Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Dunbar

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I can personally attest that it’s very good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Lumen wrote:
    Surely he can't be leading Ineos for the Giro? The reporting is a bit confusing.

Think they aren't having any leader. No GC rider really among them capable of a 3 week ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Good chance for a stage win esp on a rolling stage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭buffalo

I can personally attest that it’s very good

He also climbs very well. He beat me in a race - more than once!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

buffalo wrote: »
    He also climbs very well. He beat me in a race - more than once!
    Your time will come. Wait for Eddie to burn himself out in week three and the phone will be ringing off the hook. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I've finished on the same time in a race as him... and probably more than once :D

Seriously though he came on to a scene as a junior lighting up races. And its great to see that every time he moves up a level, he continues to do so. That finale in Yorkshire was just so exciting to watch.

What seems to have changed in the last couple of years is that his matches are now used far more effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Now confirmed

https://twitter.com/TeamINEOS/status/1125701973033062400

You would have to think that the pecking order will have Eddie near the bottom, with TGH, Sosa and Sivakov getting priority, but it will be great to watch Eddie take whatever chances come his way

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Now confirmed

https://twitter.com/TeamINEOS/status/1125701973033062400

You would have to think that the pecking order will have Eddie near the bottom, with TGH, Sosa and Sivakov getting priority, but it will be great to watch Eddie take whatever chances come his way

ah I'd never look at it that way. There might be a 'leader' and a backup should something happen the leader (ala Thomas in last year's TdF). Otherwise it's not really a pecking order. It's more about different lads with different roles. I could see Eddie being the one pulling on the early slopes in hilly stages, then finishing comfortably in the grupetto.

It'd be great to think he might get a chance to go in a break, or to try for a stage himself, but Skineos have been so bloody controlled in GTs that its rare enough anyone gets the leeway to even try (though I can think of a few exceptions to that down the years)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

1bryan wrote: »
    ah I'd never look at it that way. There might be a 'leader' and a backup should something happen the leader (ala Thomas in last year's TdF). Otherwise it's not really a pecking order. It's more about different lads with different roles. I could see Eddie being the one pulling on the early slopes in hilly stages, then finishing comfortably in the grupetto.

It'd be great to think he might get a chance to go in a break, or to try for a stage himself, but Skineos have been so bloody controlled in GTs that its rare enough anyone gets the leeway to even try (though I can think of a few exceptions to that down the years)

Best hope might be that the team's GC ambitions evaporate reasonably early on. You'd like to see them go stage hunting - best way to do that is to play numerous cards rather than trying to get a specific guy up the road.

Best hope might be that the team's GC ambitions evaporate reasonably early on. You'd like to see them go stage hunting - best way to do that is to play numerous cards rather than trying to get a specific guy up the road.

I actually think this is the way it will play out. None of those younger lads have the legs yet for a 3 week GT GC assault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I actually think this is the way it will play out. None of those younger lads have the legs yet for a 3 week GT GC assault.

What about young riders jersey?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,026 ✭✭✭✭neris

Hopefully we'll see the guys being given a bit of leeway & let off the leash to go stage hunting and not the usual "bots"

neris wrote:
    Hopefully we'll see the guys being given a bit of leeway & let off the leash to go stage hunting and not the usual "bots"

Bots assembly would make no sense as they won't be going for GC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Bots assembly would make no sense as they won't be going for GC

I think they will go for GC with TGH and/or Sivakov but for a top 10 GC..at least for as long as it lasts
    That to be done by the riders following wheels rather on a train
    So they will have riders in the break most days

If Dunbar can get in the right break he can win a stage

GC is too hard at this stage so early in his GT career
    The only one I see riding well on GC is Sivakov but a top 10 would be great for him even a top 15

I hope Dunbar goes early for stages ..in first 10/12 stages before he gets too tired

• I'd love to see Eddie pull of a win like one he narrowly missed last year in stage 10 of Tour de l'Avenir.

EDIT: If we are talking breakaways lets hope Conor Dunne might have a day or two in the break.

• Spoilers
    So close today, second behind Valverde. Even put in his own dig against Uran and Valverde

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Videos from today:-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Strong result from Dunbar though something had me thinking he was away with Valverde at the finish - not so from the video above.

You'd nearly miss this from the amount of cycling on at the moment. I think Eurosport were covering 5 events in one day last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭harringtonp

I know riders don't normally do both the Giro and Tour and it is almost unheard of for younger riders to do both but I wouldn't be surprised if one of Eddie, Sosa or Sivakov are pulled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I know riders don't normally do both the Giro and Tour and it is almost unheard of for younger riders to do both but I wouldn't be surprised if one of Eddie, Sosa or Sivakov are pulled in.

Be great to see him in the Tour but would it be a little bit too much too soon?

He's racing in the Nationals next week in Derry - should be a cracking race, a few of them in really good form.

• Advertisement

• velo.2010 wrote: »
    Strong result from Dunbar though something had me thinking he was away with Valverde at the finish - not so from the video above.

You'd nearly miss this from the amount of cycling on at the moment. I think Eurosport were covering 5 events in one day last weekend.

It's nearly a full time job to keep up with the racing the last few weeks. I keep sitting down to watch it when I can and have to pull up procyclingstats to remind me who's in which race .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

3.5km climb today in Provence to see where Eddie's legs are at. Ventoux tomorrow

• Eurosport have it on the player with ambient sound and GCN are covering it live on youtube and will have Bernie Eisel and Dan Lloyd commentating. 2pm I think.

Tommorow's stage is going up as far as Chalet Reynard which is about 7km shy of the summit I think???

Eurosport have it on the player with ambient sound and GCN are covering it live on youtube and will have Bernie Eisel and Dan Lloyd commentating. 2pm I think.

Tommorow's stage is going up as far as Chalet Reynard which is about 7km shy of the summit I think???

this is true

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    this is true

Yes, summit still covered in snow.
    Eddie P6 today.

Mugser wrote: »
    Yes, summit still covered in snow.
    Eddie P6 today.

P6?

Is that you Carlton?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

We're a bit blasé about his excellence now, but he kept that 6th place in the final GC. Some good riders beneath him.
    Maybe more importantly he started the race as a co-leader with Sivakov and Moscon and beat them very handily. Winning that internal competition inside Ineos is huge if he wants to go into a GT with freedom to try for results.

• Next up for him is the UAE Tour next week and he's down to ride the Giro in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Eddie not selected for the Giro and not going to the Tour. The 2019 is his only Grand Tour. After his performance in Tour of Alps and his Yellow jersey in March I was sure he would get selected. What next for him. He is turning 26 in a few months. He needs to move on from Ineos

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

100%, he is a savage rider, great team player and they just over look him. I just don't get it. If he moves soon he has the opportunity for some decent tour level stage wins. Unsure of pay though, maybe Ineos has a decent salary and is nice to work there (provided you are male and successful).

Advertisement