Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos taken on your cycle.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Taken(by me) of a friend last week in Gran Canaria on the horrific GC-606 road to Carrizal de Tejeda a spur off the GC-210 'Valley of the Tears'

54361815-10216205280756949-5810913914799521792-n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

God that brings me back to looking the same last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Miklos wrote: »
    God that brings me back to looking the same last month.

'Man pukes into own Garmin' :D As a friend of mine so eloquently put it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

That looks nasty

East Pier Howth this morning

20190402-071001.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Post fight recovery

Irish Lights ship just off Howth Harbour on Saturday morning. Apparently Princess Anne was over and was visiting the Bailey & the ship

20190413-071634.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Aiw1VJch.jpg

Misty one this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Plastik wrote: »
    Misty one this evening.

Nice bike, scenery and photo Plastik.

Where abouts?

That's the top of Luggala looking towards Lough Dan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Going up !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Co Waterford canal

With 42x21 .. the climbing is ...

5AVFWP6l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

GHHFkLM.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That's fabulous Daroxtar. I know it's a well worn cliche but it is a great little country when the weather plays ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Yeah, it's gorgeous. I'm a bit biased though, the house farthest over to the right is my homeplace.

You couldn't ride passed that view and not stop to take it in. Day like that I'd cool my feet in the water for a bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

Abandoned shop in Enniskeane.

Nice bike clod!

Nice bike clod!

Thanks, the shop is nice too!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

With 42x21 .. the climbing is ...

5AVFWP6l.jpg

Nice looking bike Plastik. Any more photos.

Looks a bit like a Raleigh Clubman frame

hesker wrote: »
    Nice looking bike Plastik. Any more photos.

Looks a bit like a Raleigh Clubman frame

Good eye, probably very closely related. It's a 1981 Carlton Super Course that was brought back from the dead. I managed to retain most of the original parts, but changed the colour from a pearly off-white to a candy red powdercoat.

lnhuhhjl.jpg

6r56pL0l.jpg

Good eye, probably very closely related. It's a 1981 Carlton Super Course that was brought back from the dead. I managed to retain most of the original parts, but changed the colour from a pearly off-white to a candy red powdercoat.

lnhuhhjl.jpg

6r56pL0l.jpg

I love the candy red paint... Where did you get it done @Plastik and how much did you pay for? Did you sand the bike yourself or did you get it sand blasted?

The work was done out at Tallaght Powdercoating and was somewhere in the ballpark of €120-150 - I had work done on the original Carlton fork by Mercian in the UK, and it was painted to match at a later date which added extra to the cost. I started sanding the bike down but gave up when I quickly realised that modern Nitromors wasn't doing a great job at lifting the paint, so TPC sandblasted before doing the powdercoat. The finish is pretty good, almost flawless for anyone casting anything but a thorough eye over it, but when it's your frame and you're the one cleaning it down you can spot some imperfections. This is a fairly common Reynolds 531 frame of the era though and has more sentimental than monetary value so I was happy to live with them. If it was a valuable frame I think you would be less pleased, but then you'd probably go down the road of paying extra for a proper spray job.

The work was done out at Tallaght Powdercoating and was somewhere in the ballpark of €120-150 - I had work done on the original Carlton fork by Mercian in the UK, and it was painted to match at a later date which added extra to the cost. I started sanding the bike down but gave up when I quickly realised that modern Nitromors wasn't doing a great job at lifting the paint, so TPC sandblasted before doing the powdercoat. The finish is pretty good, almost flawless for anyone casting anything but a thorough eye over it, but when it's your frame and you're the one cleaning it down you can spot some imperfections. This is a fairly common Reynolds 531 frame of the era though and has more sentimental than monetary value so I was happy to live with them. If it was a valuable frame I think you would be less pleased, but then you'd probably go down the road of paying extra for a proper spray job.

I enquired because I've a Surly Cross Check with no value at all, but a sentimental one and i was asked 250 euro for a sand blast and a metallic powder coating here in Cork. Obviously a spray can would do a good enough job for a lot less...
    I find the cost of sand blasting and powder coating insane in this country. In Italy, you get your frame sand blasted for 20 euro and powder coated in a standard RAL for another 45 euro. Total 65 euro...
    I need a to buy a big suitcase... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

clod71 wrote: »
    I enquired because I've a Surly Cross Check with no value at all, but a sentimental one and i was asked 250 euro for a sand blast and a metallic powder coating here in Cork. Obviously a spray can would do a good enough job for a lot less...
    I find the cost of sand blasting and powder coating insane in this country. In Italy, you get your frame sand blasted for 20 euro and powder coated in a standard RAL for another 45 euro. Total 65 euro...
    I need a to buy a big suitcase... :D

I got a frame sand blasted and powder coated in Carlow for around €90 I think it was but as said by another if it's a particularly unique and detailed frame a good spray job is the way to go. The powder coat tends to fill in all of the fine details and you do inevitably end up with a few bubbles in the powder coat in places hard to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Just past glencree, first non commuting cycle in a few years , thought I'd be more beat

https://ibb.co/CWkvqdW

CWkvqdW

20190423-132639.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

You'd think they'd have given you a smaller race number though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

6r56pL0l.jpg

Very nice. I have a 1950s Carlton frame with original paint that I hope to get around to building up one day. Too many jobs.....

There’s a great collection of Carltons on flickr worth checking out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MfBySeIh.jpg

Advertisement