Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2015 AFL Season Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

Jesus, I had to fast forward that last quarter of the Power game.Couldn't watch!!. From being in front by 57 to just winning by 8. Got over the line in the end.

Question for folks who are watching more footy than me. Is there a better kicker in front of goal from a mark/free than Jay Schulz? The chap is unbelievable at kicking. On the money everytime

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

I see Wayne Carey has gone with a rumour that Malthouse won't be coaching Carlton for too long after the Pies game on Friday. Time will tell...

Not sure if I'd be surprised or not...

In other news, Freo top of the ladder :D :cool:

...and has Bryce Gibbs let the cat out of the bag implying a win against the Pies would be a great "send off" for Malthouse? Yes, he retracted it after & laughed it off later on twitter, so maybe it was just a slip of the tongue... maybe...

In other news, Colin Sylvia :rolleyes:

UPDATE: Malthouse, in response to "Will you be coaching at the end of the year?"; "I sincerely hope so"...
    Rrrrrright... that's that cleared up then, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

Congrats on making the Wolf Pack Shane!

Real FM wrote: »
    Congrats on making the Wolf Pack Shane!

Oh yes - the highest honour in my career! :P

• Advertisement

Just seen a little bit of the Magpies/Blues game from Friday.

Watched all the Port/Crows game.Paddy Ryder is going to be huge for The Power.Robbie Gray back to the team also. Racking up huge points but letting them in also. Last 3 wins the opposition still managed to kick 90+ points.

What happened in Sydney? Haven't seen any games from the Bulldogs this season but they were poison last year. What's happened to that team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

MANUTD99 wrote: »

Haven't seen any games from the Bulldogs this season but they were poison last year. What's happened to that team?

New captain, new coach, new belief, and a bunch of talented kids. They are playing some great football which exciting to watch. Oh and they have Bontompelli :)

It was a great game on Saturday, I had tipped Sydney, (as most did I think) but I was shouting on the Doggies all game. Fantastic stuff.

It was a real pity that Carlton couldn't put up a better effort for Malthouse on Friday night. Carlton are making everyone they play look awesome. A complete clean out is needed at that club. Disaster from top to bottom.

As for Freo, top of the ladder, 5-0 first time in our history. So good so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Can't argue with Freo's start Mackman, they look very impressive. Mayne back to his best, Neale gone to another level and Taberner taking some of the pressure off Pav. As always though, I worry about their depth, particularly if McPharlin, Pav or Sandi get injured. All looking good so far though.

I was at the game on Friday night and Carlton were woeful. Just completely lacking in pace and run, as well as hunger for the contest. All of which would be bad enough if they were a highly skilled team but they have some awful players running around. It says a lot when they're in desperate need of two Irish rookies to get fit so that they can increase the skill level in the team.

Collingwood are in good form but we've beaten three bottom 4 teams and a flagging Essendon so I don't think anyone is getting carried away yet. Geelong on Friday night will be a good indicator of whether we are realistic finals contenders this year.

What happened in Sydney? Haven't seen any games from the Bulldogs this season but they were poison last year. What's happened to that team?

Enthusiasm, game plan, skill level, pace. The Doggies have all of the above at the moment and it's great to watch. It's debatable whether they'll be able to keep it going but they've had a tricky draw to start with and they are 4-1 so no reason why they can't go on with it. What make the Sydney win even more impressive is that they did it without their defensive linchpin Dale Morris. I'm on the bandwagon anyway, I find them great to watch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Mackman wrote: »
    New captain, new coach, new belief, and a bunch of talented kids. They are playing some great football which exciting to watch. Oh and they have Bontompelli :)

It was a great game on Saturday, I had tipped Sydney, (as most did I think) but I was shouting on the Doggies all game. Fantastic stuff.

It was a real pity that Carlton couldn't put up a better effort for Malthouse on Friday night. Carlton are making everyone they play look awesome. A complete clean out is needed at that club. Disaster from top to bottom.

As for Freo, top of the ladder, 5-0 first time in our history. So good so far :D

:mad: dont make me infract you for posting spam! ;)

Freo looking good alright. They had a tough enough opening series, so to get through with 5 wins is an excellent start. Hawthorn are still the one for me to watch. And I also think Port Adelaide come finals will be above them too, but I think the gap is shortening at the top. Sydney are proving that.

Mick will surely be gone soon. It's easy to say from afar that a manager has lost his dressing room, but there doesnt seem to be any effort or fight from Carlton, and thats the most worrying thing. As I said before, I think Malthouses tactics are poor and from a different era and dont work now, but that alone is not what is costing them.

Port really are looking good too. Quality young side, and I'd expect them to win a premiership in the very near future.

• Advertisement

The Josh Kennedy story this week was mental. Elbow injury. Out for a few games. Elbow surgery, out for months. Serious surgery, done for the year. Elbow sprain named to play this week. The media there is crazy and can pretty much say whatever they want.

typical that they have the Eagles game on TV here this week, when they will probably get battered all the way from Adelaide back up to Perth.

Shock of the season so far, with GWS beating Hawthorn. Super win for them. Considering the battering a weakened west coast gave them last week, I wasn't expecting them to be close, never mind winning!

fcuk off Eagles:mad:. I'm delighted Port are not on telly next week. What a **** show!! Avoid twitter and internet all day and then sit down to watch that garbage!!

fcuk off Eagles:mad:. I'm delighted Port are not on telly next week. What a **** show!! Avoid twitter and internet all day and then sit down to watch that garbage!!

wooo hooo!!!! :p:p:p:pac:

but in all honesty, that is a massive win for West Coast. I hope this isnt another false dawn like 3 years ago, but if the side can keep progressing like this, especially the young players like McGovern, then the future may not be as bad as predicted, especially considering the top players missing for the Eagles right now.

I must say, the Eagles looked good. Pressure, skills were good, but jeez, Port were bad. Is it the comedown after the "showdown"?

Edit: my tipping has fallen to pieces :(

I must say, the Eagles looked good. Pressure, skills were good, but jeez, Port were bad. Is it the comedown after the "showdown"?

Edit: my tipping has fallen to pieces :(

Join the club, think I'm averaging about 4 right per week :o

Have to say, I didn't see that performance coming from the Eagles, particularly in Adelaide so fair play. Shuey is the key for them, any time he plays well they are there or thereabouts.

Collingwood were putrid in the first quarter Friday night and ok after that. We really need to inject some more class (Tony Armstrong, really??) into the team as we struggle to play through teams when matched for intensity. Hopefully Scharenberg, Freeman and De Goey can establish themselves in the second half of the season and Seedsman can come back and continue his good form.

Still time for everyone to join me on the Giants bandwagon :pac:

yeah Shuey has the ability, but not the consistency, to be a top class player. If he can shake off the tagger and be more consistent, it would go a long way to the Eagles being a top 8 team. Priddis is what he is, and wont change, gets on a lot of ball and gets rid of a lot of ball. Where it goes or what happens with it is anyones guess, but it's his supporting class of players that need to improve that midfield. Masten is another one who showed potential but has never really delivered. And Wellingham has been a serious disappointment since he arrived. I've been impressed enough with Yeo though. Plays some very tough footy and gets on a good bot of ball too. Some of the younger guys coming through will be the long term replacements on some of that midfield.

and yeah, my picks have been horrendous this year!

Who cut the power?? They were just teasing me last year!! What a **** show. Glad it wasn't on the box.

What about the Bombers/Kangaroo's game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Great win for Tiges.

Ugly game but great to see Richmond going hard at contest and really aggressive tackling. That was what we were completely lacking in first 6 games.

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Great win for Tiges.

Ugly game but great to see Richmond going hard at contest and really aggressive tackling. That was what we were completely lacking in first 6 games.

Deledio has made a huge difference since he's come back but Richmond are still a 6-10 team for me until they improve their bottom 6 or 7 players, still carrying too many passengers.

God only knows what's happened to Port, it's easy to blame complacency but at this stage that excuse doesn't really wash. Losing to West Coast, Brisbane and Richmond in consecutive weeks is form that could see them miss finals which would be unbelievable considering pre-season expectations.

Jesse Hogan is a damn freak, no twenty year old key forward should be dominating physically to the extent that he has.

• Advertisement

SSK wrote: »
    Deledio has made a huge difference since he's come back but Richmond are still a 6-10 team for me until they improve their bottom 6 or 7 players, still carrying too many passengers.

Yep Lids is massively important for us.

I think Tiges are 6-8 side alright. Tbh I'd be happy to finish 8th and win a final with current list. Looking around the league this year I think the only game most teams would write off as a no-hoper would be Freo at home. Everyone else looks beatable.

Mick's gone. I don't know how musch it will help Carlton, my guess is not too much. But it's a start.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-26/carlton-sacks-malthouse-as-coach

Mick's gone. I don't know how musch it will help Carlton, my guess is not too much. But it's a start.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-26/carlton-sacks-malthouse-as-coach

Carlton dragged this out way too long. One good thing is the bloody flogs of players who have been hiding behind all abuse aimed at MM will now get attention they deserve. Disgraceful lack of effort and heart by them over last month.

Carlton dragged this out way too long. One good thing is the bloody flogs of players who have been hiding behind all abuse aimed at MM will now get attention they deserve. Disgraceful lack of effort and heart by them over last month.

yeah there is enough talent there for them to be far higher down last place. As much as the players havent made the effort, and there should be an element of blame laid at their door, it is ultimately up to the coach to get the best out of his side. Mick was a long way away from doing that, and that have really got worse with each passing season.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

Yep Lids is massively important for us.

I think Tiges are 6-8 side alright. Tbh I'd be happy to finish 8th and win a final with current list. Looking around the league this year I think the only game most teams would write off as a no-hoper would be Freo at home. Everyone else looks beatable.

Richmond playing in Perth this weekend will be a great test for them.

I was at the Adelaide Oval last weekend. It was a great game. I thought Adelaide were the better team on the night and the conditions suited them better. But it all about the final score.
    Fyfe v Dangerfield was awesome, the game was exciting and close all the way through. Fair play to Freo.
    Jeez, they are a big team. It looked like men against boys as the teams warmed up. Fyfe is a freak. Not sure how you can play against him. Looking forward to seeing how an in form team play against Freo in Perth. Still. Think it will make no difference.
    Can only see Hawthorne, Sydney or Port knocking off Freo this year.

Probably the Crows best game in the last year. Betts is becoming a real hero.

Hopefully the guys coming back in the next few weeks will give a boost for the second half of the season and lead us to finals football.

seipeal1 wrote: »
    Richmond playing in Perth this weekend will be a great test for them.

I was at the Adelaide Oval last weekend. It was a great game. I thought Adelaide were the better team on the night and the conditions suited them better. But it all about the final score.
    Fyfe v Dangerfield was awesome, the game was exciting and close all the way through. Fair play to Freo.
    Jeez, they are a big team. It looked like men against boys as the teams warmed up. Fyfe is a freak. Not sure how you can play against him. Looking forward to seeing how an in form team play against Freo in Perth. Still. Think it will make no difference.
    Can only see Hawthorne, Sydney or Port knocking off Freo this year.

Probably the Crows best game in the last year. Betts is becoming a real hero.

Hopefully the guys coming back in the next few weeks will give a boost for the second half of the season and lead us to finals football.

Can't see Tiges getting up against Freo, in Freo. Hopefully they give it a crack though.

It's an interesting season so far. Hawks look all over the place but they can sneak into top 4 and make a GF I'd still back them to win it on the day. Outside of Freo nobody is really playing particularly well. Eagles are going well but they have a dream draw and I'd be surprised if they were contenders in September.

Fyfe is really superb and a great replacement as Supercoach captain in Ablett's abscence as well :)

Can't see Tiges getting up against Freo, in Freo. Hopefully they give it a crack though.

It's an interesting season so far. Hawks look all over the place but they can sneak into top 4 and make a GF I'd still back them to win it on the day. Outside of Freo nobody is really playing particularly well. Eagles are going well but they have a dream draw and I'd be surprised if they were contenders in September.

Fyfe is really superb and a great replacement as Supercoach captain in Ablett's abscence as well :)

Freo are definites for a Top 2 at this stage you would have to say. Sydney will definitely be Top 4 and you would expect the Hawks to go on a run in the second half of the year to comfortably make the 4 as well.

Hard to know who will get the last 4 spot. WC have looked the best of the rest but are a Kennedy or McGovern injury away from struggling IMO. They should make the 8 but it's hard to know if they can keep their early season form going.

Very difficult to assess the other 4 spots. On early season form GWS and Adelaide look the most likely but Port are definitely the best team of the bunch and you'd expect them to pick up in the second half. Obviously I'd like to see Collingwood keep it up but after Melbourne in the QB game we have a shocking run playing GWS, Freo, Port, Hawthorn and WC in consecutive weeks.

Freo are definites for a Top 2 at this stage you would have to say. Sydney will definitely be Top 4 and you would expect the Hawks to go on a run in the second half of the year to comfortably make the 4 as well.

Hard to know who will get the last 4 spot. WC have looked the best of the rest but are a Kennedy or McGovern injury away from struggling IMO. They should make the 8 but it's hard to know if they can keep their early season form going.

Very difficult to assess the other 4 spots. On early season form GWS and Adelaide look the most likely but Port are definitely the best team of the bunch and you'd expect them to pick up in the second half. Obviously I'd like to see Collingwood keep it up but after Melbourne in the QB game we have a shocking run playing GWS, Freo, Port, Hawthorn and WC in consecutive weeks.

I can see Freo retaining top spot, they have that bit of a cushion now already, and some of the other top sides have lost a few games against weaker sides.

The Eagles season was over when they lost MacKenzie. then it was over when they lost Brown. It was a bad start to be without Darling. It made it worse to also be without Selwood. Yet they are still going. I'm surprised at it to be honest, and I'd be happy if they hung on there in the 8, nevermind top 4. the progression of the midfield has been the biggest thing IMO. Gaff, Shuey, Masten all finally delivering, Yeo has been excellent, and then Duggan coming in as a rookie lighting it up. Signs are good longterm at least, but I also said that in 2012 after finishing top 4 and then completely falling off the radar the following year.

Port are certainly good enough to get back in the reckoning. better to have a blip now than at the end of the year. It'll be an almighty scrap for the last couple of finals placings, essendon, collingwood, Adelaide, Richmond, North (if they get their act together) and GWS who have been really impressive.

Tragic news about Phil Walsh this morning, just a terrible waste of life and a massive loss to the Adelaide football club and the AFL in general.

RIP & condolences to his family and friends.

• Advertisement

Tragic news about Phil Walsh this morning, just a terrible waste of life and a massive loss to the Adelaide football club and the AFL in general.

RIP & condolences to his family and friends.

huge shock, especially considering the circumstances. His son has been arrested and charged.

Advertisement