Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Were they rotating them around from location to location years ago?

Yes, there were more locations and boxes than there were cameras.
    And taking the one at Dunleer on the M1 as an example, if you set it to capture speeds of say 133kph in 120kph zone, the film would be used up in very short order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Yes, there were more locations and boxes than there were cameras.
    And taking the one at Dunleer on the M1 as an example, if you set it to capture speeds of say 133kph in 120kph zone, the film would be used up in very short order,

The whole idea of using film seems rather quaint and that was only a couple of years ago!

I think there used to be one on the M4/N4 between Lucan and the turn off for Sallins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The whole idea of using film seems rather quaint and that was only a couple of years ago!
    at least you got arty shots of the speeders, and no need for an instagram filter in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Hurrache wrote: »
    The lines are either gone now, or I just don't notice them anymore at this stage. As far as I know there were never actual cameras in place at either of those locations.

This evening I was made aware the lines are still there before the Firehouse exit northbound when the car infront braked for no apparent reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭buffalo

Cycling to the train station this morning, I was overtaken with a wide berth by a guy in a black Audi, yellow reg. Very nice, I thought, thank you. Driver stopped at the T-junction ahead, right indicator on, going same direction as myself.

I'll just move up on his left, there's plenty of space - I don't want to block his view out the passenger side, but want to be ready to follow. Then the passenger door swings open in the middle of the road as someone hops out. I'm already slowing to a stop, so no harm, but passenger pretends I'm not there as she avoids eye contact.

Car then stays stopped in the middle of the junction so the driver can make sure the passenger crosses to the top of the T okay, leaving me to awkwardly make my way past the car and across the front where I pray he doesn't decide that now is the right moment to start driving again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭downtheroad

There was an ambulance just inside the car park of Super Valu Killester this morning with a bike leaning against it, hopefully all ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Took primary position in bus lane this morning, or at least thought I did, along the north quays between four courts and capel street. A bus was stopped a good bit ahead, so I moved *slightly* right to prepare to overtake. Still very much in the lane. Bus began to move off so I didn't signal and went to move back to centre when I realised the car that had been tailgating, was taking this opportunity to undertake me, dreadfully close. Threw his hands up in the air as if to say "what am I supposed to do?"

https://streamable.com/523rr

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Took primary position in bus lane this morning, or at least thought I did, along the north quays between four courts and capel street. A bus was stopped a good bit ahead, so I moved *slightly* right to prepare to overtake. Still very much in the lane. Bus began to move off so I didn't signal and went to move back to centre when I realised the car that had been tailgating, was taking this opportunity to undertake me, dreadfully close. Threw his hands up in the air as if to say "what am I supposed to do?"

https://streamable.com/523rr
    I would report him.
    His mirror was very close to you and effectively left you with no room were you to have to suddenly swerve.
    He is also illegally driving in a bus lane and passing on the left. Plenty there for the gardai to choose from!

Registration|05D47105
    Make|NISSAN
    Model|ALMERA
    Description|1.5 SVE 4DR Euro 3
    Engine Capacity|1498

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Threw his hands up in the air as if to say "what am I supposed to do?"

I love those sort of reactions - its like: "What am I supposed to do, Take responsibility and be a safe and competent driver ?"

No, its: - WAH WAH, but CYCLISTS WAH WAH middle of of teh road WAH WAH road tax WAH WAH red lights

Stunningly ignorant to their own duty of care on the road, and to the meaning of the pink slip of card in their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Could it have been a guard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,297 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Duckjob wrote: »
    I love those sort of reactions - its like: "What am I supposed to do.

I got this verbatim from the young lady who cut me up on Eden Quay to make her left turn at Liberty Hall. I caught up at the lights, as usual, and politely asked why she had to cut me up. When she asked 'what am I supposed to do' and I answered that 'well, you could just wait behind, and we'd both still be here at the same time', I could visibly see the cogs working in her brain as she realised that she could indeed have waiting behind and she would be no worse off. Maybe next time....

Chiparus wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure that gardai are not allowed to drive in a manner that endangers vulnerable road users!

I'm fairly sure that gardai are not allowed to drive in a manner that endangers vulnerable road users!

Wasn't there a video from along the quays from a year or so ago of one tailgating a cyclist in his own car in the bus lane when the cyclist had a go at him pointed to his badge? I'll see if i can dig it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Chiparus wrote: »

Could it have been a farm labourer?

Enfilade wrote: »
    Wasn't there a video from along the quays from a year or so ago of one tailgating a cyclist in his own car in the bus lane when the cyclist had a go at him pointed to his badge? I'll see if i can dig it out.
    I had a garda flash a badge on me when I challenged him for being a prick but as there was no video, it couldn't go any further.
    With a video, it should stand, I'd have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I remember that, think there was some outrage at the time and he might have been reprimanded but not much ever came of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Remember a garda pulled in a small car for driving in the bus lane in the quays a few years ago, driver showed Id and was waved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Looks like the video has been removed: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99679281

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Detective flashed his badge for parking in a clearway/cyclelane in D2 a few years back. He was getting coffee in Centra.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Had a near miss with a pedestrian, which was strange as she approached a set of traffic lights, looked right (i presume she saw me coming) and then proceeded to walk across the road. Give her a little ring ring to hurry her out of my way.

Quite funny to use the bell for someone that you'd think would have seen me, but didnt.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Had a near miss with a pedestrian, which was strange as she approached a set of traffic lights, looked right (i presume she saw me coming) and then proceeded to walk across the road. Give her a little ring ring to hurry her out of my way.

Quite funny to use the bell for someone that you'd think would have seen me, but didnt.
    Breakdancing gorilla!

ED E wrote: »
    Detective flashed his badge for parking in a clearway/cyclelane in D2 a few years back. He was getting coffee in Centra.

I'm sure he was buying supplies for the prisoners being held in the cells at the station. That's the standard excuse response.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I'm sure he was buying supplies for the prisoners being held in the cells at the station. That's the standard excuse response.

Sorry to disappoint but that is indeed generally the case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I had a garda flash a badge on me when I challenged him for being a prick but as there was no video, it couldn't go any further.
      With a video, it should stand, I'd have thought.

I'd one of these Garda incidents as a pedestrian earlier, I posted it in Commuting and Transport.
      Breezer wrote: »
      Slightly off topic, but just had an interesting one. I'm on foot crossing a side road on Dublin, at an unsignalised T junction. A guy in a car comes along as I'm half way across the road and turns across my path. He's going slowly enough and is obviously going to yield to me, but he gets close enough before he stops and throws his hands up in the air in a "WTF?" gesture. So I stop and have a little chat with him about his duty to yield to pedestrians already crossing.

He responds by firing up his undercover siren. I tell him I don't care if he's a guard, he's still wrong. There's a bit of back and forth and him acting the hard man telling me he hopes to see me on a coroner's desk some day.

If I'd had more time I might have suggested we discuss it with his superintendent but I didn't want the eejit taking me up on it for the sake of his ego, since I actually did have somewhere to be, so we agreed to disagree.

Wonderful attitude from Ireland's finest though.

Sorry to disappoint but that is indeed generally the case

Really? Based on what?

And even if it is the case, do you think it's good practice? Do you think it could generally be avoided by finding an outlet with legal parking, such as the many petrol station shops around the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Mc Love wrote: »

I've had that with pedestrians and drivers, they look for vehicles, they see straight through you cos they are not looking for cyclists.

I scared the sh!t out of a lady in an A3 once, she pull out on my into stopped traffic, there was nothing beside or behind me.
        Its day time but I have my lights on and i'm wearing a high vis coat and a white helmet.
        I knocked on her window and she jumped a mile.
        I was polite and asked if she had seen me, she said no, I believed her.

People just don't look for bikes.
        It's scary how many people drive on auto pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Just back from 2 hour spin from Drogheda to Annagassin and back..just over 60km.

Heading back 4km from Drogheda on the Termonfeckin road, a man in a small white van decided to overtake me at same time a car was coming in the opposite direction giving me about 3 inches of space. Unbelievable. Let out a big roar at him. What a fu(c)king pr1ck.

^ The road is reasonably straight around there isn't it ? So he's likely have seen oncoming traffic and simply just couldn't be arsed waiting to pass you. Muppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

^ The road is reasonably straight around there isn't it ? So he's likely have seen oncoming traffic and simply just couldn't be arsed waiting to pass you. Muppet.

Totally.....it couldn't be more straighter.

• Advertisement
      • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The only safe option on roads like that is to take a position where they must cross into the other lane to overtake.

This discussion has been closed.
      Advertisement