Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Currently trying to beat Double Dragon 3 on the NES. Used to play it a lot as a kid, don't think I ever completed it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Isn't that the really mean one with no lives or continues?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Isn't that the really mean one with no lives or continues?

Yep, well you get a single continue after the 4th stage but that's it.

Apparently there's a couple of cheats, one to skip stages and another to continue after either stage 4 or 5. Neither seemed to work for me, might only be for NTSC....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well at least it isn't the arcade Double Dragon 3... I'm not sure what happened there but that game is pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Just finished a no walkthrough* play of Silent Hill 2 for the first time ever. Much more enjoyable without a guide. Had some trouble with Enhanced Edition but got it sorted in the end. Voice acting isn't as bad as people made it out to be when the voices were redone for the abomination HD Collection.

*had to use a walkthrough for the coin puzzle in the apartment, I put a coin in by accident so could no longer read the riddle hinting at the coin locations

7HkSgS5.jpg

QGqe0dW.jpg

• Advertisement

Congrats. I think it's one of the best games ever made. In terms of story and writing no other game really comes close.

Completed Double Dragon 3 on the NES. Only took 25 years. :)

IMAG0537.jpg

IMAG0545.jpg

IMAG0552.jpg

IMAG0555.jpg

IMAG0559.jpg

IMAG0562.jpg

IMAG0574.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Finished Donkey Kong on the gameboy as part of the Retro Asylum game club.
    Cracking little game!

Finished Donkey Kong on the gameboy as part of the Retro Asylum game club.
    Cracking little game!

IMG-20190419-122208.jpg
    IMG-20190419-122224.jpg
    IMG-20190419-122446.jpg

Started FFV on the SNES at the weekend while hungover and totally addicted.

I can see why this was the game in japan to really kick the series into the stratosphere of popularity there.

The graphics are ok and the story is simplistic junk. The music however is great.

What really makes this game fun is how weird it is and how much options it gives the player even if some of those options don't work. It's what sets RPGs like this and Symphony of the Night apart from the tedious dreck like Ni No Kuni

What sets it apart is the job system. It's just so addictive creating totally broken characters. This is the game where the FF series got weird. I've been messing around with Blue Magic in this run and its equal parts overpowered and totally useless.

I can imagine when this game came out in japan and the schoolyard conversations.

'if you max out a ninja you get two weapons and can attack twice with any class'
    'Yeah but with a max archer you attack 4 times'
    '... what if you combine a ninja and archer, can you attack 8 times?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,410 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Spent yesterday evening trying out that new 8Bitdo pad by playing Quick Shot. It's actually one of the games I originally had for my Megadrive when I was a kid, bought it for £30 in Tesco after winning money in a pub raffle. (My grandparents bought me a ticket, I wasn't an 8 year old gambler, I swear!)

Haven't actually played it in about 20 years - a part of my brain still vividly remembered every single track and sound effect, I must have burned them in with repetition. Catchy tunes!

I'm going to give this a whirl as soon as I get a chance - it's supposed to be good:

https://twitter.com/GreatBitBlog/status/1125499815146684416

Got to the end game of FF5. Really enjoying the game. I've beaten the terrible PS1 version of this game before but so far nothing beyond the opening I remember of this game. The story really is utterly rubbish but it's enough to keep the game ticking along. Then again the story isn't what keeps the game going, it's the excellent job system.

So currently gaining enough JP to start unlocking the more broken top level abilities and turn my team into a bunch of unbeatable bad asses.

The end game is very interesting, you can go straight to the final dungeon but to do that would be to miss out on a lot. The whole world map has opened up and you can complete loads of side quests for top tier weapons, spells and summons. There's loads to do. Many later FF games did a similar thing but FF5 is the first that has done it, and probably only been matched by FF6 and FF12 for end game content that's worthwhile and fun (some games like FF10 have loads of not fun end game content).

Have played Double Dragon, Rygar and Monster in my Pocket on the NES recently. Got to the final boss in Rygar but no joy.
    Finding DD much more difficult than DD3, it's a more interesting game though.
    Beat Monster in my Pocket, it's an ok game, not terrible but wouldn't be dying to play it again.

IMAG0602.jpg

IMAG0615.jpg

Beat FF5 on the SNES.just a great fun game to mess around with and at 35 hours it's nicely paced.

Master of the Universe

Playing Gato Roboto on the Switch at the moment. Really enjoying it, it's slightly discounted on the Switch store at the moment - bit of a steal.

Imagine you're playing Metroid, however you are Samus's cat off exploring while Samus is trapped in the ship.

Most of the time is spent in a robo suit you find, however you've to sometimes get out of the suit as a cat to solve puzzles.

Only down size is is the length, I read you can finish it in about 3.5 hours

I played 2 hours last night and was only really getting into it, kinda saddened to think it would be over so quickly.

I got Gunlord X on the switch the other day and it's really good too - very turrican like !
    Gato Roboto is on my wishlist also.

Playing Final Fantasy Mystic quest.

Put 4.5 hours into. Feels like I've put a lifetime into it.

It's just a miserable experience.

The battle system is bad, everything is super simplified and the puzzle elements are brain dead. At least the music is nice.

I know the game was made by Square for the western audience to try and introduce them to RPGs but if I have of played this game back then it would have put me off RPGs for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Just finished my first (bad ending) run through 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors and while there is no way I'd have played this 10 years ago I couldn't put it down...

So this is not what I am playing, but what I will be playing this weekend... I'm off to revival in the UK: https://www.revivalretroevents.co.uk/index.php/component/k2/item/37-revival-2019-event-information

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Playing Devolver Bootleg. It's a series of 8 bit demakes of their other games. It's kind of awful but hard to put down at the same time. Finished Hotline Milwaukee anyway, which is more than I managed with the infinitely frustrating Hotline Miami 2.

Ape Out Jnr. is my favourite so far.

Master of the Universe

o1s1n wrote: »
    Playing Gato Roboto on the Switch at the moment..

I played 2 hours last night and was only really getting into it, kinda saddened to think it would be over so quickly.

Well I think that comment came back to bite me in the ass. It's apparently a 3.5 hour game, I'm at six hours now.

Would like to pretend it's because I'm trying to find all the hidden areas but I'm actually at what feels like end game and can't figure out where to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Not quite retro but I've just finished GTA IV.

Me: large library of unfinished retro and current gen games.

Me: I'll play GTA IV for the third time...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Just finished my first (bad ending) run through 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors and while there is no way I'd have played this 10 years ago I couldn't put it down...

And done plus 15 hours into virtue's last reward... Going back to college in september so have only a few months left of retro gaming for a while :D

Master of the Universe

Well I think that comment came back to bite me in the ass. It's apparently a 3.5 hour game, I'm at six hours now.

Would like to pretend it's because I'm trying to find all the hidden areas but I'm actually at what feels like end game and can't figure out where to go!

As always, there was stupid door in a random corner that I assumed was just to a hidden area but it turns out it was to the final area of the game.

Finished it now anyway, all that added running around was actually a bit of fun.

Decided I needed more of the same and downloaded Hollow Knight for the Switch. Tried playing it before on Steam but didn't like the jumping as it felt off, so I gave up on it - turns out it was the bluetooth on my NES30 lagging!

It's gorgeous to play on the Switch, really suits handheld mode.

Master of the Universe

Any of you guys tried Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night yet? Spiritual successor to Castlevania, SOTN - hearing really great things about it.

Due a Switch physical release at the end of the month.

Played a little of it and dying to play more. Let's just say they nailed it. Friend is raving about it as well.

Its very good. Its the first Metroidvania I've played, including Sotn and Super Metroid, and I'm loving it. Seems like there's a ton of content too

Any of you guys tried Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night yet? Spiritual successor to Castlevania, SOTN - hearing really great things about it.

Due a Switch physical release at the end of the month.

I'm holding out for this. It's getting rave reviews.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Excellent, really excited about trying it out. Kind of kicking myself for buying Hollow Knight now as I'm really enjoying it but two Metroidvanias at once is a bit mad. :eek:
    Its very good. Its the first Metroidvania I've played, including Sotn and Super Metroid, and I'm loving it. Seems like there's a ton of content too

Never played any before at all? Lot of great games ahead of you! I didn't get into them really until the Castlevania games on the DS in the mid 2000's. Very prompty went out then and bought SOTN and Super Metroid.

Advertisement