Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

who will run in kerry

• 06-01-2011 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭

john o donoghue, one of the healy raes, marie maloney, who else

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

goat2 wrote: »
    john o donoghue, one of the healy raes, marie maloney, who else
    Of to the Kerry forum with ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Healy Rae called to my house before Christmas. I told him ( politely in fairness) that he hadn't a hope of me voting for him. To give the guy his due, he spent 25minutes at my door on a cold night talking ( and he can talk!). I still won't vote for him mind or give him a number 2,3 or 4 but my opinion of him has improved. I neglected to tell him that I'm not registered to vote in the south kerry constituency! He was wondering why I wasn't on the register and offered to sign me up. I declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i have not yet made up my mind as to who i will be voting for, i dont think that the whole line up is known to us yet, but i am so disappointed with the way things are, i am thinking of abstaining, couldnt be bothered wasting petrol going to polling booth, i always cast my vote, but now cannot think of any party that will bring us out of this mess, after all ff polititians are leaving every day now, which is a very bad sign of what is to come, shows they have no hope, rats, sinking ship comes to mind, no money to have fun anymore for them, and less for us, but if they come looking for votes, i will not be shy with telling them what i think of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I think the FF and FG selection conventions are this week sometime.

As it stands there's talk that John O'Donohgue will be running on his own for FF.

On behalf of team Healy-Rae, Michael will be running.:(

For Fine Gael, Tom Sheehan and Brendan Griffin look like being the candidates.

For Labour, Marie Moloney is confirmed as running.

There's talk in Killarney that Mick Gleeson will be running as an Independent and that there will be announcement in the next week or two. His entry into the race would be very interesting especially in the key battleground of Killarney where he outpolled Moloney in the local elections last year out. In terms of repairing the damage done to Kerry South's image by electing both JHR and JOD, I think he would be a great choice.

There seemed to be some talk of Toireasa Ferris running but I think wisely that this seemed to have faded. I use wisely in the sense that I think that she would be viewed very much as a blow-in from North Kerry and I could see that going badly for her. Combine that with the fact that Sinn Fein don't really have much of a presence in South Kerry and have performed pretty poorly in local elections and I think she will most likely succeed her father when he retires (probably at the next election)

Personally I think we'll see one of JOD or MHR losing out and I'd be hopeful that we might see the end of both especially if Gleeson enters the race.

if gleeson run, he will put the cat among the pigeons, marie maloney and jod will lose alot of votes, gleeson has being giving alot of his time to helping others over the years and not asking to be recognised, he will sweep the boards, he is also known far and wide among others which will add to the votehe will dent the healy rae dinasty

• Advertisement

John O'Donoghue confirmed as the sole FF candidate.

Tom Sheahan and Brendan Griffin confirmed as the FG candidates.

Confirmed so far
    FF : John O'Donoghue
    IND FF : Michael Healy-Rae
    FG : Tom Sheahan, Brendan Griffin
    LAB : Marie Moloney

I've heard talk about Mick Gleeson as an Independent.

Anyone know if the Greens or Sinn Fein are planning on running anyone?

Is there anyone else who might throw their hat into the mix?

So Tom Flemming has decided to run as an "independent".

I'm not sure how much the "independent" label is going to fool anyone as he was a loyal FFer up until the selection convention last weekend and has represented them for almost 20 years at local level. He will take a lot of votes from John O'Donoghue from loyal FF voters but I don't think he has that much of a realistic chance of taking a seat as he won't pick up enough in the way of transfers.

We now have three separate candidates from different wings of the Fianna Fail party in Kerry south - the official wing represented by John O'Donoghue ; the "I'll vote for FF loyally as long as they give me stuff" wing as represented by Team Healy-Rae and the "FF when canvassing FF voters; independent when canvassing non-FF voters" wing as represented by Tom Flemming.

Also someone sent me on this link of Healy-Rae canvassing for Daddy in 2007. Was apparently played on the George Hook show on Newstalk earlier this week. :(

Strangely there doesnt appear to be any mention of the issues whatsoever. Kerry South already became a laughing stock for electing Jackie; for all our sakes I really hope we don't send junior to the Dail.

Of course, I might be completely wrong and Michael might have some great ideas in terms of how to get the country out of this mess.:rolleyes:

I'll be sending this on to a fair few people and I'd urge others to do the same. There's the saying that the public gets the politicans it deserves ; surely we deserve better than this.

i think it will be sheehan.healy rae.fleming to full these seats.i think people will be looking at strong contenders, new faces

Advertisement