Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

alright after a bit of research from the photos it seems most of the jvc ones are composite in.

Only the sony ones seem rgb and I recognize a couple of 8 inch ones. If that's the case, the "bigger" ones would be 14 or 15 inch at most and I've no need for them so I'll save myself the 5 hours round trip from galway .

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Some of the smaller ones looked to be on a rack. In which case they might be black and white security sony monitors.

Any time I've been looking in to picking up JVC monitors like that they tend to be composite security monitors alright.

9 inch composite is fine (i use a 9 Inch PVM with my Famicom via composite and it looks great!) But the larger monitors would be an issue.

If I was in the market for a broadcast CRT and could get to th location it would definitely be worth checking out. There are so many monitors in that photo that there's a high probability there might be something really nice amongst it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

BGOllie wrote: »
    so ... next beers we'll be comparing sizes then ??

Theres actually a term for this in the German language, (they have a word for everything)

Its Schwanzvergleich. Probably a good idea not to Google it though! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Doge wrote: »
    Theres actually a term for this in the German language, (they have a word for everything)

Its Schwanzvergleich. Probably a good idea not to Google it though! ;)

He's right. Don't google it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

He's right. Don't google it :)

I actually got caught for googling it on a forum run by a German friend, people were bragging about music gear and he said "in Germany we call this Scwanzvergleich. Probably best not to google this word"

:pac:

Fecker didnt make it as obvious I did!

• Advertisement

I went down to that Guy last night to check out what he had. 100 or so monitors, mostly JVC and Benco with composite only, I had a search around for anything with RGB inputs and picked up a nice Sony pvm 20l4 (only big one I could find) a couple of sony 14L4's and few smaller 9" sony pvm's.. Also found some really nice Ikigami TM14-17R's. Think that was it, everything else there was composite only as far as I could tell.

IMAG0236_1.jpg

Guy had a video camera hooked up so all these were tested and displayed colour bars perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭geotrig

Fair play dude , 14 " pvm is the bees ....

Yep big shout out to mozie!!
    Any history to them ?
    must be from one of the TV studios

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Yep big shout out to mozie!!
    Any history to them ?
    must be from one of the TV studios

I'd say they were from the hospital in Mallow.

What would they use them for ?
    scopes and stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

security I would think.
    also some hospitals can run internally controlled tv systems -a lot of TVs have internal hospital and hotel modes (that aren't mentioned in manuals ). some of them could have been used as broadcasting devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭geotrig

I've seen loads of pvm /bvm in hospitals over the years, normally used with scopes type things .....no idea what they are really ! only noticed the monitors :pac:

He said they were from a couple of outdoor broadcast units RTE had in cork, he used to do wedding videos and wanted a few but ended up with the lot. Guy had a 'ballroom of romance' built at the back of his house and had them stored there!! Said he was going through them slowly and seeing what had faults etc but most of them were marked anyways.

whats a ballroom of romance?
    ha ha ha

Hope he didnt touch you up .................

Cant wait to get mine!!
    need to get an RGB lead and BNC adapters for the megadrive.any advice?

Master of the Universe

Woah, what a haul!

Be interested in seeing how those Ikigamis hold up. Interesting lookin things.

whats a ballroom of romance?
    ha ha ha

Hope he didnt touch you up .................

Cant wait to get mine!!
    need to get an RGB lead and BNC adapters for the megadrive.any advice?

Couple of pairs I have came from retrogamingcables.Co.uk, very good quality

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Keep us interested parties in mind, anyway!
    Nice haul, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I'd say they were from the hospital in Mallow.

No way. I've been to that hospital and they've nothing as advanced as a CRT in there.

I've asked him if he finds anymore of either to put them to one side. The ikigami has a beautiful image, I'll try get pics later. Post about them here

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/51ayxn/the_retrostyled_ikegami_tm1417r/

Master of the Universe

I've asked him if he finds anymore of either to put them to one side. The ikigami has a beautiful image, I'll try get pics later. Post about them here

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/51ayxn/the_retrostyled_ikegami_tm1417r/

Did you get a few of them or just the one? Wouldn't mind one myself! :)

• Advertisement

All gone at the moment Iam afraid, if he locates anymore ill let you know.

Couple of pairs I have came from retrogamingcables.Co.uk, very good quality

those prices would make your eyes water :eek:
    I think I'll start with my chipped Ps2
    Try get back into some shumps

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

He said they were from a couple of outdoor broadcast units RTE had in cork, he used to do wedding videos and wanted a few but ended up with the lot. Guy had a 'ballroom of romance' built at the back of his house and had them stored there!! Said he was going through them slowly and seeing what had faults etc but most of them were marked anyways.

There's definitely a joke in there with ballroom of romance and something about the back door. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

All gone at the moment Iam afraid, if he locates anymore ill let you know.

Is there any Rgb monitors left or are they all gone now?!

I think they are all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

those prices would make your eyes water :eek:
    I think I'll start with my chipped Ps2
    Try get back into some shumps

I guess something like this would do the job and then just your regular scart/rgb switchbox plugged into it

I guess something like this would do the job and then just your regular scart/rgb switchbox plugged into it

Yep been looking around and priced making my own but that yoke is prob what I'll end up getting.

Spent a fortune on A&R this month so it'll have to wait.
    also I've to get my PS2 back off my bro

Yep been looking around and priced making my own but that yoke is prob what I'll end up getting.

Spent a fortune on A&R this month so it'll have to wait.
    also I've to get my PS2 back off my bro

That's the ones I have, there excellent albeit expensive. There's some on eBay atm for a couple of euro cheaper and free shipping but can't attest to the quality of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Jasuz how did i miss those monitors

Prob best , i tell myself

• Advertisement

eddhorse wrote: »
    Jasuz how did i miss those monitors

Prob best , i tell myself

Nope they are lovely :D:D:D

Mozie might have another now that bgollie got sorted

Advertisement