Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes in the GAA - super thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Fairness..
    And also, it sullies any achievements by dublin teams competing under this arrangement.

If the money was being spent specifically on competitive inter county teams, you'd have a point. But it's not, so ergo you don't.

The Sullied thing is an opinion, which of course, you are quite entitled to hold. I have no issue with that. By the same standard, it holds no weight with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Fairness..
    And also, it sullies any achievements by dublin teams competing under this arrangement.

You ruin your first point by including your second, which only demonstrates bitterness at your county's lack of success and jealousy of Dublin's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

blanch152 wrote: »
    You ruin your first point by including your second, which only demonstrates bitterness at your county's lack of success and jealousy of Dublin's.

No I dont. Both points are clear and accurate. As ive already stated, id have zero interest in handout all irelands. Its nothing to be jealous of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Jaden wrote: »
    If the money was being spent specifically on competitive inter county teams, you'd have a point. But it's not, so ergo you don't.

The Sullied thing is an opinion, which of course, you are quite entitled to hold. I have no issue with that. By the same standard, it holds no weight with me.

It is having an effect on the the inter county teams. The evidence of that is overwhelming. I dont see why it has to be 'specific', the fact that it is having an effect is enough.

As for the second part, well it is an opinion based on facts and common sense. You can take the sort of attitude with any post on the entire forum if you so wish, as most have some level of opinion in them. That sounds like a bit of a cop out truth be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Jaden wrote: »

I don't think you should continue to use the word 'ergo' until you find out what it actually means!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

So much for the argument that Dublin not being in finals will bring the multitudes ...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bonniedog wrote: »
    So much for the argument that Dublin not being in finals will bring the multitudes ...

A triple header and an abysmal attendance.

Offered my free season ticket to people from Waterford, Limerick and Kerry. None of them bit, yet if any of them are in the All-Ireland Final, I will get phone calls looking for tickets.

What is the point in having the two finals together?

Hurling final would have been great atmosphere anywhere in Munster.

Only sizeable crowd were from Mayo, who are great followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The issue with the M7 bridge at Kildare would have put a lot of people from Kerry and Limerick off travelling.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Who made that argument?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The issue with the M7 bridge at Kildare would have put a lot of people from Kerry and Limerick off travelling.

And it was back open and all by Sunday morning too. Though the road is still a pain in the hole without the diversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Another change I'd make to the GAA is to move the games to Saturdays from Sundays. Sundays are a lot more hassle in terms of travel, having to go back to work on Monday etc. Even for the league games- I think away fans are more likely to travel if the game is on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 relgoog

gaffer91 wrote: »
    Another change I'd make to the GAA is to move the games to Saturdays from Sundays. Sundays are a lot more hassle in terms of travel, having to go back to work on Monday etc. Even for the league games- I think away fans are more likely to travel if the game is on a Saturday.

Totally agree...the Saturday night league games and Saturday qualifer games work well for those that need to travel

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

Completely disagree. Saturday night is a pain, especially if you have to travel to Croker and get home in the wee hours. Totally unsuited for small kids as well.

What should be stopped are Saturday afternoon games. Thats just unnatural for GAA matches

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Saturday night games are grand for people who are going for the few scoops before and/or after the game, and who don’t have to be home too early, since they’d then have Sunday to sleep it off. But they’re not suitable for families with younger children. I think it’s more important to consider them.

But either way, I'm just glad to see this thread change direction from the same boring old bickering about money in Dublin GAA, that I've seen a thousand times before.........!

It doesn't have to be Saturday night though? Just play Saturday afternoon instead of Sunday afternoon. No issues for the kids then, anymore than there would be on a Sunday. And also saves the hassle with travel and work for older people without kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Completely disagree. Saturday night is a pain, especially if you have to travel to Croker and get home in the wee hours. Totally unsuited for small kids as well.

What should be stopped are Saturday afternoon games. Thats just unnatural for GAA matches
    It doesnt have to be Saturday evenings and for what actual reasons should saturday afternoon games be stopped other than being unnatural. Saturday afternoon games are perfectly suited to taking young kids.
    Duffryman wrote: »
    Saturday night games are grand for people who are going for the few scoops before and/or after the game, and who don’t have to be home too early, since they’d then have Sunday to sleep it off. But they’re not suitable for families with younger children. I think it’s more important to consider them.

But either way, I'm just glad to see this thread change direction from the same boring old bickering about money in Dublin GAA, that I've seen a thousand times before.........!
    Saturday evening games work well with bringing kids if you look at provincial rugby games so why should it be factor with GAA games?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

If you’re talking the likes of Leinster in the RDS or Munster in Thomond Park, I’d wager that the vast majority of people bringing young kids to those games are just travelling from Dublin or Limerick anyway.

Would be a different story for the likes of Waterford away to Clare or Limerick in the Munster hurling championship, or Galway away to Kilkenny or Wexford in Leinster.

What's wrong with Saturday afternoon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

What's wrong with Saturday afternoon?

I'd imagine there is a huge proportion of the population working on a Saturday compared to a Sunday - Saturday afternoon throw in's have been notoriously poorly attended

Saturday afternoons don't have a great history. Evenings are usually well attended if venue is not big journey for either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Duffryman wrote: »
    If you’re talking the likes of Leinster in the RDS or Munster in Thomond Park, I’d wager that the vast majority of people bringing young kids to those games are just travelling from Dublin or Limerick anyway.

Would be a different story for the likes of Waterford away to Clare or Limerick in the Munster hurling championship, or Galway away to Kilkenny or Wexford in Leinster.
    Far from case at any of them. Same with Connacht. Fans travelling from all over. significant enough numbers with young kids wouldnt simply be travelling from city game is played in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

In fairness Connachts home European games wouldnt draw the crowd of a Galway county final so i wouldnt use them as a barometer.

I know Thomand for European games is only ever full for Sat eve & Sunday afternoon games,It's rare that they get a full house on Saturday afternoon and only play when TV dictates.

It makes perfect sense for the GAA to keep with Sunday afternoon as the prime time slot with a sprinkling of Sat night games.

Prop Joe wrote: »
    I'd imagine there is a huge proportion of the population working on a Saturday compared to a Sunday - Saturday afternoon throw in's have been notoriously poorly attended

This is only my own personal experience, but as someone who does work weekends, I've found that when you're on, you're typically on for both days, not just one of the two.
    Saturday afternoons don't have a great history. Evenings are usually well attended if venue is not big journey for either.

I'd say this is mostly because such games have been fairly meaningless qualifiers. I don't think people would skip the game purely because it's on a Saturday.
    Prop Joe wrote: »
    It makes perfect sense for the GAA to keep with Sunday afternoon as the prime time slot with a sprinkling of Sat night games.

It doesn't though- Sunday is a lot of hassle for working people in terms of travel home etc. I'm happy for Saturday night games but other people have cited the issues for kids. As such, Saturday afternoon seems to suit everyone.

I know one of the reasons that Croke Park games with expectation of big crowds were moved from afternoon to evening was Garda advice on the massive traffic congestion with match traffic adding to shoppers and Saturday workers.

People from long distances have legitimate issues about leaving Dublin at 9,30 at night, but that's the reason.

Similar would apply to any major game in any of the other likely venues outside Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

seligehgit wrote: »
    Right and proper it only a cost race trying to get an advantage

Slava Ukrainii

seligehgit wrote: »
    Right and proper it only a cost race trying to get an advantage

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

How many teams go on them? And what real benefit are they?

Surely nothing can be got from them than the week in Bear Island or wherever.

Important too, that it doesn't stop teams getting holidays together if they do well.

Advertisement