Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

American oil beetle, are these native to Ireland?

Options
  • 09-04-2019 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭

Seen a large beetle out on my walk, took a photo and googled it. This looked like it. First time I ever saw one and it was an impressive size. So, are these common, and native?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was it possibly a devil's coach horse?
    no photos attached, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

was it possibly a devil's coach horse?
    no photos attached, btw.

No, not devils coach horse. Deffo looks like oil beetle. I tried uploading image but image is too big on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HoteiMarkii

Without an image it's just a guessing game really, but most likely a native insect species and not an American Oil Beetle.

How the devil do you post images here? It's on my phone and it won't allow me to upload it because boards says it's too big.

Edit is there an Irish oil beetle equivalent?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

emo72 wrote: »
    How the devil do you post images here? It's on my phone and it won't allow me to upload it because boards says it's too big.
    Upload it to an image hosting service like tinypic,com, and copy and paste the link provided for message boards. It'll add the appropriate image tags for you. Probably best to use the option to resize it to a reasonable size like 640x480 or 800x600 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭HoteiMarkii

I'm aware of a Violet Oil Beetle (Meloe violaceus) which is a species found here. Never seen one though. There may be other similar looking species from the same genus present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm aware of a Violet Oil Beetle (Meloe violaceus) which is a species found here. Never seen one though. There may be other similar looking species from the same genus present.

Also look up Meloe proscarabeus

I'll try again
    there you go lads. what do youd think? impressive looking critter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

emo72 wrote: »
    I'll try again
    there you go lads. what do youd think? impressive looking critter.

Yes, Meloe proscarabeus.

Adults seen from April to June.

mystery solved. it was the steel blue legs that threw me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Well spotted - Very nice beetle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭Thud

Sorry to jump in on this thread, any ideas on what this insect is?
    Thought it was a bee at first but on closer inspection the wing casing would suggest not, possibly beetle/hoverfly/horsefly?

478185.jpeg

Advertisement