway and into Center Parcs. This will increase the attractiveness of Longford and the wider Hidden Heartlands as a destination of choice for holiday makers.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Family transport available, about half the price of the cheapest Dacia on the market. You can even order it with a roof.

2-rider_4-wheel-bike-with-four-seats.jpg?crc=180608961

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

KevRossi wrote: »
    Family transport available, about half the price of the cheapest Dacia on the market. You can even order it with a roof.

2-rider_4-wheel-bike-with-four-seats.jpg?crc=180608961
    Its better looking than a Dacia and presumably will last a lot longer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

What’s this like after dark between Cross Guns and Maynooth, anyone know? Do you get the antisocial behaviour you get along the Grand Canal?

How would a hybrid with 35mm slick tyres fare on the deep sinking? I’d do that bit on the daylight leg, if I’m doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Breezer wrote: »
    What’s this like after dark between Cross Guns and Maynooth, anyone know? Do you get the antisocial behaviour you get along the Grand Canal?

How would a hybrid with 35mm slick tyres fare on the deep sinking? I’d do that bit on the daylight leg, if I’m doing it.

I'd be very wary between Cross Guns and the new bridge at Ashtown (big green one) after dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Tyres are not the problem in the Deep Sinking, it's the narrowness, roots, rocks, holes and height that freaks me out. Take it slowly and don't take your eyes off the surface to admire the scenery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I've done it in my non suspension MTB with narrow high pressure slicks, 80psi, and also on a folding bike with narrow slicks 65psi and I can recommend neither as being enjoyable. Doable but why bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

buffalo wrote: »
    I'd be very wary between Cross Guns and the new bridge at Ashtown (big green one) after dark.

I'd cycle and walk that stretch a lot but rarely after dark. Does it really get that bad? The older lads having a few cans are grand to chat to but, again, that would be during the day.

I've very little experience on it, and it was a few years back, so perhaps no longer representative of what its like now.

When I was going that way latest I was on was dusk and it wasn't really late or getting dark.
    There were long stretches where I met no one, but surprising that you would meet runners, walkers, I was expecting almost no one.
    I went a different way when dark. But I would also do the same in town and in the phoenix park, I would go a busier route.
    Once it got dark or late a lot of these routes are very isolated.

A lot more housing on it now. Maybe its busier.

beauf wrote: »
    I've very little experience on it, and it was a few years back, so perhaps no longer representative of what its like now.

When I was going that way latest I was on was dusk and it wasn't really late or getting dark.
    There were long stretches where I met no one, but surprising that you would meet runners, walkers, I was expecting almost no one.
    I went a different way when dark. But I would also do the same in town and in the phoenix park, I would go a busier route.
    Once it got dark or late a lot of these routes are very isolated.

A lot more housing on it now. Maybe its busier.

A section of it was an absolute kip before the Broombridge Luas was built, that I do know. Are you talking that far back?

I've never had issues at either of them to be honest. I find it's mostly lads drinking their cans or whatever and nearly embarrased to have to move sometimes.

I think it's improved as Ashtown has been developed.

There's a contraflow cycle and bus lane going in at one of the older bridges too by the way. The one before Broombridge possibly, or maybe it's just after.

I was living there until very recently. That stretch was a bit crap at night. The lads at the locks drinking cans are fine, but sometimes there's younger lads there out for trouble.

Since lockdown it's been really busy along there and there have been no reports of assaults or similar, so hopefully that's an end to it.

The contra flow cycle route is going in on Broombridge bridge along with some other modifications.

Actually having said that. I know of someone who was attacked around broombridge a few months ago on a scooter. This was at arse oclock in the morning.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Actually having said that. I know of someone who was attacked around broombridge a few months ago on a scooter. This was at arse oclock in the morning.

Thanks all. I shall avoid the deep slinking, not least because it’s pissing rain, and will avoid the canal generally at arse o’clock. The N4 should be quiet enough at that time anyway I suspect.

Thanks all. I shall avoid the deep slinking, not least because it’s pissing rain, and will avoid the canal generally at arse o’clock. The N4 should be quiet enough at that time anyway I suspect.

Deep Sinking is 1.75 Km long, can be walked in less than 20 mins. If you're nervous about the Broombridge section, then you can join the canal from the N3 if you turn off at the Halfway House Pub. You'll end out at Ashtown train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

I'd cycle and walk that stretch a lot but rarely after dark. Does it really get that bad? The older lads having a few cans are grand to chat to but, again, that would be during the day.

I used to commute along it, and on occasion you'd meet gangs of lads who had stolen a moped or motorbike. One time myself and the missus were coming along with a bright headlight each, and scared them so much they legged it from the underpass as far as Broombridge. As we passed under the bridge we could hear them curse us from above, "it's not the Guards at all". They left behind a moped in the middle of the path which we nearly smacked into.

The kissing gate at the Ashtown end under the new bridge also attracted a gang at times. Never any actual trouble, but intimidating. I haven't lived there in 18 months, so maybe it's better now, but I got into the habit of cutting through the industrial estate if certain conditions were met - like if it was fine weather but dark, or Friday nights, that sort of thing. If it was lashing rain, there was never anyone else out. :D

https://goo.gl/maps/cqJqLCAKirw6jmji8

Well that was an adventure anyway. I took the canal path as far as Coolmine, veered off up Coolmine Road and down Clonsilla Road, and back on. Then took the N4 home after dark. There was a bit of drizzle and puddles along the way, but it wasn’t too mucky.

Verdict: 1) the deep sinking (at least the bit I did) is doable on a hybrid, even kind of fun, but I wouldn’t want to be doing it every day.

2) Lots of gravel between Clonsilla and Maynooth. The hybrid was fine, but it would have been nice to throw myself at it a bit more. I really really want a gravel bike now :D

3) The N4 is a lot quicker, but very boring and I’d imagine horrible with traffic whizzing by during the day.

At long last, the section between the North Strand and Sheriff Street is due to be officially opened tomorrow. Looking forward to trying it out.

At long last, the section between the North Strand and Sheriff Street is due to be officially opened tomorrow. Looking forward to trying it out.

Where did you see that?

beauf wrote: »
    Where did you see that?

The security guy manning the gate/fence yesterday and confirmed on the Dublin Cycling Campaign FB page today.

From KevRossi's post it looks like Pascal has muscled in on what would otherwise be a Green Party gig! Mind you, it is in his constituency.

Ah typical. I commute that way every day but not tomorrow

• Advertisement

I won't be near it either. Like to see a head cam of the route though.

Advertisement