Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

keane2097 wrote: »
    Was Lacey corner back again yeah? I thought when Ryan McHugh came into the team last year he was playing wing forward and dropping back a la Mark or am I remembering that incorrectly?

Lacey and Ryan McHugh started as corner backs. McHugh and McGlynn were switched about halfway through the first half. Lacey got forward at times, but he was primarily involved in a defensive role.

I recall your recent 'travesty' comment about Lacey as a corner back, but the reality is that until Paddy McGrath comes back (and I am getting worried that we still haven't seen him in the playing squad), Lacey, Eamon McGee and Frank McGlynn are the only reliable options we have for the two corner back spots. Whatever about his skill as a footballer, Lacey is also an excellent defender, and unless Paddy and Eamon are fit/clear from suspension, I'd rather have him at corner back than anywhere else.

And, he wasn't the only one, but Eamon McGee looked very out of sorts against both Monaghan and Mayo last year. This is perhaps reflective of the overall issue that affected Donegal last year - the collective failure put our full back line under more pressure than they had been subjected to in 2012. I'm hoping that when he comes back my niggling doubt about him from last year will be put to rest.

Ryan McHugh is not an intercounty corner back, at least not to me. Last year, he was employed at half forward against Mayo from the start, at half foward against Monaghan as an indirect replacement for his brother (who had been replaced by David Walsh after 10 minutes) and at half back against Down (replacing Frank McGlynn who went off injured). He played half forward for the U-21s last year as far as I know. Not sure about where he tends to play for Kilcar - I think himself, Mark and Eoin are deployed as needed between half back/half forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Whatever about his skill as a footballer, Lacey is also an excellent defender
    Yup, he is an exceptional defender. Even though I think his link up play could be sorely missed if he stays in the corner, it should be remembered that it was as a corner back that Lacey earned his first two All Stars so we're in very good hands with him back there.

As a matter of interest, what was your opinion of the foul on (I think) Rory Kavanagh in the first half as he was moving in on goal after a nice little run by him? The guy who tripped him got a yellow card but I thought at the time it was a clear intentional trip when Kavanagh was getting away from him and so should have warranted a black card. Of course, the good old "accidental" clipping of heels excuse may be a reasonably valid excuse to offer up too.:D
    It would seem from talking to a few people today who seen it that there is a sense that black cards will only be given for the most blatant of cynical fouls (a la Cavanagh).

Yup, he is an exceptional defender. Even though I think his link up play could be sorely missed if he stays in the corner, it should be remembered that it was as a corner back that Lacey earned his first two All Stars so we're in very good hands with him back there.

Fully agree.
    As a matter of interest, what was your opinion of the foul on (I think) Rory Kavanagh in the first half as he was moving in on goal after a nice little run by him? The guy who tripped him got a yellow card but I thought at the time it was a clear intentional trip when Kavanagh was getting away from him and so should have warranted a black card. Of course, the good old "accidental" clipping of heels excuse may be a reasonably valid excuse to offer up too.:D
    It would seem from talking to a few people today who seen it that there is a sense that black cards will only be given for the most blatant of cynical fouls (a la Cavanagh).

I was probably too far away to really have an opinion. However a Donegal player's run was checked off the ball early enough in the first half on the stand side of the ground - it seemed like a clear enough black card to me, by the referee seemed to consult with the linesman who will remain nameless and no action was taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

I was probably too far away to really have an opinion. However a Donegal player's run was checked off the ball early enough in the first half on the stand side of the ground - it seemed like a clear enough black card to me, by the referee seemed to consult with the linesman who will remain nameless and no action was taken.
    Had a little snigger with my Dad when we seen who was running the line alright.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Had a little snigger with my Dad when we seen who was running the line alright.:D

Who was it? Duffer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Who was it? Duffer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Neeson wrote: »
    Who was it? Duffer?

My first thought when I seen this. Surely not! He's a parody of himself at this stage is old MD!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭harpsman

My first thought when I seen this. Surely not! He's a parody of himself at this stage is old MD!
    Marty duffy or Michael-was Michael the guy who came on in Dublin match?

Hard to fathom Ryan McHugh at corner back-he was caught badly once in first half(only saw tg4 highlights ps, fair play to tg4 for covering Donegal games). Think he might just have to go w Frank and Karl til Paddy,Eamon and Declan Walsh back.Thought we would have bit more cover for corner back actually.
    another good win-did very well against that wind.
    think we should beat Meath and Louth at home,then one more win against monaghan at home or Armagh and Down away should get us into top 2 given its a competitive division and we have a good points diff already.

harpsman wrote: »
    Think he might just have to go w Frank and Karl til Paddy,Eamon and Declan Walsh back.Thought we would have bit more cover for corner back actually.

Declan Walsh is fit as far as I know - but I don't consider him suited to corner back either. Eamon McGee is back from suspension next game. Reading the interviews after Sunday, it doesn't sound like Paddy McGrath will be back until the latter stages of the league, which is a concern as the longer he's out, the less likely he will be ready for 25 May.

think we should beat Meath and Louth at home,then one more win against monaghan at home or Armagh and Down away should get us into top 2 given its a competitive division and we have a good points diff already.

We've got Monaghan in Letterkenny next. Win that one, in convincing fashion or in a hard fought game, and we should have a better sense of where we're at. Lose, and questions will be asked about the quality of our first two wins. It won't make up for losing out on the three in a row, but we owe them.

And, no disrespect to the other teams in the division, but unless we're not interested in winning the game (e.g. we may not need to beat Armagh), we should win every game in this division.

Declan Walsh is fit as far as I know - but I don't consider him suited to corner back either. Eamon McGee is back from suspension next game. Reading the interviews after Sunday, it doesn't sound like Paddy McGrath will be back until the latter stages of the league, which is a concern as the longer he's out, the less likely he will be ready for 25 May.

We've got Monaghan in Letterkenny next. Win that one, in convincing fashion or in a hard fought game, and we should have a better sense of where we're at. Lose, and questions will be asked about the quality of our first two wins. It won't make up for losing out on the three in a row, but we owe them.

And, no disrespect to the other teams in the division, but unless we're not interested in winning the game (e.g. we may not need to beat Armagh), we should win every game in this division.
    Wouldnt agree with you re Declan Walsh-did he not play corner back for the U-21s.I think hes definitely a better corner back than Ryan McHugh.
    With regard to winnin all our games suppose Im just a natural pessimist when it comes to Donegal-on that note I see Derry looking impressive so far-thats goin to be a very tough one in May-think the winner of that one will be hot favourite to win ulster.

• Advertisement

Wouldnt agree with you re Declan Walsh-did he not play corner back for the U-21s.I think hes definitely a better corner back than Ryan McHugh.

He played wing back in the U-21 Final in 2011. Paddy McGrath, Eamon Doherty and Ciaran Boyle were the full back line. He did play corner back in the Semi-Final, but was wing back in the three games in Ulster. He plays midfield for Malin.

Declan may well be a better corner back than Ryan but I don't want to see either of them there come Championship :).

The two McGees, Murphy, Mark McHugh and, surprisingly, Lacey named in the Interpro squad. All I care about is that none of them get injured. Grimley wouldn't release the Armagh players picked.

A few Donegal lads in action in the Sigerson Quarter Finals today - Paddy for Maynooth and Luke Keaney for Jordanstown - both teams won, no word on the two lads. Could end up meeting in the Final yet. Edit - Paddy got 1-3, 2 from play.

Sounds like the All County League is fooked already - first games fixed for 23 March and then a 4-5 week break. Same issues coming up over and over.

New jersey arrived today - the colour is much nicer 'in the flesh'.

Turns out there is a Kelly lad from Urris playing midfield for NUIM in the Sigerson - anything to former Donegal squad player Ed?

I hate the way they need to make reference to the fact that MDMA's dad was from Donegal. So what? The lad is a true blue.

Five Senior Players in the U-21 Panel

On the face of it, it would appear to me that we have a decent chance of reaching the Ulster Final again. We're returning a lot of the better players, with Odhran MacNiallais and Luke Keaney the big name departures. Hugh McFadden could do very well at this level, and surely Paddy McBrearty and Ryan McHugh will stand out.

Would be interested to hear any views on the other players in the sqaud. Kevin McLaughlin could be an interesting prospect given his recent scoring prospects in the McLarnon.

Match report from the first Semi-Final in this year's McLarnon. Jigger gets a hat-trick. St Eunans have a chance to make it an all Donegal final on Wednesday night.

Facile win for St Eunan's in Garrvaghey tonight, but great to see both Donegal teams in the McLarnon Final. Will be a rematch of sorts I guess given Buncrana pulled off a bit of a surprise when beating Eunans in the Minor League Final last year (I think it was the League rather than the Championship?).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭overshoot

serious win, 4-10 to 5 was it?!

seen parking restrictions for the weekend so thought id post em here. might actually make this one. match attendance has/will be awful this year but might make this one at least!

DONEGAL V MONAGHAN Traffic Restrictions

Donegal v Monaghan takes place in O'Donnell Park this Sunday, March 2nd and the following traffic restrictions will be in place:

Road closure at Blacks Junction (Bottom of Convent Road) from 12:30pm.

Access only to residents of Ballymacool/Kirkstown/Conwal, vehicles with passes, disabled drivers and match officials.

Non match traffic will be diverted at Dunnes Stores/Station House roundabout via Oldtown.

Match traffic will be diverted into Retail Parks car parks and LYIT car park. There will be some signs at various Car Parks for match parking.

Shuttle bus service from The Station House Hotel / Old Dunnes Stores to O'Donnell Park.

No parking for match traffic at GAA ground. No parking on Kirkstown road near GAA grounds or in vicinity of Ballymacool Woods.

Non match traffic from Glenties direction will be diverted at Newmills via Rockhill from 1pm. Local residents, HGVs and buses will be permitted access.

Match traffic from Glenties direction will be diverted into local car parks. When these car parks are approaching capacity match traffic from Glenties direction will be turned at Glenties side of O'Donnell Park and parked on left hand side of road outbound.

Please follow the directions of Match Stewards and an Garda Síochana at all times.

Heading to my first game of season on Sunday.
    Its a fairly big one in terms of promotion and also after last July. Think we should have enough to gain a little bit of revenge,and more importantly, the 2 points.

Driving up for the next two weekends just for the games.

I hope we go all out for the win. Our record against Monaghan was horrible even before last years disappointment. If they are at full strength, it should be a good test. Winning a tight, hard game would be good. Losing in any circumstance and I'd have to re-assess where we're at.

Sure it's only the League, but it's all we have to go on.

Side issue, but I don't know why the game that was always going to attract the biggest crowd is being played in Letterkenny and not Ballybofey. Focusing solely on the grounds themselves, Ballybofey would accomodate the expected crowd on Sunday with much more ease/comfort - ignoring the seating, at least there is a proper terrace.

• Advertisement

Neither Hughes brother or the Moan named in the Monaghan starting fifteen.

1. Rory Beggan
    2. Ryan Wylie
    3. Drew Wylie
    4. Fintan Kelly
    5. Colin Walshe
    6. Kieran Duffy
    7. Conor Boyle
    8. Gavin Doogan
    9. Paul Finlay
    10. Thomas Kerry
    11. Chris McGuinness
    12. Padraic Keenan
    13. Dermot Malone
    14. Jack McCarron
    15. Conor McManus

Aside from McManus, McCarron could be one to watch. I dunno if Finlay has 70 minutes at midfield. Not sure on the status of the Hughes' - Kieran played for UUJ last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Interesting team - completely different half back and half forward lines to the one that started the Ulster final (assuming player play as listed) and 7 changes from the starting 15 that day.
    On our side I see McGuinness isn't planning many changes from the last day although Eamonn McGee will be back on the bench so if you look at our bench it's starting to look very healthy (Eamonn McGee, Neil Gallagher, Marty O' Reilly, Declan Walsh, Paddy McBrearty) with David Walsh and Paddy McGrath to come back soon as well. Add in the relatively new faces making a contribution (both from the bench and in Sigerson/MacLarnon action), namely Hugh McFadden, Luke Keaney and Darach O'Connor, and things are looking quite good for the summer.

Anyone know if u can pay at gate for stand today.?Woulnt mind bit of cover. Looks wet

Just back. Another satisfactory win. Tough conditions for game but played few decent patches. Main highlight was mc nialis. Looks like he could be a greT addition. Mcbrearty looked in great nick when he came on. Thought 2 midfielders were good too. Monaghan were awful. Didnt look too interested. Promotion should be gauranteed now. Whens league final?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Just back. Another satisfactory win. Tough conditions for game but played few decent patches. Main highlight was mc nialis. Looks like he could be a greT addition. Mcbrearty looked in great nick when he came on. Thought 2 midfielders were good too. Monaghan were awful. Didnt look too interested. Promotion should be gauranteed now. Whens league final?

Very happt with it too and agree that McNiallas looks like an excellent prospect. thought McElhinney was excellent again but as you said Monaghan were dreadful. Lacey looks out of sorts to me and I hope its not a problem that is emerging from his operation. Murphy, Toye had off games too so a lot of room for improvement which is great. Win our 2 home games and were in great shape as Monaghan can only get 11pts. With our pts difference a draw in Newry or Armagh should see us over the line

My immediate verdict is that we were comfortable without being convincing. It was a bit like last summer's Championship win over Tyrone - the goals were the difference. First off, you have to acknowledge that Monaghan were missing seven or eight of their first choice 15. Lennon and D Hughes were massive losses at midfield and while they managed to plug the gap with K Hughes, moving him out weakened their forward line. Still, Donegal took care of business which is always good to see - can only beat what's in front of you etc.

The positives - Ryan McHugh, McElhinney and MacNiallais all played well. Right now, you would have to say that they should be in our first choice 15 but Jim has come out and said he sees the starting line up as more fluid than was previously the case so we'll see I guess. Very impressive cameo from Paddy McBrearty for the third game running. I haven't checked, but I think he's scored at least two from play from the bench in each game so far. It was also good to see Jigger in action, he did well, although probably should have taken a score himself late on instead of passing.

The areas for improvement - well, there were a few. Michael Murphy probably had one of his poorer games in the gold and green and only had one point from a free to show for his efforts. After a very encouraging return against Laois, Christy Toye's performances seemed to have tailed off in the last two games. Launching Neil McGee as an attacker didn't really work well, pretty sure he turned the ball over twice in the Monaghan half. Leo McLoone continued his habit of carrying into contact and looked fortunate to get two frees. In general, we were very sloppy in our execution at times. OK, conditions weren't perfect, but that can only count for so much.

Hopefully Frank McGlynn isn't badly injured - Jim didn't seem to think so, but with Eamon McGee available again (don't know why he didn't get a run yesterday), I'd like to see Frank get a rest next weekend.

I wonder - if/when everyone is fit, could we play McElhinney at centre half back? My concern is that he seems like more of an attacker than a defender.

Ref watch - Cassidy frustrated everybody. Some poor decisions all round.

Tl; dr? Donegal good enough, Monaghan not great.

Durcan

E Mc Gee
    N Mc Gee
    Mc Grath

Mc Glynn
    Lacey
    Thompson

Gallagher
    Mc Elhinney

Kavanagh
    Mc Niallis
    Mc Hhugh

Mc Brearty
    Murphy
    Mc Fadden

Subs

Dec Walsh
    Mc Loone
    R McHhugh
    Toye
    Dav Walsh
    Molloy

Based on current form this would be my championship team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Durcan

E Mc Gee
    N Mc Gee
    Mc Grath

Mc Glynn
    Lacey
    Thompson

Gallagher
    Mc Elhinney

Kavanagh
    Mc Niallis
    Mc Hhugh

Mc Brearty
    Murphy
    Mc Fadden

Subs

Dec Walsh
    Mc Loone
    R McHhugh
    Toye
    Dav Walsh
    Molloy

Based on currenI'm current is would be my championship team.

Funnily enough I thought we began to lose some of the midfield battle in Galway and yesterday once Gallagher came on. Fitness is the issue obviously but personally on current form I think I'd have to go with Kav, McElhinney in midfield. Maybe im the only one thinking that but seemed that way to me.

SM746 wrote: »
    Funnily enough I thought we began to lose some of the midfield battle in Galway and yesterday once Gallagher came on. Fitness is the issue obviously but personally on current form I think I'd have to go with Kav, McElhinney in midfield. Maybe im the only one thinking that but seemed that way to me.

I don't disagree, but one game on a heavy pitch doesn't really give any indication of Championship form. Way to early to be picking a Championship 15 at this point IMHO. We have no idea what to expect from Paddy McGrath or indeed Eamon McGee. Martin McElhinney and Rory Kavanagh have been playing well, but Neil has been one of our more consistent players and is our best fielder.

Recall as well that when Rory went off, Monaghan had also changed their midfield pairing - Finlay and Doogan had no impact in the first half. K Hughes and Dick the Hash had more of an effect.

We need to keep in mind as well that the standard of opposition we have faced so far, including the Monaghan team that started yesterday is not really a good feel for what we will face at the height of the Championship.

So far, I think it's fair to say that Toye and MacNiallais look like they will give us a bit more than Wherrity and Bradley. Other than that, I'm not prepared to make too many calls as to how we will look come May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

So far, I think it's fair to say that Toye and MacNiallais look like they will give us a bit more than Wherrity and Bradley. Other than that, I'm not prepared to make too many calls as to how we will look come May.

Wouldn't be hard to be fair, espcially on the point of Wherity. Great to see MacNiallas grow into it. Seen the Tyrone game and it was good to have that wee bit of dynamism there.

On the point of Midfield, I still think all things being equal, Rory Kav and Big Neil are our best options in there. Bit of a problem area midfield though and has been for a while.

Advertisement