Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Second Captains

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

The "political" podcast on climate change, what a load of ****. Nothing new, dull and plain rubbish. I like the idea of the odd podcast on a different subject but these political podcasts are awful.

They need to stop releasing the political pods on a Friday. Nobody wants to be depressed going into the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

styron wrote: »
    JOE.ie not balls - a better class of click harvester than Gilroy's grubby side-line.

The word "class" should never be used in the same sentence as either of those two ****e box websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The "political" podcast on climate change, what a load of ****. Nothing new, dull and plain rubbish. I like the idea of the odd podcast on a different subject but these political podcasts are awful.

Climate change? Think I might be deleting that right away

• Registered Users Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The political pod guests have been very hit and miss. More miss than hit in fact.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I heard your man from today's pod talking to Sean Moncrieff a few weeks ago, it's not a particulary uplifting topic, but it's hard to ignore the reality of it, the weather has been getting stranger over the last few years.

Tommy Smith who played for Liverpool has died, I remember they had him on OTB 10 years ago, he talked about how he lost disability payments because someone 'grasssssed' on him for taking a penalty at a charity event, seemed like a very angry man in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Cienciano wrote: »

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Definitely an instant swipe away.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tommy Smith who played for Liverpool has died, I remember they had him on OTB 10 years ago, he talked about how he lost disability payments because someone 'grasssssed' on him for taking a penalty at a charity event, seemed like a very angry man in general.

Sounds like a lovely bloke :rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Smith_(footballer,_born_1945)
    In 1988, Smith caused controversy after stating in an interview with the author Dave Hill that Howard Gayle "suffered from a black man's attitude towards the white man. See, everybody thinks whites have an attitude towards blacks. In reality it's blacks who have a problem with the whites... I used to call Howard the 'White N****r'. Now that is a compliment. It was the only way I could find to describe that I thought he was OK." Smith then went on to comment to Hill that "I'm not prejudiced but if a coon moved in next door, I'd move, like most white people would. If my daughter came home with a n****r, I'd go mad. But I'm only being truthful and normal." Smith intended to sue Hill, but found he had no grounds to take legal action as Hill had recorded all of Smith's comments on tape during the interview.

So if it hadn't been for the tape recording, Smith would have stood up in court and denied he'd said these things, in order to get money.

Scummy.

Life ain't always empty.

Arghus wrote: »
    ?

Shít we already know, a few new facts and figures. That's it.

Shít we already know, a few new facts and figures. That's it.

Fair enough, though I will say this guy's book has been getting a lot of press. IMO it's a bit of a coup to have him on talking about. It's pretty apocalyptic stuff.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    Fair enough, though I will say this guy's book has been getting a lot of press. IMO it's a bit of a coup to have him on talking about. It's pretty apocalyptic stuff.

We had An Inconvenience Truth with similar stuff over 10 years ago. I agree stuff needs to be done, but I'm just not interested in listening to a podcast about it. I gave it a go, got 40 minutes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

We had An Inconvenience Truth with similar stuff over 10 years ago. I agree stuff needs to be done, but I'm just not interested in listening to a podcast about it. I gave it a go, got 40 minutes in.

I’m sick of hearing about it. Joe rogan had a climate change lad on a few weeks ago and I barely lasted an hour and I lost the will to live. It’s been done to death as a topic. There’s only so much we as individuals can do, I mostly drive electric, when I can’t I skate electric, I recycle what I can but it’s a complete waste of time when you have whole continents that don’t give a flying fück. Therefore it’s irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Hippo

I thought the climate change pod was excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭bren2001

Hippo wrote: »
    I thought the climate change pod was excellent

I thought it was very good as well. Was there anything "new" in it? No but he outlines the importance of the topic very clearly. It's an incredibly important conversation to have and is not one we are really having in this country. The effects of climate change are real, they are happening now and the world is doing very little about it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I like how Ken identifed with young Kevin De Bruyne because he stayed in his room and didn't talk to anyone.

I have no recollection of that interview they did with Delaney in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I like how Ken identifed with young Kevin De Bruyne because he stayed in his room and didn't talk to anyone.

I have no recollection of that interview they did with Delaney in 2010.

that was a live show with Newstalk

Yeah I know, just saying I've no memory of it at all for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

should be a good one tomorrow

I'm a day behind, the bloodgate bit was good. Have to agree with Shane, the cover up and trying to hang Tom Williams was actually worse than the fake blood.

I think I'll definitely give the domestic soccer 'coverage' a miss from now on. I should have known after the last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

I think I'll definitely give the domestic soccer 'coverage' a miss from now on. I should have known after the last time.

What didn't you like? I'm a LOI fan and thought it was fine? The journalist they had on is my favourite to listen to on second captains.

What didn't you like? I'm a LOI fan and thought it was fine? The journalist they had on is my favourite to listen to on second captains.

I didn't get as far as him after their opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

I didn't get as far as him after their opening.

Thanks for wasting our time with your posts so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

And I'm not an LOI fan and I also thought it was fine, in fact I quite enjoyed it. Some people just have to be different.

Their excoriation of Man Utd was also quite good, going to be an interesting summer for them.

elefant wrote: »
    Thanks for wasting our time with your posts so.

What are you going on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

How can you say its not worth listening to if you didn't even listen to it?

I thought it was a good chat about the league in general and how its changed recently

"He dominated the midfield the same way a crèche attendant dominates a group of toddlers"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Not sure that soccer is the biggest participation sport in Ireland.

Is David Sneyd right with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

lawred2 wrote: »

It probaby is the biggest team participation if you count unorganised games like 5 a side.

Swimming, cycling and running probably have more people doing them but are individual sports

If its organised sport then surely GAA is the biggest as its in every parish in the country!

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »

Participation sport. As people participate in it, that does include 5 a sides and kids kicking the ball around at lunch.

It is the biggest. It's not even close.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement