Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterways Ireland clear felling trees.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got til its gone
    They paved paradise
    And put up a parking lot

They took all the trees
    And put 'em in a tree museum
    And they charged the people
    A dollar and a half to seem 'em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I just looked at some of the photos there and the trees felled seem to have been between the towpath and the river. Not sure if they would damage the riverbank? Certainly along canals that area would always have been clear to protect the stone lining, and also because barges were horse drawn so they needed the bank to be clear of any obstructions (because of the tow rope).

Generally a tree canopy can overhang a towpath from the other side, and still be good for wildlife.

Not everyone likes hard surfaces in a nature setting, but I'm a fan where the path is well constructed and narrow, and if nature is allowed to go wild all around.
    For example, sometimes you will get a boardwalk through a bog or a marsh, or wet forest. Other times a tarmac path through an area that would otherwise be muddy or overgrown with brambles.
    Its the contrast I like, between the human accessibility of the path, and the nature undisturbed beyond it.

It has to be done right though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And in the right season.

Advertisement