Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ring Pro doorbell in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

LG1234 wrote: »
    Have read some reviews and I'm undecided on whether to bite the bullet or wait for a better alternative (preferably one that doesn't charge 3 euro a month to review footage)

Have also seen reports of the picture being very over exposed and the motion sensor not working or only showing as a person is walking away from the front door. How has it been for you guys?

Mine seems to be ok. Have to adjust the sensitivity a bit on it, but I might need to move it as about a third of the area it's supposed to be covering can't be seen because of the return to the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Think im going to go with the Vuebell instead :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B01MSY684E/ref=cm_cr_dp_see_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=recent

Its a good bit cheaper, can record without a subscription and the reviews look good.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

LG1234 wrote:
    Think im going to go with the Vuebell instead :

Poor reviews elsewhere, buy it looks great if it works. Home Depot have it at average 2.9 from 5

Mic and speaker are said to be poor

Please let us know how you get on I'd have a use for this one very good value if it works

Stoner wrote: »
    Poor reviews elsewhere, buy it looks great if it works. Home Depot have it at average 2.9 from 5

Mic and speaker are said to be poor

Please let us know how you get on I'd have a use for this one very good value if it works

Arrived yesterday will set it up over the weekend and let you know what its like

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Thebe

Does anyone know if the camera can be tilted slightly, my driveway is at an angle and if I fit a camera pointing straight ahead from the door I would lose a better view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Thebe wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the camera can be tilted slightly, my driveway is at an angle and if I fit a camera pointing straight ahead from the door I would lose a better view.

you can get them to send to out a wedge kit that might sort your problem. They do take the look off the doorbell somewhat.
    https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/214301906-Wedge-Kits-and-Usage

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Do you need to angle up/down or sideways?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Thebe

Thanks for the replies. I would need it approx 15-20 degrees sideways. I thought the camera lens might be able to swivel slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

Anyone tried this Ring Doorbell Chinese Clone yet:

http://www.banggood.com/Digoo-SB-XYZ-Wireless-Bluetooth-and-WIFI-Smart-Home-HD-Video-DoorBell-Camera-Phone-Ring-p-1116385.html

Considerably cheaper at around €35!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Hi, I'm looking for something similar that I can add recordings to a local Milestone NVR not the cloud. Anyone know if there's such a product available

Edit: just to add it needs to be wireless, I can possibly get power to it over existing doorbell cable

• Advertisement

Arrived yesterday will set it up over the weekend and let you know what its like

I can't figure out how to connect this to my wifi. Won't connect. It only connects through a 2.4ghz connection which i presume is what my Virgin 3.0 hub is?

I can't figure out how to connect this to my wifi. Won't connect. It only connects through a 2.4ghz connection which i presume is what my Virgin 3.0 hub is?

The virgin hub is dual band, it has both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Both networks SSIDs will be named the same. You should login to it and change the 2.4ghz channel. I don't have virgin so can't help you other than that. There are Wi-Fi analyser apps available for smartphones so you can monitor what channels are in use nearby so you can select a channel with least noise.

The virgin hub is dual band, it has both 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Both networks SSIDs will be named the same. You should login to it and change the 2.4ghz channel. I don't have virgin so can't help you other than that. There are Wi-Fi analyser apps available for smartphones so you can monitor what channels are in use nearby so you can select a channel with least noise.

Cheers. Have disabled the 5ghz so its only running 2.4ghz but still no luck, still wont connect.

Cheers. Have disabled the 5ghz so its only running 2.4ghz but still no luck, still wont connect.

Change channel. You'll get much faster speeds on 5ghz, I wouldn't disable it

Change channel. You'll get much faster speeds on 5ghz, I wouldn't disable it

Cheers. Changed the name of the 2.4ghz and 5 ghz channels to ensure it connects to the 2.4ghz. Unfortunately it still wont connect to my network. Have emailed their support to see what might be causing this problem.

Cheers. Changed the name of the 2.4ghz and 5 ghz channels to ensure it connects to the 2.4ghz. Unfortunately it still wont connect to my network. Have emailed their support to see what might be causing this problem.

Changing name does very little. Change the channel by taking the frequency off auto and set it manually

Just an update on this, I didn't manage to get the VueBell connected to my network. To get connected, you download an app, enter your Wifi details and wifi password, the app then produces a QR code which you hold up to the lens of the camera on the bell and its supposed to then connect into your wifi network. However, no matter what I try it wont connect

It only runs on 2.4ghz, so I set my virgin media hub 3.0 to only broadcast in 2.4ghz - didn't work
    Changed the channels on the hub
    Restarted the hub and the bell numerous times
    Ensured its running on latest firmware
    I've disabled MAC filtering
    Reinstalled the App

Anything else I should try before I return it?

Probably going to return the bell for a refund.

Will probably wait for this technology to move on a bit as it seems to be very buggy no matter what bell you go for

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Just an update on this, I didn't manage to get the VueBell connected to my network. To get connected, you download an app, enter your Wifi details and wifi password, the app then produces a QR code which you hold up to the lens of the camera on the bell and its supposed to then connect into your wifi network. However, no matter what I try it wont connect

It only runs on 2.4ghz, so I set my virgin media hub 3.0 to only broadcast in 2.4ghz - didn't work
    Changed the channels on the hub
    Restarted the hub and the bell numerous times
    Ensured its running on latest firmware
    I've disabled MAC filtering
    Reinstalled the App

Anything else I should try before I return it?

Probably going to return the bell for a refund.

Will probably wait for this technology to move on a bit as it seems to be very buggy no matter what bell you go for
    Do you have or know anyone else with a spare router to use to test as those hubs are a POS.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Do you have or know anyone else with a spare router to use to test as those hubs are a POS.

The hub works with everything else though so should work with this. Will try a different router

I took a punt on a ring doorbell the other day. Can someone point me to a wireless chime that can work with it as the official one doesn't seem to be available

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I took a punt on a ring doorbell the other day. Can someone point me to a wireless chime that can work with it as the official one doesn't seem to be available

Get the Chime pro, has the benefit of the wifi extender built in as well as the chimer.

Makes the repairing of the bell easier also in the event goes offline. You can see the signal from the bell and chime pro individually etc from the app.

https://ring.com/chime-pro

Davy wrote: »
    Get the Chime pro, has the benefit of the wifi extender built in as well as the chimer.

Makes the repairing of the bell easier also in the event goes offline. You can see the signal from the bell and chime pro individually etc from the app.

https://ring.com/chime-pro

I ordered the chime on PC World UK site. I had a lot of trouble, had to use my Revolut card as they wouldn't take Irish Visa Debit or PayPal with Parcel Wizard address.

I don't want to add a wireless extender to my house as I have two access points and great coverage, extenders are nothing but trouble halving the bandwidth available to devices.

Got the Vue bell working. Will see how it goes over the next few days and write a review here

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

LG1234 wrote:
    Got the Vue bell working. Will see how it goes over the next few days and write a review here

Sound, getting more annoyed with the ring TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Sneachta

Hi all,
    I know I read someone posted ages ago about getting the ring pro from abroad. Can't find it in the thread though.

Can anyone recommend where to get it please and is there anything else I need to get to get it to work in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Sneachta wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I know I read someone posted ages ago about getting the ring pro from abroad. Can't find it in the thread though.

Can anyone recommend where to get it please and is there anything else I need to get to get it to work in Ireland?
    Full kit for sale on amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Stoner wrote: »
    Sound, getting more annoyed with the ring TBH.

Why ?? Connectivity problems ?

sharkman wrote:
    Why ?? Connectivity problems ?

It's fine most of the time but getting a day event 30swc clip without 15 seconds of freeze is difficult

The Vuebell is fairly useless. Way cheaper than the ring but doesn't do what it's supposed to.

The good:

Picture quality is good. At first all pictures were way to bright but I put a piece of tape over the top of the lens and that fixed the problem.

Live view is good. Can go into the app and see what's happening at my door at anytime.

Everyone keeps pressing the camera lens instead of the bell symbol, due to the stupid design of the bell

I get notifications as soon as someone walks into my garden which is good

The bad:

Setup was difficult, then it just randomly started working. However most other people had no issues with setup.

However, I'm supposed to be able to have a conversation with someone at the door, this doesn't work at all. I can't hear then and they can't hear me. It briefly worked for a few minutes the other day but other than that it's useless, this is what I really wanted the bell for.

If someone comes into my garden it will take about 4 photos but only one is actually viewable, it just says operation failed for the others.

Sometimes it doesn't work at all. Someone could be standing in front of the lens and it doesn't cop it.

Customer service were useless when I contacted them.

I'm hoping a firmware update will fix some of the issues but I won't hold my breath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

Ring pro kit on special on Amazon.co.uk £189.99

Advertisement