Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Home FAQ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Thanks for sharing in-depth information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

So podcasts from BBC no longer work?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

jogdish wrote: »

What app are you using?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

What app are you using?
    App?
    Last week I used to say "Okay Google play BBC newshour podcast" - worked perfect, since Thursday it's not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

jogdish wrote: »

Not a bug: https://www.androidauthority.com/bbc-podcasts-google-969869/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

Direct from the BBC...

BBC podcasts on third-party apps

Because Google direct users who search for BBC podcasts to the actual podcasts rather than the BBC Sounds app, which is not available outside the UK, the BBC is blocking Google. I know they're taxpayer-funded, but this seems a bit heavy-handed.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You can still cast them from an app.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Got a Google mini and have it parked next to Alexa as not sure where else to put it... Anyhoooo

Alexa - Play LMFM and it does, no problem. My mrs always listens to this radio station.

Hey Google, play lmfm or louth meath fm or loud mead fm on tune in etc and it does not. Cant find it, cannot be played at this time.

Absolutely infuriating. No matter what else it does the fact this bit is so annoying means its a dismal failure in her eyes.. Anyone got a remedy for such a simple task?

Got a Google mini and have it parked next to Alexa as not sure where else to put it... Anyhoooo

Alexa - Play LMFM and it does, no problem. My mrs always listens to this radio station.

Hey Google, play lmfm or louth meath fm or loud mead fm on tune in etc and it does not. Cant find it, cannot be played at this time.

Absolutely infuriating. No matter what else it does the fact this bit is so annoying means its a dismal failure in her eyes.. Anyone got a remedy for such a simple task?
    Google has issues with TuneIn at times, RTE 1 was just not working for months.

Have you tried doing okay G play xxx mhz or fm, it can be hard to get the diction correct when saying how many hunder mega hertz etc , you could test this trying using the google assistant on the phone (typing in the query)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

couple of quirks for google Home
    1) 2.4ghz vs 5ghz wifi - Upgraded to Vodafone gigabit and got nw router, since then the google home was droping connection all the time. found he issue. Vodafone router is set up as default to band switch to balance devices between two bands. I turned off band switching and bingo, no more drops. So now i have it turned back on for all devices but Google Home.

2) I used to say "hey google, play radio x uk" and then it plays radio x uk from tunein. lst week i stoped working, that command took it to spotify and some batsh1t crazy song. Found out the command is now "Hey google, play radio x london" back in action.

Just got a google home hub today. So, Home hub is going into Kitchen and Google home into main bedroom, Google mini to kids room. Tried out broadcast this evening adn perfect. Time to figure some nice hacks for the Hub. love it so far though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

BrookieD wrote: »
    So, Home hub is going into Kitchen and Google home into main bedroom, Google mini to kids room. Tried out broadcast this evening adn perfect.

I've Home Hub in the Kitchen. It really annoys me how poor the microphone is on it. I nearly have to get up, walk over to it, and shout so that it will hear me.
    Home & mini will pick up my voice no problem, but not the Hub. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I've Home Hub in the Kitchen. It really annoys me how poor the microphone is on it. I nearly have to get up, walk over to it, and shout so that it will hear me.
    Home & mini will pick up my voice no problem, but not the Hub. :mad:

Yeah, I replaced a home with a hub and am noticing the same, the mic is poor on the hub. I may move it somewhere else and get a Lenovo, my mam has one and it's got a decent mic and a webcam for video calling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Just noticed that I can tell my GH to turn Do Not Disturb on and off on my phone.

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

What cameras, apart from the nest, work to the Google Home Hub. Mainly outdoor

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Yeah, I replaced a home with a hub and am noticing the same, the mic is poor on the hub. I may move it somewhere else and get a Lenovo, my mam has one and it's got a decent mic and a webcam for video calling

Strange, mine is grand. It's across the living room beside the telly and can pick me up just talking over the sound of the TV.

That said, I'd still have the Lenovo as it's too small a screen. I've a 10" Lenovo in the kitchen and it's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

mic on mine is ok, something to watch though

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

thecivvie wrote: »

The kasa cameras work to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

BrookieD wrote: »
    mic on mine is ok, something to watch though

It's not that it's faulty. It's that the mic is nowhere near as good as the Home or the Mini. Maybe it's the location of the mic. I find I have to speak while facing it, where the Home and the Mini I don't need to. My hub is sort of behind me on the couch in the opposite corner to the TV so it may be my sitting room layout (large room) that causes me to notice a big difference. I have to turn around to face it to make sure it understands, never had to do that with either the Home or the Mini

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Swann works with google home as well, but it's not the smoothest integration ever mind you.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Logitech Circle cameras too. Great cameras, but the integration isn't great, it takes at least 30 seconds to view the feed. I've sort of given up on this feature for now.

Any one have experience of the Nest cameras? Do they have the same issue or work better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

https://youtube.googleblog.com/2019/04/enjoy-youtube-music-free-on-google-home.html

Music fans can now listen to free, ad-supported YouTube Music on smart speakers in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Australia, Great Britain, Ireland, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Japan, Netherlands, and Austria. It’ll be available in more countries soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

anyones routines not working correctly?

when i say"goodnight" is is supposed to turn off my hue lights, but now it's asking to set an alarm and plays nature sounds

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

when i say"goodnight" is is supposed to turn off my hue lights, but now it's asking to set an alarm and plays nature sounds
    Has it been drinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Bed time is one of the default routines and one of the trigger words is goodnight. You might have to rename yours or change trigger words

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

You haven't put a new GH in that room have you? Had exactly the same thing when moved a Mini out of the back room and replaced it with a full size Google home.

Expected it to just automatically recognise voices and routines, but had to go in via the app to set up voice match, then it shared the voice match from the rest of the GH's with the new one, and all was good again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Just wondering if this is possible via Google Home, I've a light that GH can already turn on/off. What I'd like is for it turn it on every evening at sunset & then turn it off at midnight again. Any pointers appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

opus wrote: »
    Just wondering if this is possible via Google Home, I've a light that GH can already turn on/off. What I'd like is for it turn it on every evening at sunset & then turn it off at midnight again. Any pointers appreciated.

Not as far as I'm aware, and trying to get that sort of thing working (Tradfri) is the reason I've been getting more and more frustrated trying to get Home Assistant to run over the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

What light are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

A side lamp plugged into an el-cheapo smart socket (Smartlife brand I think).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

A side lamp plugged into an el-cheapo smart socket (Smartlife brand I think).

Could you use IFTTT to schedule it?
    https://ifttt.com/smartlife

Advertisement